South Beach Diet - Carb/Fat/Protein Ratio

Options
For those that did south beach, what were your ratios in phase 1? Phase 2?

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    10 years ago I started eating this way. For phase one I just followed the menus in the book. Back then I had no idea about macros, ration, and all other stuff...I know people here don't like to hear the word "diet" but I have learned a lot from this book. :)

I stayed in phase 2 ever since. I still eat the same way.
  • carinthea
    carinthea Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I managed to stay on South Beach (in Phase 2) for 6 months, and during that time I lost 6 stone. I am going to restart it again on Monday (best day for me to start a new eating plan, gives me the weekend to prepare and get the food ready for the week), but I have to admit I find the first two weeks hell on my mood and mental state. I am hoping that because I know this is going to help get my Gallbladder disease under control (until they take the blinking thing out in about October), and help me to lose weight so that I am lighter when that actually happens, I am going to push through...but I don't think that this was ever meant to be easy!

Has anyone else done this for health reasons other than losing weight?
  • takethatTM
    takethatTM Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I managed to stay on South Beach (in Phase 2) for 6 months, and during that time I lost 6 stone. I am going to restart it again on Monday (best day for me to start a new eating plan, gives me the weekend to prepare and get the food ready for the week), but I have to admit I find the first two weeks hell on my mood and mental state. I am hoping that because I know this is going to help get my Gallbladder disease under control (until they take the blinking thing out in about October), and help me to lose weight so that I am lighter when that actually happens, I am going to push through...but I don't think that this was ever meant to be easy!

Has anyone else done this for health reasons other than losing weight?
    I'm back on South Beach (starting today!) to help control inflammation as I have a rare neurological disorder called transverse myelitis. I have trouble walking, and South Beach Phase I will help me quickly get some of the water weight off and make exercise easier. It's all about being healthy, not about what it says on the scale. I'm tracking everything I eat to keep me honest and to help myself learn from mistakes... but I'm not counting calories, carbs or anything like that. Sticking to the plan as much as possible. Feel free to add me, and I can help where I can. I used to be on lowcarber.org, but it looks like the SBD forum is pretty much a ghost town these days.
  • carinthea
    Options
    I have to admit that I was relieved to find there was a forum here though it is rather quiet. I am glad I am not alone. Before I did the diet last time I was pre-diabetic...this totally got rid of that and even my doctor was surprised and happy.

Hopefully it will help again this time.
  • Blackhawk2425
    Options
    I am on Phase 1 Day 2. So far so good. My ratio is 42% protein, 42% fat and 16% carbs. I am not trying to hit any macros but these are the numbers I was at for the last two days.

How are you guys doing so far?
  • carinthea
    Options
    I am on day 4 week 2 of phase 1 (for the second time). I am finding it hard to measure everything using the trackers at MFP because they constantly tell me I am HUGELY over on protein thanks to the yogurt, meat and low fat cheese (yum Feta) that I am consuming instead of carbs. That said I am maintaining (sort of) a good calorie balance but I am getting fed up with having to consume more meat as salad really doesn't consume too many calories and I don't eat cooked vegetables at all...I know it will be worth it in the end though - last time I used this plan I lost 6 stone (or 84lbs) in 6 months. At the moment I 'just' need to lose 29lbs to get down to a weight where I am no longer on the morbidly obese chart at the hospital and then I can continue on my journey after my op :)

Keep going, if you haven't done phase 1 before, it is worth it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    10 years ago I started eating this way. For phase one I just followed the menus in the book. Back then I had no idea about macros, ration, and all other stuff...I know people here don't like to hear the word "diet" but I have learned a lot from this book. :)

I stayed in phase 2 ever since. I still eat the same way.
    It's a good book for folks needing to learn. I learned a ton about SLOW carb from the first edition of the book.

As to the original question: I just inputted my day so far (I don't log, generally) and I'm up at about 40C/30p/30F. I will probably end up just a bit above that based on dinner plans.

The thing with south beach: you don't have to fret over macros. If you eat from the foods to enjoy list, your macros, and importantly your micros will be ok. Heck, you don't even have to count calories, per se.
  • sweetiepie_again
    Options
    Went to a church women's activity today and I was telling someone I was doing low carb but that someone told me I was doing it wrong because my fats were supposed to be much higher and protein lower. When I told her my numbers, she said that 'isn't wrong - its Southbeach. How wonderful to be validated. I've dropped 10 pounds in about 5-6 weeks and I'm losing inches. It is all good. My macros are at 15% carbs, 45% protein and 40% fat.