Speed or incline?

Options
I am one of the few people that don't mind the treadmill but I wonder which is more important ...a higher incline at a slower pace 3.5 incline @ 3.5 pace) or a lower incline at a higher pace?

Replies

• TheNewDanielle
    Options
    Very good question. My weight loss setting on the treadmill puts the incline up, and I control the speed. I'm impressed with myself going 3.0 speed :) I actually jogged a bit today, but it's only my 3rd day on a treadmill too. So according to the machine, I guess incline is important. But I'd be interested in a more qualified answer lol
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Both are great and will get your heart rate up!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I usually go for speed, esp in the form of intervals....helps change the metabolism back to it's working speed, for me :wink:
  • Redkoala
    Redkoala Posts: 146
    Options
    I hate running, so i try and balance the treadmill by doing a brisk walking pace around 4-5MPH while on a high incline. I would say you feel more of a work out with a slower speed but a higher incline.
  • calypott
    Options
    I usually set the incline to 8.5-9.5 and alternate 3-4 mph, staying mostly at about 3.5 for about 30-40 minutes.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Both- Either way you mix it up. Combine both in your workouts you don't have to stay at one speed or incline the whole time. By increasing your incline you do strengthen your legs which can make you stronger and faster. But, by practicing you 'kick' at a faster pace and low incline also helps w/speed.
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Which is harder for you? Apart from getting your heart rate up (which both incline and speed can do), you should challenge yourself. Push yourself to go faster or at a greater incline, depending on what you think would be harder to overcome.

Personally, I like walking at 3-3.5 mph at a 10-12 % incline and doing interval sprints at about 6-7 mph at 6-8% incline.

When you increase the speed, decrease the incline. When you increase the incline, decrease the speed. Then work your way up.
  • loria30
    loria30 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yesterday my trainer had me going in intervals, jogging at a higher incline, dropping it to a "catch your breath speed" on 0 incline, bumped the incline up, but dropped the speed a bit, dropped to the zero incline again. I personally thought I was going to die for a bit there. :-) Oh and the last 10 minutes were on about a 4-5 incline backwards (about 2mph). try those. :-)
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    BUT if you increase incline, DO NOT hold on to the sides or front of the treadmill! That removes so much of the benefit of an incline! So many people do that at the gym and it drives me nuts. There's no need for a higher incline if you're not going to work for it!
  • tshahady
    tshahady Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Interval training on the treadmill is definitely the way to go!! I run at a 2.0 incline at 6.0 mph, bring my heart rate down, jack up the incline to 9.0 with a 3.8 mph speed - arms pumping flexing buttocks w/ stride, bring heart rate back down, etc. I do this work out w/ various intervals for 45 min. and usually burn around 500 calories. Keep it up!!:smile:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    In many ways it doesn't make any difference. The important thing is the INTENSITY. And you can achieve similar intensity levels with different combinations of speed and incline, so do whatever is comfortable.

If you have a desire to run, then, obviously, an increase in speed is the answer.

If you don't care to run, then walking uphill is better.

What I would recommend against is the "halfway" type settings--e.g. a fast walking speed and moderate incline. I only say that because the biomechanical demands of the gait at those combinations (something like 4.0 mph and 5% hill) can lead to premature fatigue of the leg muscles without getting your heart rate up that high

If you are starting a program and doing other exercises, or running, then I find uphill walking can be a nice "alternate" day--a way to still burn some significant calories but not beat your legs up as much as, say, running.
  • Madiann
    Madiann Posts: 177
    Options
    Bump
  • LJ0125
    LJ0125 Posts: 89
    Options
    I guess it makes no difference. I feel like a rookie compared to you guys. You guys do some awesome inclines and I do a measly 3.8.