Bench Press Question

Options
I am reaching a point in my lifting progression where there is a reasonable chance that, during my last set on bench press, that I will lower the bar and not be able to clear it again. I have not been able to get a lifting partner, so that’s out. When I go to the gym typically, there are not many people present and most are pretty wrapped up in their own workouts, plus I have pretty strong social anxiety (hooray, Asperger’s), so asking a stranger for a spot is not really an option. Given that, is using the Smith machine for bench a reasonable alternative to bowing out of a set a rep or two early when I get to a point where the next rep is not assured? I understand that I will be sacrificing some work on stabilizer muscles, but I use free weights for all other lifts, so the effect should hopefully be fairly minimal. Is there another, better option that I have not considered?

Replies

• murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-bench-press-safely-when-youre-alone/

I'm not an expert but I used his advice and feel comfortable with it. Others may have other suggestions.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-bench-press-safely-when-youre-alone/

I'm not an expert but I used his advice and feel comfortable with it. Others may have other suggestions.

The roll of shame.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i used the smith machine yesterday because dudebros were all over the benches.

the main difference i felt was that i engaged less of my shoulder muscles which isnt necessarily a bad thing for me since i have shoulder issues and im working on rehabbing a rotator cuff. it's definitely not something i'd want to use all the time as bench since you really need to work those stabilizer muscles, but i dont see a problem with using it occassionally if there are no other choices.

is asking to put a note up in your gym looking for a gym partner an option? you never know there may be someone else in the same position
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Many people find that the smith machine limits natural movement of the downward path due to the fixed plane of the bar. I bench by myself, and I have failed multiple times. I just do the "roll of shame":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qohvvfv0OwA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_OdXKfSp-Y
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You do know how you get stronger right. It is in those last reps that are difficult where the fibers are working the hardest. I would just ask someone to spot you. Even I still ask random people and one time I had a sideline injury from asking for a spot. Does that still stop me from asking for help. NO one cares how little the weight is. I rather you ask and get it without my help then get stuck and watch you do the roll of shame.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I had this happen to me yesterday, I was able to hit rep 1 and 2 on a 115bench but I could feel my body waver on the 2nd rep, so I opted to not do the 3rd for the sake of not being able to push it back up, so I abandoned it and went to a flat bench and used dumbbells. For those, if you aren't able to lift, then you can drop those to the side without hurting yourself, OR if the power rack is open when you're there, you can wheel a bench over and set the safety bars at about chest level and set the bar and bench in the power rack and the side rail/bars will be able to catch your failed rep.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I have a power rack at home that I use to bench alone - if your gym has one of those you can bench right in the rack.

I learned from this Omar Isuf video on it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru0scbx8DuI
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a power rack? You can always get a moveable bench, put it in the rack, and set the safety bars high enough to not interfere with the lift but enough that can drop the weight if needed. Otherwise don't push that last rep unless you're 100% sure. What type of program are you following? It's kind of hard to may other recommendations without understanding your programming.
  • andrewptr1
    andrewptr1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    haha, yea i had an awkward moment asking for a spot yesterday. (guy had head phones in sitting on bench and i called over to him, he saw me..looked at me while i was trying to ask him for a spot, then he just went about his business...pretty weird) that being said people are generally very good about giving some quick help. it takes a second and everyone needs a spot from time to time. Good point for dumb bells, great for evening out uneven arms, stabilizers, and you can dump them easily...
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    ...I need this info.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options

is asking to put a note up in your gym looking for a gym partner an option? you never know there may be someone else in the same position

Tried it. With my somewhat odd schedule, I haven't been able to find anyone (I tried a few meetup groups as well, just to cover my bases).
  • grimendale
    Options
    Does your gym have a power rack? You can always get a moveable bench, put it in the rack, and set the safety bars high enough to not interfere with the lift but enough that can drop the weight if needed. Otherwise don't push that last rep unless you're 100% sure. What type of program are you following? It's kind of hard to may other recommendations without understanding your programming.

I've been doing SL5x5 for a while, and am reaching a point where I want to give RPT a try, so getting that last rep is important. I thought about the power rack, but was worried that it might come off as a douche move (much like curling in the rack), but that would be the preferred option if the gym isn't too busy.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

I've been doing SL5x5 for a while, and am reaching a point where I want to give RPT a try, so getting that last rep is important. I thought about the power rack, but was worried that it might come off as a douche move (much like curling in the rack), but that would be the preferred option if the gym isn't too busy.

I wouldn't worry about it, just use the power rack; that's at least an acceptable use of the power rack. Either that or find a spotter (I know you don't want to but...), just make sure to instruct them that they are only to touch the bar if you get stapled to the bench, no help otherwise.
  • grimendale
    Options
    You do know how you get stronger right. It is in those last reps that are difficult where the fibers are working the hardest. I would just ask someone to spot you. Even I still ask random people and one time I had a sideline injury from asking for a spot. Does that still stop me from asking for help. NO one cares how little the weight is. I rather you ask and get it without my help then get stuck and watch you do the roll of shame.

Yes, I'm aware that the last rep is important (hence this question - I don't want to dump out too early if I don't have to). As for getting a spot, easier said than done (see comment about social anxiety in the initial post - it's getting better, but there's no way I can make myself ask a random person for a spot. I sometimes have trouble making myself pick up the phone to call people I know, and that's to do something I want to do.)