Could really use some support

Options
Hey i'm not completely new to Myfitnesspal but i have trouble keeping it going. Sometimes the app doesn't work on my phone (its my only source on internet atm) and when that happens i get out of the habit of logging food. I have limited support for my goals so having a pal to help each other with motivation would be so useful to me! I have lost 1 stone so far from just changing my portion sizes now it gets to the truly hard stuff like exercise and healthy eating i need a big push!

Thank you

Replies

• kimberlystefan
    Options
    Hi! I'm Kim, and I am the same... I start out doing great at updating my food and then it trails off. But I know it's so helpful when I do it. What are your goals?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    When it works, prelog your food. Where there's a will, there's a way.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    What if you started meal prepping food for the entire week and logging it in your food diary when you are able to? You can also put a white board on your fridge and log everything on there!

On Sundays, I typically cook a ton of food, and plan my entire week around what I cooked. It makes everything a lot easier
  • aeriepie89
    aeriepie89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lots of good tips here thanks guys! I usually cook for myself and my boyfriend who eats like a horse and is the size of a peanut! I find if i plan meals ahead they end up changing with what he wants or if his family come over. We also have no fridge at the moment so storing food is an absolute nightmare! We will be moving in two months time so had planned to wait until then to replace the fridge. It just means that we are buying food two days at a time otherwise it goes off. Comfort eating and eating when bored is my worst problem. My goals ultimately is to lose 4 stone (one down already) so three to go.
  • aussieems
    aussieems Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We could be twins! I am the exact same with comfort eating and eating when bored. I've switched to drinking water instead of snacking. When I have lost weight in the past, it has been the planning and pre-prep that has helped. My husband sounds the same as your bf. He can eat anything he wants and still stays skinny... then moans about being "fat" ARGH! Men hey? Good luck with it all. :)
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Try to ditch the bad for you snacks and stock up on some fruits and veggies for when you graze! And tell your boyfriend to give you a little more support! My bf was hesitant at first to the change in our eating, but has since lightened up because the food is actually really good once given a chance. There is no way I would be as successful as I have been if he refused to eat what I did and encourage me to stop grazing/caving to cravings. :) And the final way to lose the guilt in eating--go for a walk in the morning or evening! :) burns calories and gives you a great cardio workout!
  • 123petitme
    Options
    If you're on here, then that's a great step! Believe you can and you're halfway there, my friend! I'll pray for you :)
  • kewwyyy
    kewwyyy Posts: 2
    Options
    The app rarely works for me either so I update my food dairy online on my lunch break.

Reducing food portions are good. Exercise-wise I recommend walking for half an hour or more every day (with or without a dog/friends), buying a Zumba/Rosemary Conley/other exercise DVD to do at home or buy an exercise bike/cross trainer to use at home to save on gym fees.

Food-wise try not to think you're on a diet, instead just eating more healthily. Salads, soups, fruit, veg, nuts, Quorn if liked, yoghurts etc are ideal but you can still have your treats; I like to allow 200 calories a day for snacks so that could be grapes, an apple, banana with yoghurt, or even a bag of crisps, cereal bar or chocolate bar as long as it's within my 200. I find it helpful to look up menus online before going out to a pub/restaurant as a lot of them show the calorie information now.
  • superman_149
    Options
    I'm in a very similar situation. I tend to use mostly the app, and i struggle getting it working some days. I also find that I'm great at tracking days where I eat clean, but on the other days, I tend to "forget" to track..
  • gmdaniel
    gmdaniel Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new but I love the app. I think I like looking at it as playing a game with the app. Seeing if I can do better than what I see before me. Especially when it comes to burning calories through exercise. And by me logging my food intake it makes me accountable.

Sorry to hear that your only source of logging is your phone, I am sure it can be a hassle. But don't be defeated by the phone remember your health depends on it (smile).

Stay upbeat and don't give up and never lose hope. Take it one day at a time.
  • mchristo918
    Options
    I use what I call my "Treat Bank." I dislike the word "cheat" and don't even use it. Anyway, I save 150-200 calories a day for a treat of some sort, all the while continuing to make better choices and increase my fitness. And before long, I didn't even want that treat daily, now only having a treat weekly because I just don't have that craving anymore. Those unused calories add up! You can do it! I'm on here daily, so add me if you'd like. Have a gorgeous day!
  • Odinanthor
    Odinanthor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all, i'm new to myfitness, my name is Linda, i am coeliac, and really need to lose at least 24lb, and i know that i cannot do it on my own, would any one be willing to help me out please...thank you in advance..
  • aeriepie89
    aeriepie89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged in ages but i am keeping track on paper for each day. I have been trying to re-download the app for 4 days now (had to uninstall it due to phone crash) and it keeps saying "Package file invalid" no idea what that means! I don't get to use a computer very much, maybe once a week but this should change once we have moved and get an internet connection. Just a difficult transition time at the moment.

I have asked my boyfriend to be more supportive and he is to the point when he makes me feel bad if i eat something i shouldn't, which to be honest makes me feel bad and makes me want to eat it more. We do end up arguing about my diet some times because he finds it so easy and i find it so hard. He can go with or with out food.

I have a gym membership, which I'm not using but for the price I'm paying i should be! Motivation is a big issue for me some days i wake up and GOGOGO others i find it very difficult.

So much support here i really wasn't expecting so much, thank you everyone! I definitely feel more motivated with all your advice and have done very well so far today with my food. I've sorted out music on my iPod for walking to and will walk the dog tonight for an extra long walk (sitting at my mums right now waiting for a delivery for her while she's out)
  • letin2
    letin2 Posts: 2
    Options
    Yeah I have the same problem with logging. I forget especially during the weekends. But even if I forget, I will log in the next day. Dont give up!