HELP - lost only 1 pound in 2 weeks

Options
Hi everyone.

been eating healthy for the past 2 weeks. veggies, fruits, meat, avocado! no bread pasta rice soft drinks or sugar in any way and also no processed food. been weight training hard 3 times a week with a trainer and I do 2 days 30 min HIIT. Take off on the weekend!

Is it possible that I am losing fat and gaining muscle and I will certainly not see that on the scale? because I can see a bit of change in my face but I thought people lose a lot of weight in the first 2 weeks....I wont give up....just wondering! Thank you xx

btw i'm 5'2 - 175 lbs and I want to get down to 140 lbs...

Replies

• KatieKansan
    KatieKansan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I bet you are losing inches! Definitely gaining muscle! Keep up the good work. Sounds like you are doing everything right. The weight is sure to fall right off!! Keep up the good work!!
  • ranita888
    Options
    thanks!! :) hopefully it'll start falling off soon !!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I bet you are losing inches! Definitely gaining muscle! Keep up the good work. Sounds like you are doing everything right. The weight is sure to fall right off!! Keep up the good work!!
    don't listen to this, OP.

You're not gaining muscle.

If you've lost weight, I'm not sure what the problem is that you need help with.
    You're losing weight.
    You're apparently doing it right.
  • ranita888
    Options

If you've lost weight, I'm not sure what the problem is that you need help with.
    You're losing weight.

BUT i only lost 1 pound....and what you mean I'm not gaining muscle? I'm weight training....I must be gaining muscle somewhere?!
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations. You lost half a pound per week. That's great! If you don't have a lot to lose, that's actually the recommended rate of loss. Yeah, we all want to make those pounds disappear like magic, but it's not always the best way.

Second, "eating healthy" and exercising are both good things to do for yourself, so congratulations on taking those steps. However, unless you're tracking the calories in that healthy food to make sure you're eating at a deficit, preferably weighing your portions, you're probably eating more than you think. (Take from someone who ate her way to needing this site while eating mostly healthy, homemade food--just way too much of it!)

Maybe you're already weighing and measuring everything like an MFP pro, but if you only recently started the HIIT program, you may be retaining water. That's very common when you start exercising more intensely and one morning you'll step on the scale and get a pleasant surprise.
  • trogalicious
    Options

You're losing weight.

BUT i only lost 1 pound....and what you mean I'm not gaining muscle? I'm weight training....I must be gaining muscle somewhere?!

you're not gaining muscle.

That isn't how it works. You don't just "gain muscle" because you weight train.
  • KatieKansan
    KatieKansan Posts: 61 Member
    Options

You're losing weight.

Yes listen to this.. I went through the exact same situation and was very frustrated. I was losing inches not weight at first. Believe me the weight will fall off!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

You're losing weight.

^this

If muscle gaining requires a calorie surplus, proper amount of protein and a hypertrophy lifting routine and gains are still slow even in the best circumstances because, as women, we lack the testosterone to gain as much as men.

You most certainly are NOT gaining it in a deficit.

As stated you're losing weight. Faster weight loss is not good weight loss. Losing weight slowly is ideal to retaining muscle and looking leaner. Just keep on swimming!
  • bkulis
    bkulis Posts: 2
    Options
    Dont pay so much attention to the scale and trust the process :) If you are doing everything you know is right then it will come off with time and you are exactly right you might be putting on muscle.

Patience and consistency is key!

Feel free to add me!
  • ranita888
    Options
    Kindly explain how you gain muscle then?
  • trogalicious
    Options

Bombshell covered it right up there. Take a look. You can choose who to listen to, that's your choice.... but there's some bad information here.

All we can do is give you the correct information. It's up to you to choose. Either you're:

1. Magically losing weight at a deficit... and also gaining muscle.
    2. Just losing weight, just not as fast as you want, and now you're using the "I must be gaining muscle" line to comfort you for some reason.

Look, be happy you're losing weight. If the scale is moving down, congrats.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

Muscle building requires excess energy (calorie surplus). When you're eating at a deficit, you're not going to build muscle (very tiny gains for newb gains might occur for a small window it will not be significant enough to slow the scale but that's with proper protein, typically 1g per pound of lean body mass and a hypertrophy lifting routine).

I'm bulking right now. I've been lifting for over a year
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

You eat a calorie surplus (meaning maintenance plus 250-500 calories), and you lift heavy weights.

If you are eating in a calorie deficit, you are not gaining muscle. (You could experience some newbie gains, but you aren't going to gain that much muscle.) Even if you are doing HIIT and lifting heavy, while in a deficit you will not gain muscle mass. You may be retaining water though, which will slow the loss on the scale. Your body retains water to repair muscles.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    One thing that didn't make sense to me at first about "you can't build muscle while you're eating at a deficit" is that this doesn't mean you're not getting stronger. You are. You're probably already noticing it. But you're not actually adding muscle mass, just retaining and strengthening what's already there (which means you'll look more defined as the weight comes off. Yay!) So you're doing good things for yourself, but not in the way you might think.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

You're losing weight.

Well, I've already covered the not gaining muscle bit and anonycatgirl just covered gaining strength without adding mass and retaining current muscle so....

.5 lb week average is great. Especially with only 33 lbs to lose. With less to lose, taking weight loss slower helps ensure you don't jeopardize muscle along with fat in weight loss. I'm assuming your goal is fat loss and not purely tied to a goal weight, right? So, until you've reached a several week standstill in weight loss accept one fact: weight loss isn't linear and losing inches is an indication of progress more so than scale weight loss.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If your workouts are also a new development, you may be retaining water weight.
    I take solace from this:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan
  • lilMimi24
    lilMimi24 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ok, this interests me, like OP have experienced no loss in past 2-3 weeks BUT my clothes feel looser, my legs are beginning to have a gap between them and my shape has changed noticeably. If i am not gaining something heavier like muscle how can i be smaller without loosing weight? This seems to be a bit of a mystery.....
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Ok, this interests me, like OP have experienced no loss in past 2-3 weeks BUT my clothes feel looser, my legs are beginning to have a gap between them and my shape has changed noticeably. If i am not gaining something heavier like muscle how can i be smaller without loosing weight? This seems to be a bit of a mystery.....

Probably water retention, and it could be from a number of things. Your period, you ate a salty meal yesterday, you started a new exercise routine, you're stressed, etc.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

Water retention is a sneaky debil. There are so many factors to scale weight. Time of day, sodium, lack of bowel movements, time of the month. I gained 2 lbs the other day because I just started a new cycle in lifting. I'm still up an additional 1 lb over around what my actual weight is and my clothes all fit the same as they did last week.