fast food

Options
is there anything half healthy at McDonald's? there are moments where my family and i are on the road and choose to go there because it's easy and cheap. i had a mcChicken today with a small fry and it pretty much ruined my day.

Replies

• carrieann8080
    Options
    The fries are a calorie killer :) Some of the salad are okay but watch the dressing....I usually get a grilled chicken classic with no mayo...that one isn't too bad for ya :)
  • crystaltellor
    crystaltellor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    get a happy meal with apple dippers
  • cnance
    cnance Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Their grilled chicken salads are pretty low in calories. I also like their Balsamic Vinaigrette, its pretty low in calories and fat. The Southwest dressing isn't bad either.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I believe a lot of the stuff is in MFP's database. Can't really go wrong with a salad as long as you choose non-fried and light dressing.
  • chrish1981
    Options
    Not sure about McDonald's, but the fries at BK are RIDICULOUS!!

If the info on this food database is correct: I am better off (calorie-wise) with 2 whopper juniors (no cheese or mayo) than with one whopper junior (no cheese or mayo) and a small fry!

Taco Bell has some REALLY tasty low-cal choices, BTW.
  • kmahly
    kmahly Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My go-to meal if I'm stuck eating at McDonalds for whatever reason- a grilled chicken snack wrap (honey mustard), a bag of apple slices (without the caramel of course) and a jug of skim milk. I think that clocks in at 395 cals with 47 carbs, 12 fat, and 26 protein. You could also do a Quarter Pounder burger without the cheese- but that would be it- just the sandwich... and I believe that clocks in around the 400s and gives you a decent amount of protein. Ask them to add more veggies to the quarter pounder too... otherwise all you get is a measly onion and pickle.
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    The grilled chicken snack wrap minus the cheese and honey mustard isnt bad at all, i get the honey mustard on the side and just use Maybe a teaspoon of it to dip, and they are quite tasty too!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    o i forgot they had snack wraps
  • newcomba
    Options
    I got a chicken nugget happy meal with apple dippers and water the other day. Most restaurants have the nutritional information on their websites, you just gotta do some research before you go.

I've gone so far as to print out the nutritional information from the fast food restaurants I frequent the most.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I get the premium bacon ranch salad (I think that's it's name) with the grilled chicken. Either skip the dressing altogether, it's actually very tasty without it. Or if you absolutely need something, throw on a container of BBQ sauce. Salad alone is 260, with the BBQ sauce it's 310. The sodium is bad, but then, it is for everything on their menu. lol
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone that can store PDFs or other documents, you can often just download the info and keep it right on your phone so you always have it. I have about three dozen different places nutritional info charts in my phone right now.

Also, if you have an iPhone, there are a ton of free apps out there that have restaurant nutritionals as well. Though, they aren't always kept as up to date as the restaurants keep the stuff on their sites, so they may be missing items or have things the restaurant no longer has. So that's why I turned to the actual restaurant info directly whenever possible.

And if someplace doesn't have the info posted, e-mail them and ask them to send it to you. I've only ever had one place not send anything. As a matter of fact, I just finished loading the menu of the place I'm having dinner tomorrow from the e-mail I just got from them. :D
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    you should go to the book store or the library ( I think even Walmart has it now) It's called eat this and not that. Its got LOTS of fast food calories, and will be amazed on how much stuff has CRAZY amounts of calories and others with hundreds less.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    thanks! that book eat this and not that sounds great i'll check it out. or even printing out the info and keeping it in my purse is good too. i don't have a iphone
  • bizybeemom
    bizybeemom Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Southwest Chicken Salad is awesome. DELICIOUS!!!! That's what I get when I go there. I don't even miss the greasy stuff anymore.
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    they have the snack wrap thats decent in calories. I like to get a large unsweeet tea and use splenda to sweeten it myself., You can get the apple dippers by themself. If you do get a salad, dont put on all the toppings they give you. veggies are a good but fried, breads, or fat just arent. Get a diet drink cause most americans drink down atleast a third of their daily calories. ouchie! a third of our calories went to coke. try the macdonalds websight. and one more thing. i use to get the small cherry slush from sonic and i thought i was doing myself a favor cause i use to get a route 44 so i switched to a small. that thing was 200 calories but yet 76 grams of sugar! wow! woah! okay need to lay off those
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I don't eat McDonalds. But I'd assume they have grilled chicken? You could try ordering that. Eat it without the bun if you really wanna watch the calories.

Subway would probably be the way to go if you want to stop for fast food. Still not the best choice! But they do have plenty of options if you are watching what you eat.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Here is a website which summarizes the best options at all the major fast food places;

http://www.netsweat.com/Fitness/Fast-Food-Nutrition.html
  • addie807
    Options
    I work at McDonald's and there is nothing healthy about it...lol. But if you are looking for something on the light side, try the premium salads with grilled chicken(not crispy), the chicken wraps also grilled not crispy, the parfait, and or the fruit&walnut salad. Also instead of getting soda, get a bottle of water, we have those... at least my McD's does.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    And here is a link with even more options and fast food chains:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1193
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    There are a number of variations/spin-offs of that book, too. "Drink This, Not That" and "Cook This, Not That", for example. I'm really amazed that some of the things they recommend aren't really as bad as I might have thought, and the stuff they recommend against - wow, some of that stuff is insane in calories, fat, and sodium.