Please don't use diet pills, personal experience story

Options
Losing weight needs to be a lifestyle change. A change you can live with for the rest of your life. 1 week ago I went to my doctor and at this point I had already lost 5 pounds, by counting calories and exercising. I explained my biggest struggle was dealing with the hunger. ( I am on a lot of psychiatric medications that make you crave and feel starved). My doctor suggested diet pills/appetite suppressants. She went through a list of 3 possibilities and decided I would probably do good on the one she said was the strongest and that is phentermine. She proceeded to put me on the highest dose. I took this medication for 6 days and everything went downhill. I slept on average 4 hours a night. I would eat approx. 600 calories a day because I had no appetite. And the worst, I started getting chest pains. Today the chest pain was so terrible I called my doctor to request to get off this pill. They didn't want me to make any changes until I got checked out by the ER. So there I went to the ER and the doctor there was for certain it was the pill. I knew it was too. I got all the tests and they all came out normal. The doctor at the ER was awesome and told me "stop taking this pill, all you need to do to lose weight is eat healthy and exercise. Simple. I agreed with him and he gave me a high five.

Losing weight the right way takes time. There is no magic pill. A pill is not going to do the work for you. What a reward it would be to lose all this weight strictly ON YOUR OWN, without diet pills.

I have seen so many people on here who have lost 100+ pounds who did it without any pills or diet fads. I congratulate them. What success.

I am not going to be surprised if I gain weight at first since stopping this pill since I will be eating more than 600 calories.

I plan to continue my exercise regimen.

All I know is I am so blessed I got off of this pill before it did anymore damage.

Question: In the ER they gave me saline, does this make you gain weight until it is processed through your body? How many days should I go before I weigh again to avoid a false reading from the saline?

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry you had to go through this, but i'm glad it wasn't worse. whenever my doctor give me a pill, i always try a quarter of it before i try the full dose, which has saved me a few times from bad situations.

saline is basically salty water. it will pass through you like any other water and a little extra salt, but they must have found you were dehydrated - did you stop drinking water during the diet pills?

btw, have you tried eating 6 smaller meals per day? if you eat slowly (which i never can, btw), it only leaves you 2 hours between meals, not much time to get hungry.
  • rachelr0875
    Options
    i'm sorry you had to go through this, but i'm glad it wasn't worse. whenever my doctor give me a pill, i always try a quarter of it before i try the full dose, which has saved me a few times from bad situations.

saline is basically salty water. it will pass through you like any other water and a little extra salt, but they must have found you were dehydrated - did you stop drinking water during the diet pills?

btw, have you tried eating 6 smaller meals per day? if you eat slowly (which i never can, btw), it only leaves you 2 hours between meals, not much time to get hungry.

Thanks for your response. I don't know why they gave me the saline. They just did. I should try that eating pattern. I am just so happy that I can be free, meaning I am in control of my weight loss, I'm not sharing the driver seat with a pill.
  • CadiMan32
    CadiMan32 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Whoa im glad your ok. I bought a bottle of Hydroxycut when i decided i wanted to lose weight, So far its going ok, Im using MFP, eating right and i try to go to the gym alteast 4 times a week. Ive lost about 5-6 lbs in a little over a week according to the scale. Sounds too good to be true but we'll see what happens. If i start having any il effects il definately stop taking them.
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're ok!

I took Phentermine (NOT Phen/Fen)10 years ago. It took me about 10 days to get used to it. I was able to go from 234 down to 160, and kept it there until just recently. It was tough coming off the meds, as it did control my appetite and I had energy out the wazoo. That said, I don't think I'd want to take it again, but I'm not trying to lose 75 pounds this time.
  • cece5300
    cece5300 Posts: 48
    Options
    I took that before. It worked like a charm but OMG the dry mouth! I would rather train myself to suffer through hunger than go through the side effects of that pill. I never slept either. It was awful. Thank goodness I'm more into healthy habits now. I'm glad you're ok, OP!