Sugar-free living...

Options
Hello fellow fitness pals!

I have been using my fitness pal for about 3 weeks and love it thus far. I have read David Gillespies book 'Sweet Poison' and I am now considering taking on a sugar free lifestyle (the fructose component more specifically).

Is anyone else embarking on this journey, or considering it? I am a self confessed sugar addict and could do with some support!

Cheers,

Jamie

Replies

• jojojor
    jojojor Posts: 24
    Options
    Ive cut all extra sugar out.Are you also cutting down on natural sugars? Sounds like an interesting book I think Ill look in the library for it,Jo
  • imamazed12
    imamazed12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been considering limiting my sugar intake recently not only for fitness-sake but because I fear that it may be the cause of my severe acne. Or at least an contributor. Does "sugar-free living" mean actually completely cutting out all sugar? Or is it minimizing sugar and cutting out processed sugar?

I'm curious...
  • cindynpinetown
    Options
    I feel sugar is a big part of my problem. As my grandmother-in-law always said, "If you put sugar in it, I like it". I'm trying to decide if the sugar free foods and substitutes are a good alternative or not.
  • jopel
    jopel Posts: 4
    Options
    Well more specifically, cutting out added & refined sugars. Check out this link to Davids website... i'm interested on what you all think. There are short extracts from his 2 books that you can have a glance at. He basically says that whole foods that contain sugars are ok to eat, whereas refined sugars are stripped of all nutrients including the ones that are necessary for digestion of the sugars. When the nutrients are absent (as in refined sugars), the nutrients will be sourced from within your body, effectively stripping your body of nutrients in order to process the refined sugar. Hope this makes sense!! :-)

http://sweetpoison.com.au/
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I only buy unrefind natural surgar now and can really tast the difference on my breakfast
  • jojojor
    jojojor Posts: 24
    Options
    I thought this book sounded good after reading what you said-so i went out and bought it! Ill let you know what I think.It seems like a really good guide to choosing food wisely which can be pretty hard when your standing in the supermarket trying to read every box!! Ive been trying to cut down on sugar and its scary to see how much is in a bowl of cereal(with NO added sugar) that you thought was a healthy choice!!! We all definately need to be aware of this.
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    Hi fellow David aka Sweet Poison fan!!

I started doing the NO SUGAR from 3rd Jan and I can tell you I feel amazing. My weight is dropping BUT the main thing is that my cravings have vanished. I have hit the end of my 2nd week and it was a bit tough...I got the sads and this also was probably due to me being a bit PMTish, but I am not feeling PMTish (if you know what I mean!).

I am now at a point where I can see everyone eat 'that' food and not want it....and I was a huge sugarholic before (working around gourmet chocolate didn't help).

I wrote a post here called "Addicted to Sugar?" and got a good response with people quite interested. There are a few that feel the information is incorrect BUT I know how I feel and there are too many people on his side to ignore.

BTW Munchiemooka, I don't think there is such a think as unrefined natural sugar because all sugar is refined....unrefined is sugar cane. All sugar is man made and all sugar does damage.

Welcome aboard! :flowerforyou:
  • sugarfreesarah
    Options
    Jamie,
    I would certainly be interested in a support group of sorts. I have been trying to cut out sugar (sometimes even fruit) for about 2 weeks now. I have had some success, but I have given in to what I think is an addiction to sugar too many times. I think it would help me a lot to have people to talk to who I know are doing the same thing.
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    BTW Munchiemooka, I don't think there is such a think as unrefined natural sugar because all sugar is refined....unrefined is sugar cane. All sugar is man made and all sugar does damage

This seems to suggest you can get raw unrefined sugar, with it's nutrients & minerals intact, I think I'll see if the supermarket has it next time I'm shopping, it'll make me feel better about the sugar in my tea.
    :flowerforyou:
  • clingybabe
    clingybabe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have heard about research that was done regarding mice, sugar, and cocaine. The conclusion was that the mice were more addicted to sugar than cocaine.
    A few years ago I did a body cleanse and cut out sugar for 6 weeks. It was very hard those first two weeks, but then like someone else said, the cravings weren't there as much. I really noticed how the inflammation in my hips and joints were non existent at that time. I don't know why I started eating sugar again, since I felt so good without it, but I did. I have now cut out sugar alot, but still have some chocolate once in a while, and then it leads to a little sugar here and a little sugar there. But for the most part, I am avoiding sugar. It is so hard to totally cut it out, but for me, that would be the best thing to do. It seems easier to do the "all or nothing" approach sometimes. Otherwise, I find myself making exceptions and giving in. Several people that I know that did cut out sugar lost weight just by doing that alone. Sugar is powerful stuff.
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Right here!! Sugar free (simple, refined, and synthetic) for almost a year now. Feel free to add me :o]
  • rbcool
    rbcool Posts: 20
    Options
    sugar - free living is a hard one. I'm trying to very gradually cut back and substitute honey , whenever possible. I'm afraid of artificial sweetners. Honey is not very sweet ...but it is good. I like candy and baked goods, so I can sympathize girl !:sad:
  • rbcool
    rbcool Posts: 20
    Options
    sugar - free living is a hard one. I'm trying to very gradually cut back and substitute honey , whenever possible. I'm afraid of artificial sweetners. Honey is not very sweet ...but it is good. I like candy and baked goods, so I can sympathize girl !:sad:
  • mijrentrof
    Options
    Jamie,

I'm with you trying to kick the sugar habit. I've cut way back on sugar but will still have some when the urge happens. Try cutting back slowly. If I try to go cold turkey I will break down and binge on sugar. I've stopped eating sugar before and felt great. I know it's the right thing to do for me.

Jim
  • mijrentrof
    Options
    rbgood,

There are many good reasons to be very afraid of artificial sweeteners = exito- toxins. Stevia from plant leaves is 300 times sweeter than sugar.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My refined sugar intake has gone down a lot to help me meet my calorie goals. When I cut sugar out, I notice how sweet ordinary foods taste. After even only a week of no added sugar, carrots, milk, apples, bananas, plain sweet potatoes, etc... all taste much sweeter than they used to and I appreciate them in a way I do not when I eat sugary junk.
  • jopel
    Options
    Ah you are all so inspiring and encouraging!! Thank you! I have been sugar free for a few days now and going strong. I am waiting for the uncontrollable cravings to kick in, but none as yet!

I am going to purchase Davids second sweet poison book today to help me with further food choices.

Keep up the great work everyone!! :-)

Jamie
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars are fine. Refined sugars are not so good. Your body actualy needs sugar to run, if we dont have sugar in some form then we will die. If you mean cutting out refined sugars then thats no problem as they are bad anyway, but cutting out carbs as well which is a complex sugar is just asking for trouble.
  • jopel
    Options
    Not cutting out carbs... just refined sugars. Whole foods that contain sugars are fine :-)