Eating the calories you burn

Options
Not too sure why but when you burn 300 calories and eat them back im not too sure that makes sense?

Unless you are trying to gain weight i suppose. Im not trying to lose weight (maybe 3 lbs but im not that crazy) ... My calorie goal is close to 1400 because im super active (personal trainer) but im still not buying the whole eating what you burn.

Anyone feel the same? or are you just happy you can eat more? lol

xo Bec

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you're not trying to lose weight, you're super active and your calorie goal is 1400.... :huh:
  • RWilliams_Fit
    RWilliams_Fit Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    thats what mfp says...

i am however trying to cut fat and gain muscle and am always over on my protein lol
  • princessinnocentknickers
    Options
    the idea is that you're already eating at a calorie deficit. if you were eating at your needs for the day then you wouldn't eat backt he exercise cals because they would be the cals you were "cutting" for the day.

I was eating at 1600 a day, for a 500 cal deficit but then i was also walking 12-15k a day which supposedly burned aroiund 600+ cals. I definitely noticed I was losing way more than a 500 cal deficit should cause me to lose but it did mean I was only really operating on about 1000 cals a day for a few weeks which im pretty damn sure isn't good for me.
    so not eating back exercise cals did cause me to lose quite a bit more weight but long term.. that **** just ain't right for your body.
  • Paulglee72
    Options
    My biggest regret for years was eating the calories i burned after my 10k daily walks. All i managed to do was to stay at the same weight for years which meant i stayed 5st overweight. Now i"m running and i dont touch my calories burned and ive lost 12lbs and feel great . I"m never going back to the days of eating those precious calories that i busted my balls to lose. Never.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    i am however trying to cut fat and gain muscle and am always over on my protein lol

it gets better... :laugh:
  • RWilliams_Fit
    RWilliams_Fit Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    yes i see what you mean... i guess maybe this site just wants the quickest results for people. i honestly just use it because it is so easy to keep track of my intake daily.

and @tavistocktoad not sure what you mean but losing weight and cutting fat are two very different things... i probably will gain a few pounds of muscle ...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    yes i see what you mean... i guess maybe this site just wants the quickest results for people. i honestly just use it because it is so easy to keep track of my intake daily.

and @tavistocktoad not sure what you mean but losing weight and cutting fat are two very different things... i probably will gain a few pounds of muscle ...

You aren't going to gain muscle eating at a deficit or maintenance. You need to eat at a surplus to gain muscle, in which you would also gain fat.

Unless you are confusing muscle definition with muscle mass, which wouldn't be surprising based on what I've read so far.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options

I think you have it backwards… eating back exercise calories… which is what this site encourages, will slow down the rate of weight loss. Since it cuts down on your calorie deficit. Not to be rude… just thought it might have been a typo. Personally, I don't eat back my exercise calories either. I don't exercise so I can eat more. But if I'm particularly hungry or feeling weak, then I will eat more and I don't worry about it because I'm still at a deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

whats your exercise routine to gain muscle on 1400 cals?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Not too sure why but when you burn 300 calories and eat them back im not too sure that makes sense?

Unless you are trying to gain weight i suppose. Im not trying to lose weight (maybe 3 lbs but im not that crazy) ... My calorie goal is close to 1400 because im super active (personal trainer) but im still not buying the whole eating what you burn.

Anyone feel the same? or are you just happy you can eat more? lol

xo Bec

Wouldn't be coming to you for any training advice then :noway:
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    you're not trying to lose weight, you're super active and your calorie goal is 1400.... :huh:

I have to agree, you're being ridiculous. Most days I eat 2200-3000 cals and NOT gain anything, because I do strength training (plus I have a physical job) everyday there is no real need to restrict myself to below 2000 cals.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It makes perfect sense, why wouldn't you account for calorie expenditure?
    Unless you are trying to gain weight i suppose. Im not trying to lose weight (maybe 3 lbs but im not that crazy) ...
    It makes perfect sense if you are losing, gaining or maintaining.
    My calorie goal is close to 1400 because im super active (personal trainer)
    You must be tiny then! Really, really, really tiny. I'm twice your age and think my average intake of 2500 to maintain is low.

(My bet is that you are eating more than you think but as your diary is private that's just a guess.)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I think you have it backwards… eating back exercise calories… which is what this site encourages, will slow down the rate of weight loss. Since it cuts down on your calorie deficit. Not to be rude… just thought it might have been a typo. Personally, I don't eat back my exercise calories either. I don't exercise so I can eat more. But if I'm particularly hungry or feeling weak, then I will eat more and I don't worry about it because I'm still at a deficit.

MFP encourages eating back exercise calories because it follows NEAT method...where you are given a deficit in your food intake to lose the amount of weight you desire. The exercise calories are "extra" deficit and it is important to eat some of them back to fuel your next workout....otherwise you will be a hurting unit evenutally.

To the OP you are a personal trainer and you believe a woman can gain a couple pounds of muscle eating gross calories of 1400...really???

I eat 2137 to maintain my weight and with any luck a small recomp will happen...but I am not holding my breath on that one.

To build muscle you need to be lifting heavy weights and eating at a surplus...and if 1400 is a surplus for you...are you 3 feet tall????
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Bump!

:laugh:
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Is there any sort of prerequisite regarding education to become a personal trainer, or can anyone who looks good in a pair of spandex get a job at a gym nowadays?

Not saying anything towards anyone in particular, just curious about the general requirements to label oneself a "personal trainer."
  • ingehooper
    ingehooper Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I dont think I would like going to a personal trainer who thinks you should eat 1400calories being very active and not wanting to lose weight.
    The way MFP works is it gives you an amount of calories to eat to lose a certain amount so you already have a deficit built in. So it only makes sense that any extra burn needs to be replaced or your deficit gets bigger.
  • the_summer_belle
    the_summer_belle Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I think the people on here have been really rude OP was just starting a discussion point she wasnt making herself out to be an expert I know alot of personal trainers and I have done PT course myself and there is very little in the course about nutrition it all focuses on the bones muscles and proper form legal issues etc to learn about proper nutrition a pt needs to take a nutrition course which is not a requirement to become a pt that is why most people will see a pt for exercise and a nutritionist for food information most pts are not required nor do they make nutritional plans for their clients nor should they unless they are qualified in that area. OP may not know much about calories and nutrition but that dosent mean she isn't a good personal trainer, i think you guys need to be a little more respectful to others, you get what you give at the end of the day I sure hope you dont post a question one day and have everyone shoot you down.
  • Paulglee72
    Options
    Agree 100% . It was certainly a conversation worth having and after reading all the comments i"m thinking twice about my position on eating calories burned. Knowledge is power as they say and the more discussions we have on weight and exercise issues the more we learn. So the least we can do is be respectful to one another .
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I think the people on here have been really rude OP was just starting a discussion point she wasnt making herself out to be an expert I know alot of personal trainers and I have done PT course myself and there is very little in the course about nutrition it all focuses on the bones muscles and proper form legal issues etc to learn about proper nutrition a pt needs to take a nutrition course which is not a requirement to become a pt that is why most people will see a pt for exercise and a nutritionist for food information most pts are not required nor do they make nutritional plans for their clients nor should they unless they are qualified in that area. OP may not know much about calories and nutrition but that dosent mean she isn't a good personal trainer, i think you guys need to be a little more respectful to others, you get what you give at the end of the day I sure hope you dont post a question one day and have everyone shoot you down.

to be honest if i was eating 1400 cals, really active, and expecting to build muscle, i would want someone to tell me why it wasnt working...