good choices

Options
I find it very difficult to make good choices when at a fast food joint. It has been my one habit In the last month I havent been able to break. We have went out like three times and I couldnt resist getting my regular menu item i am used to. Well tonight we went to jack in the box, and I had two regular beef tacos, which are 160 cals each, and a side salad with lite ranch, 50 cals for the salad, and 90 cals for half the pack of lite ranch. Also i picked the cheese off my salad and gave it to my toddler so my salad was less than 50 cals. So my whole meal was 460 cals and i had more than that saved for dinner so when we got home I even got to award myself with half a snack sized dark chocolate mounds candy. (40 cals). I had a hard time standing there in line I wanted a jumbo jack with cheese so badly but I forced myself to order a healthier choice and I felt just as full in the end and much less bloated. I know this is a long post so sorry I am just feeling proud of a small success I finally overcame a difficulty in my life. Baby steps right? Good luck to you all in making good choices in fast food restaraunts:smile::drinker: Cheers to a better life!!!

Replies

• krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I find it very difficult to make good choices when at a fast food joint. It has been my one habit In the last month I havent been able to break. We have went out like three times and I couldnt resist getting my regular menu item i am used to. Well tonight we went to jack in the box, and I had two regular beef tacos, which are 160 cals each, and a side salad with lite ranch, 50 cals for the salad, and 90 cals for half the pack of lite ranch. Also i picked the cheese off my salad and gave it to my toddler so my salad was less than 50 cals. So my whole meal was 460 cals and i had more than that saved for dinner so when we got home I even got to award myself with half a snack sized dark chocolate mounds candy. (40 cals). I had a hard time standing there in line I wanted a jumbo jack with cheese so badly but I forced myself to order a healthier choice and I felt just as full in the end and much less bloated. I know this is a long post so sorry I am just feeling proud of a small success I finally overcame a difficulty in my life. Baby steps right? Good luck to you all in making good choices in fast food restaraunts:smile::drinker: Cheers to a better life!!!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You're a much better person then I am!
    I don't have a Jack in the Box here, or I'd be dying for one of those jumbo jacks with cheese that you mentioned! I know that whenever I go to McDonalds, I just HAVE to get the double cheeseburger. Not only is it filling and good, it's only a buck!
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I live for wendys spicy chicken. I have to get that when I go there. At least now they have the snack wrap which is only half of the chicken so I can at least get what I want and then have a salad or something like that. I went to their website and they do have it pretty cool. You can go and pick what you ate or waht you want if you look in advance and build it to how ever you want it will tell you the exact nutritional info. Usually the websites just tell you with they way they make it and dont let you pick and choose the way you do it. So I thought taht was pretty neat.

Connie

86258.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    That's great that you overcame a habit at the fast food joint! Yes. It is all about baby steps. Sounds like you're toddling along:smile:

For me, the best way to resist the temptation is to not go in. My personal goal for this Fall is to avoid meals outside the home. I actually went to the Recipe Board of MFP and found a lot of easy, quick, nutritious meals! I have planned the whole week in advance and I can't wait to eat better (and save money) at home . . .

Good luck to you! Great job with this one big change!!!:flowerforyou:
  • lisabeavers
    Options
    That's a huge success for you!!!! There are a lot of times at my job where i either don't get to go to lunch or have to eat it in the office. If i don't think to bring something (just in case) then i end up eating out.... and our close by choices are hardees, dominos, taco bell.... you get the picture. its HARD HARD HARD to do the right thing, and i am so very proud of you for making a conscious, healthy choice for yourself! YYYAAAAYYYYY you!
  • amethystx
    Options
    2day4ever has the right solution for "fast food" temptation.............KEEP AWAY! fighting0034.gif
    You need to get cooking girl. winking0001.gif
    That's the only way to be in total control of what you eat. Plan, shop and cook it yourself. (you will also save money)
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I had to stop going to fast food places totally. I just couldn't do it. I would go to taco bell and it wasn't just a fresco taco i intended tp get. It always ended up being not just one but 2 taco supremes and a mexican pizza all with extra cheese. Yikes!!!! so i finally just stopped altogether and I found out I CAN live without taco bell. :flowerforyou:
  • celverdi
    celverdi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My big weakness is McDonald's. When I was pregnant I would always order a double cheeseburger combo with a large coke, and a spicy chicken sandwich on the side, extra mayo on everything! It was a hard habit to break, especially since it is the cheapest and closest place in town, and my family is always on the go. First i weaned myself off of the extra mayo, then I was able to cut out the spicy chicken sandwich. Then I was able to cut down to a regular cheeseburger combo. Now I get a 2 cheeseburger combo. I give 1 cheeseburger and 1/3 of my fries to my daughter, 1/3 of my fries to my son, and keep 1 cheeseburger and 1/3 of the fries for myself. I even started ordering a water instead of soda. (Although I sometimes get a diet coke instead.) I've gone from over 1600 cals in one meal to right about 430 cals! I try to apply the "eat smaller portions" method to all the foods I eat, so that I can still have all the foods I love. This way I don't feel like I am on a diet, I am on a food portioning program. lol:wink:

17569.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • amethystx
    Options
    The internet is loaded with great, good, healthy recipe sites. Just GOOGLE in recipes ---followed by whatever you want . You can spent hours collecting them.