Doing badly and need some help

Options
I've been on MFP for a month and although I have tracked practically every day, I've actually gained weight rather than lose it. Granted I've only gained 3 lbs but its still a step in the wrong direction.

I'd like to take the rest of this week to look at my weaknesses and find ways to fix them so on Monday morning, I can refocus on my goals. However, I am lost in a maze of options and could use some help.

The 1st issue is that I cannot cook and I am on a strict budget. I have been trying to learn from a basic cookbook but the meals are mainly for family cooking with no indication of calorie content. I am looking to replace/complement this with a basic/beginners cookbook designed for single people. Ideally, the meals should be quick to make as I have a very hectic schedule at the moment.

The 2nd issue is I have no exercise in my life and looking to add an exercise dvd to my daily life. But again, I am no expert on exercise dvds to know what would be suitable for an obese person starting out. Again, I am looking for something that will not cost the earth and will slot easily into my schedule.

In both cases, I have tried to search online but I am sure I don't need to describe how many search results appeared. After an evening of reading and researching, I am just dizzy.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions and welcome any questions that may help.

Replies

• tesstcool
    tesstcool Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hey! Also on a budget here. Just some quick advice. First, when you shop go for the outer part of the store and stay away from the center isles. Just a rule of thumb. Try pinterest for simple recipes and searching. Plus the added bonus of pictures! For cheap quick workouts try youtube. Just type in what youd like to try followed by "for beginners."
  • MarkFraser142
    MarkFraser142 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    First of all, I am really sorry to hear about your situation. I have a proposed fix for you that I might may work. I DO NOT suggest that you do this over the long term. However, this might be a good kickstarter to your weight loss goals.

In regards to dieting, you have a couple of problems - you don't know how to cook, you don't have a lot of money and you don't have a lot of time. You might want to consider buying a TON of Wal Mart frozen dinners and eating them for all of your meals for 4 weeks. Check the calorie count on each box to make sure that they are not too high. But most of them are in the 300-400 calorie range. I'd also try to throw in some fruits and vegetables in there as well. I had similar problems to you back in the day and used this method to drop 100lbs.

THIS IS NOT HE HEALTHIEST WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT. But, it'll get you started. Once you begin dropping some pounds, try to SLOWLY replace these dinners with whole foods.

I know that price is an issue for you, but these things go for $1.00 - 1.50 a pop. Again, I do not suggest that you do this long term. However, this is a good way to *easily* eat a deficit without much cooking.

In regards to exercise, you want something cheap and that won't mess you up too much because you're obese. That's easy. Walk. Walk for 30-60 minutes every day. It might be a little bit hard to do this at first depending on your size, but just get to it and try your best. Once walking becomes easier you can try a couch to 5k running program. But in the meantime, just focus on getting 30-60 minutes of walking out of the way a day.

The above method I mentioned above is cheap and easy. From a nutrition side, it's not the best thing to do long term. However, it'll be a good kick start to your diet. Just make sure you eat at a deficit and if you need any help, feel free to PM me.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You don't need to change the way you eat or start any specific workout program. Keep eating what you have been, just eat less of it, and go outside and take a walk. Have you tried out the Recipe Builder tool on here? It's under the Food option. You input the ingredients in your recipes and the number of servings, and it automatically calculates the nutrition information per serving.
  • MaryACoffey
    Options
    I also am on a budget and have a job sitting behind a desk, here are a few things that seem to help and cost nothing. Stand up and walk in place while watching TV, the TV is a distraction and before you know it you've walked an hour without ever having to leave home. It really is little things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, get off the bus/train one stop early and walk the rest of the way. Also scroll thru the TV guide there are exercise shows on most of the public access channels that you can tape and play back for guidance. Search the internet for free yoga in the park or chair yoga/aerobics - I used this when I started exercising because I was very out of shape and couldn't do regular exercise. You could try having fruit and/or salad for lunch (it really does make a difference). Lastly my favorite quick dinner - steam 2 cups of mixed frozen veggies - add 1 cup cooked whole wheat pasta, a 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes cut in half, salt pepper and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. This is inexpensive if you look for those sales, holds up well in the fridge and lasts a couple of meals. But MOST IMPORTANT don't give up. It has taken me since the beginning of March to lose 5 pounds.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You don't need to change the way you eat or start any specific workout program. Keep eating what you have been, just eat less of it, and go outside and take a walk. Have you tried out the Recipe Builder tool on here? It's under the Food option. You input the ingredients in your recipes and the number of servings, and it automatically calculates the nutrition information per serving.

+1. You can also check out websites like fitness blender and blogilates for free workouts. Youtube has some of the Jillian Michaels workouts available as well.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    What I like to do is cook up a big batch of something (usually protein) that I can easily mix with other things during the week.
    This week, I bought chicken thighs ($5), threw some salt and pepper on them and stuck them on the BBQ for 15 minutes. Yesterday, I ate chicken, green beans and potatoes. Tomorrow, I am having chicken and rice. The next day, I'll make a big green salad with cut up chicken. Veggies are not hard to boil, and are generally cheap. They make frozen, microwaveable rice, or throw a potato in the microwave.

I enjoy Fitness Blender for free workout videos. You can sort by time, body focus and difficultly level.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of different advice. In the end, you have to do what works for you.

-Make half of what you eat fruits and veggies. Half of everything. They're healthy, low-cal and filling. Fruit is yummy, too.

- exercise. I think swimming is easiest when you're fat. You don't feel hot and sweaty because you're n the water. You get cardio to burn the fat and resistance to work the muscles. It burns calories like nothing else can. You work all your muscles. It's easy on joints. And the fat doesn't hold you back like it does with so many other forms of exercise. If you can't swim, walk. Walking isn't too hard on you.

That's it. The easiest ways to kick things off, IMO.

Good luck!!!
  • AntiqueFuchsia
    Options
    Have you tried out the Recipe Builder tool on here?

Thanks all for the advice so far.

I have tried the Recipe Builder on here for some of the meals I have cooked. It was a little confusing at first but I am sure once I am more use to cooking it will become easier.

My very long story short is that I was a carer for my Grandparents. They went downhill and died within a year of each other. Because I did not qualify for benefits to cover this, I also was working while trying to deal with everything else going on. My diet therefore consisted mainly of fast food, takeaways and ready meals because I was too busy/lazy (take your pick) to cook. Once both had passed away, the local authority who owned the house, in their wisdom, forced me out.

So, I have moved to a house in a really rough area with an extremely high crime rate because its all I could afford. t am determined to use this as a fresh start to change my ways to prevent/delay hereditary issues that I am at high risk of. Cooking from scratch is therefore important to me.

I have already successful cut out soda/fizzy pop from my life and now drink only water - a change that did wonders for my keratosis pilaris and acne.

As for walking, let's nip that idea in the bud. My neighborhood is not safe enough to do that and/or I'm too much of a chicken to risk it given the horror stories I have heard since moving here.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    get a crockpot. those are well worth the $40 investment

also mfp has a recipe builder. just put in the ingredients and number of servings you are making then voila calories per serving
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for a month and although I have tracked practically every day, I've actually gained weight rather than lose it. Granted I've only gained 3 lbs but its still a step in the wrong direction.

I'd like to take the rest of this week to look at my weaknesses and find ways to fix them so on Monday morning, I can refocus on my goals. However, I am lost in a maze of options and could use some help.

The 1st issue is that I cannot cook and I am on a strict budget. I have been trying to learn from a basic cookbook but the meals are mainly for family cooking with no indication of calorie content. I am looking to replace/complement this with a basic/beginners cookbook designed for single people. Ideally, the meals should be quick to make as I have a very hectic schedule at the moment.

The 2nd issue is I have no exercise in my life and looking to add an exercise dvd to my daily life. But again, I am no expert on exercise dvds to know what would be suitable for an obese person starting out. Again, I am looking for something that will not cost the earth and will slot easily into my schedule.

In both cases, I have tried to search online but I am sure I don't need to describe how many search results appeared. After an evening of reading and researching, I am just dizzy.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions and welcome any questions that may help.

My advice, though weird, is to stop cooking. Maybe you gained because you're making these family style meals and not measuring right. Just eat lots of veggies. It's Tuesday and the only thing I've cooked since last Tuesday were egg whites.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I am no cook either. So it's pretty simple stuff, one of my favorites is a hamburger paddy with canned spinach, no fat cottage cheese. Eating out, Subway is a great value choice, sandwiches typically low in calories, just stay away from the chips and cookies.

All weight loss is---is calories in versus calories out. Meaning eat less, move more. It doesn't matter what you're eating as long as you stay within your calorie daily limits. If you're faithful about logging your calories each day it won't be long before you figure out what foods you're eating that are loaded with empty calories. High in sugar, and fatty food sources. Watch not only what you're eating, but the calories in what you're drinking.

As far as exercise, start out slow by walking more. Once you're comfortable with that, pick up your speed and go longer distances.

Remember a calorie is a calorie regardless if it comes from carrots or cookies, protein, fat or carbs.

Welcome and good luck!
  • tatumpa3
    tatumpa3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started again today too. What I have found to be "most" helpful is a George Foreman Grill. Wal-Mart's seems to have the most reasonably priced boneless, skinless chicken breasts. One breast is actually 2 meals (if you measure your food). Are you measuring? 3-4 oz of meat is all we need. Also, white fish fillets (I like ocean perch). Both cook in less than 5 minutes on the Foreman grill. I have to watch my carbs (sugar intake). So I changed my goals to 25% carbs (I think it is like 75 grams per day). Dr. Oz said that "fat" doesn't make you fat... sugar (carbs) do! That is true for me. And I plan to drink lots of water. This is my biggest challenge. Juice (loaded with carbs) and even diet pop is expensive! And I don't like diet pop, so I stick to water or coffee or tea. The problem with microwave meals (Atkins, Weight Watchers, etc.) .... I never have enough room in my freezer! It is stocked with lots of frozen vegetables! I actually was starving today at 5 pm (I had to work today, so couldn't get my blood work done until 4 pm and I had to fast). I started to get a burger & fries, but I got a salad from Micky D's instead! But I know "eating out" is a killer ... temptation wise as well as budget wise!

Try the Biggest Loser Power Walk (Low-Impact Cardiuo Kick-Starts Weight Loss) DVD! I probably exercised once this summer and I was able to keep up! It is 16 minutes. I "forced" myself to get up early to do it. In a few (tonight) I will do Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds! It is low impact too. It's a 15 minute mile (4 mile per hour pace). Just walk in place if it is too much. After a week you will be able to do the entire 15 minutes! It will feel sooooooooooooooo good! :smile:

We can motivate each other! I'll make you my buddy! :smile: My goal is to lose 50 lbs. That won't get me to the "ideal" weight, but I know I will feel soooooooooo much better! Good luck!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest money savers is frozen vegetables. I get the store brand and I will stock up on them when they are on sale. I do the same thing with meats. I will buy a family pack and portion and weigh them out and put them in the freezer. It doesn't take much time or effort to cook them either. I just use different seasonings to add some extra flavor to my chicken. You can also Google "Healthy Cooking For One" and you can find some ideas for meals that way too. Also if you can invest in a food scale. You can find a good one for about $20 on Amazon.

As far as the exercise goes, look up Walk Away The Pounds by Leslie Sansone. Her workouts are easy to do and you can tailor them to fit how much time you have. Her DVD's are about $9-$12 but you can look for them on YouTube and find the workouts on there.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    +1 for the crock pot. That thing has changed my life.

You mentioned using a family cookbook. Would it be possible for you to cut down the amount of ingredients you use to make a smaller portion? Like, if it calls for a pound of chicken breast to feed 4, only use 1/4 pound of chicken breast. Another idea is to make enough for two (there are several couples cookbooks floating around) and put the rest away as leftovers. Then you don't have to buy as much or cook every night.

I'm a big proponent of Jillian Michaels, but in my opinion her workouts are NOT generally for beginners. She does have a couple of beginner-level DVDs out (Frontside/Backside) and I know she is coming out with a beginner version of the 30 Day Shred this fall. I would definitely not jump straight into P90X/Insanity/Ripped in 30 if you are brand new to exercise, though.
  • jvt2220
    jvt2220 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with the walking but if the weather is bad, your might try the Leslie
    Sansome walking dvds. They are easy for a beginner. You may be able to check out dvds from you public library.
  • evsplava
    evsplava Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would make meals and portion them up. I have lived in a bad neighborhood so I can understand what you are going through and how stressful it might be. There are some great videos out there on you tube you can work out to. You might also want to consider doing low impact exercise such as chair exercises or modifing exercises on a stability ball
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

My advice, though weird, is to stop cooking. Maybe you gained because you're making these family style meals and not measuring right. Just eat lots of veggies. It's Tuesday and the only thing I've cooked since last Tuesday were egg whites.

That was going to be my advice. I, myself, am horrible at portion control and it has been my downfall numerous times. If you don't have a food scale, that might be a good investment if you want to cook from scratch. If you do want to cook in bulk, which might be cheaper in the long run, finding a way to separate portions is a good a idea too. Of fight portion control. I personally live off frozen foods and vegetables.

As for exercise, someone mentioned before that Youtube has a few video choices. Quality might not be good, but it's a start. If there's a local pool near by see what the membership costs are, water aerobics I hear is wonderful and a gear calorie burn.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I've not read all the responses so mine may be a repeat.

Anyway, as to exercise? Check out YouTube.com.

There are innumerable videos available for free with workouts to do at home with no special equipment. Plus, many are aimed just at beginners and overweight people.

Good luck!
  • megsmom85
    megsmom85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pander:

I share your difficulties with expenses and cooking for one person. What I've found that works best for me is that I purchase meat with 3-4 pork chops/chicken thighs, etc. I cook them, then wrap each of them individually, then freeze them. That way, on the day I plan on eating them all I have to do is take one out of the freezer to thaw. I've found that by buying anything, if I portion it out ahead of time I am aware of what I'm allowed to eat for the day and it makes it easier to stay on track.

As for exercise videos, I've got physical restrictions with my back and leg so I am limited in what I"m able to do. I ordered a dvd that is aimed for wheelchair exercises, and have found that I'm still able to work up a sweat while doing them.

I wish you luck on your endeavor. Try not to get discouraged because it will take time... we didn't put it on all at once, so we need time to take it off. Be nice to yourself and don't compare your loss with others' weight loss. Everyone loses at their own rate and it will vary with each person. I have good days and bad ones. But, I'm determined to learn from them, and get back on track.

Some days are harder than others. But, I have finally realized that any effort I put into this endeavor, will benefit me in the end... and I'm worth it.

So, are you!

P.S. I will usually cook my food on a Sunday when I can watch sports, listen to music, etc, then I don't have to worry about anything but zapping it in the microwave when ready to eat. It's my version of multi-tasking.