I need more calcium

Options
Hey MFP Peeps,
I have the feeling that I am low on my calcium. I do not eat dairy any more due to stomach issues. My Mom (64) just broke her leg due to osteoprosis which makes me a little nervous (she does eat dairy).
I was wondering if anyone has any ways to get a lot of calcium fast. I have just started to track my calcium intake and I get about 50% of what I need. I am also trying to up my protien because that is low usually.

Replies

• fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I'm currently studying nutrition in school that and I got inspired to do an experiment on myself just last week where I drank just one glass of milk with lunch each day. I felt terrible!! I won't continue that, but I do love greek yogurt and that doesn't bother me so I eat that whenever I can. I also take a calcium supplement.

Greek yogurt will also give you a good dose of protein! I suggest you try it out; you may find that it doesn't bother your stomach because it has been slightly processed.
  • mizliz1981
    Options
    Thanks that is a good idea. Yesterday I ate cheese to make my calcium need and I felt crappy and it gives me cravings for sweets. I will try the greek yogurt. I have had it before and it is delish. I was also thinking about keifer. Someone told me to try nettle and or rasperberry leaf tea as a calcium suplement plus dark greens. I may also go the calcium supplement route also. Someone I know stop dairy plus was doing low cal eating and to me it seemed like she got kind of hunched over from it. Which I don't want.
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    Options
    some other foods that contain calcium - spinach, almonds, black beans, peas... I'm sure there are others - maybe google non-dairy sources of calcium and see what comes up :)
  • amyo1300
    Options
    Hi,

You can find a lot of orange juices with added calcium. Also, broccoli and spinach have a higher calcium content than most veggies. You could also eat a couple of TUMS each day if you just want a calcium supplement.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Wow....sorry about your Mom's leg. I have osteopenia which is the step before osteoprosis. I went into "the change" really early in my life and didn't realize I should be taking calcium supplements. I do take them now. My doctor said any type of weight bearing exercise helps to strenghthen your bones -- something simple as walking. Good luck.
  • mizliz1981
    Options
    good idea about the orange juice:)
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    GREENS! I also use soy or almond milk in smoothies, fortified OJ, tofu, supplements, chickpeas, broccoli, tahini... like in hummous.

And I just learned that about 4 figs contain about 500 mgs of calcium.