Why does MFP not give credit for strength training?

ciscosdad
ciscosdad Posts: 70 Member
Am I missing something? I want to do more strength training and was wondering why MFP gives credit for cardio but not strength training?

Replies

• maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    You would have to go into the cardio section and log it under "Weight Training." It just includes weightlifting in general so you wouldn't be able to log an individual workout or muscle that you worked.
  • oldskool1972
    oldskool1972 Posts: 3 Member
    I've been puzzled by this too - you can log weight exercises but as you say, it doesn't give a calorific valu against them (and I'm sure mfp used to do this!).

Would be interested to know if it is possible...
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Am I missing something? I want to do more strength training and was wondering why MFP gives credit for cardio but not strength training?

Only if it gave credit towards effort too .... Wear a HRM if you want to see calories burned and there is a option in the cardio section.
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member

Because cardio has a more direct effect on your Calories In/Calories Out. Weight training will build muscle, which over time will increase your TDEE, but you wont see a visible effect in one day as your would with cardio.

You get credit for it by your weight, and by logging your general activity when you set your goals.
  • ciscosdad
    So should I put on my heart monitor and log it or just leave it off and kind of just keep it in the back of my mind as an additional calorie deficit?
  • oldskool1972
    oldskool1972 Posts: 3 Member

Just found this on the FAQ's:
    http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11170-why-don-t-you-calculate-calories-burned-for-strength-training-
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    So should I put on my heart monitor and log it or just leave it off and kind of just keep it in the back of my mind as an additional calorie deficit?

If it can be synched with MFP then wear it and transfer it here but if it doesn't then you could still wear it and manually add the calories burned. I'm pretty sure there's an option to do that...
  • ciscosdad
    Thanks everyone Very helpful.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    HRM is inaccurate for strength training. I think by rule of thumb it's around 100cals burned in a half hour of strength training. If I went by my HRM, I would burn close to 300cals strength training for a half hour, definitely too high.
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    HRM is inaccurate for strength training. I think by rule of thumb it's around 100cals burned in a half hour of strength training.

I did not know that, thank you. :-)

I just took MFP goals and decided to eat a few hundred calories more on workout days. It's nice to at least have a ballpark.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

Only if it gave credit towards effort too .... Wear a HRM if you want to see calories burned and there is a option in the cardio section.

HRMs vastly vastly overestimate burns for this type of exercise.

As in "divide by 10" vastly...