Stronglifts 5x5 not for beginner females?

Options

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My money says, the percentages of people (male or female) sticking with lifting, after STARTING with 5x5 strong lifts will be extremely low. That is, if you going heavy enough where you are fighting rep number 5! Most will be so sore out of the gate, they will be done with it.

Its bad advise telling a beginner to push that hard. Learn how to lift and develop form and control first.

The 5 core exercises are exactly what you need. BUT, do more reps. And cycle your workouts based on your recovery and the way you feel, and not what day it is.

My advise is, learn to have fun with it vs trying to 5 rep "kill it" out of the gate.

I think you misunderstand the program. You don't jump right out of the starting gate with weights you're struggling with. You're supposed to start with an empty bar, and add 5/10 lbs at a time (depending on upper or lower body exercise) in order to learn form. Now, there are some who even the empty bar will be too heavy...it was for me on OHP. If that is the case, you can start with dumbbells and do the same idea until you get to the bar.

So I started with an empty bar for deadlifts. It wasn't heavy, at all, but I had plenty of time to practice form before it got to the point where I was having to really work to get my final rep. Because of that, the DOMS weren't too bad except for squats, but I still get DOMS with squats.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    ive been doing stronglifts 5x5 as I am a beginner, but to be honest, Im really struggling, the weight is added so quickly that I am really struggling to keep up with it and its suddenly extremely hard, extremely quickly. I have spoken to my gym and the instructor is going to give me another programme to follow. I specified I wanted to use free weights and lift heavier weights. Stronglifts 5x5 just got too heavy, too quickly

When the weights get too heavy, you can go with smaller increases (get fractional plates) and also stay at the same weight for a couple workouts until you can move up again. The plan has steps to follow when an increase is too much. This includes staying at same weight or even de-loading some.

I do Strong Lifts, but had to modify a little (back injury plus other issues). My increases are usually only 2.5lb or 5lbs at a time. And there are weeks I have to stay at the same weight, like for the OHP. Still increasing overall, though.:drinker:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Just downloaded it.

Welcome
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women.
    Its a book and has a workout program.

The author now recommends New Rules Supercharged for everybody.
  • mikedenali
    mikedenali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Someone else just said that a trainer friend said to start with a beginner program. Makes me mad, SL is a beginner program. You start with very manageable weights and work up at a good pace. If you use the app on your smart phone it makes it almost completely thought free. All you have to concentrate on is putting down and picking up heavy things.

I started the last week of April:
    Squats-45lbs to 160lbs
    OHP-45lbs to 80lbs
    Bench-45lbs to 105lbs
    Row-65lbs to 105lbs
    Deadlift-95lbs to 175lbs

I have a question....do you do ONE set of deadlifts, as recommended? I was doing 5 sets until I read it again and saw my mistake.

I do 5 sets of deadlifts, not 1 as recomended, but hey what do I know?
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    My money says, the percentages of people (male or female) sticking with lifting, after STARTING with 5x5 strong lifts will be extremely low. That is, if you going heavy enough where you are fighting rep number 5! Most will be so sore out of the gate, they will be done with it.

Its bad advise telling a beginner to push that hard. Learn how to lift and develop form and control first.

The 5 core exercises are exactly what you need. BUT, do more reps. And cycle your workouts based on your recovery and the way you feel, and not what day it is.

My advise is, learn to have fun with it vs trying to 5 rep "kill it" out of the gate.

Usually more reps is what leads to soreness.....
    Where as the 3 - 5 rep range should not result in a lot of DOMS.....

Except for newbies....where doing the exercises for the first time will be sore regardless of reps

:noway:

A person who hasn't lifted has weaker tendons and ligaments. That is what gest newbies with 5x5`s, and why I advise against it. They are hard on your joints, out of the box, their joints are ready. And muscle and strength develops faster. So I stand firm with doing more reps.

BUT, I`m saying this as if, a person was actually driving that last rep or 2! But most in the gyms just go through the motions and don`t push hard anyway.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm six weeks in to stronglifts. I've been lifting for a few years so In the beginning it was very easy for me but the weights add up quickly and it's getting pretty tough. Because you are new to lifting, I would suggest starting lighter than the olympic bar on some or all of the exercises so you can really get your form down before the weight starts adding up. Watch the videos - they are very informative and will help you with form.

For a warm up I generally just walk the track at my gym a few laps and/or do some step ups if the weight room is pretty empty. If it's full and a squat rack is open, I get in there so I don't lose it.

You could also look at New Rules of Lifting for Women and Starting Strength. Starting Strength is basically the same as Strong Lifts - just 3 sets of 5 instead of 5 sets of 5. I may switch to 3x5 as I increase my running mileage for a half marathon I'm doing in November. I've noticed my legs are a lot more tired now on my runs.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

You also start the program much lower than you can actually lift, so by the time you are really pushing yourself you have been doing the program for weeks already
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Your friend is an idiot. StrongLifts is for beginners, regardless of sex. Women should train just like men do - there are no "female exercises" and "male exercises." I started with StrongLifts and did just fine.

Remember that most people you encounter out in the real world don't know squat (get it?) about lifting. Take everyone's advice with a grain of salt and do your own research. Listen to people who have actually done it.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Except for newbies....where doing the exercises for the first time will be sore regardless of reps

A person who hasn't lifted has weaker tendons and ligaments. That is what gest newbies with 5x5`s, and why I advise against it. They are hard on your joints, out of the box, their joints are ready. And muscle and strength develops faster. So I stand firm with doing more reps.

BUT, I`m saying this as if, a person was actually driving that last rep or 2! But most in the gyms just go through the motions and don`t push hard anyway.

Have you actually taken the time to read through the program, and how he advises starting out?
  • 1911JR
    Options

Have you actually taken the time to read through the program, and how he advises starting out?

Yes I have, and I disagree. Is that ok with you? Sorry I didn't run this by you first.

I stand behind what I have said. To gain from a 5x5 you have to push those last reps hard and go heavy. If not, your wasting your time, and will gain nothing. I do 5x5`s and have done them for years. I cycle through them when I want my strength up.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    SL was designed around beginners. Anyone who says it's not appropriate for beginners is just.. WTF
  • Cheeseburger85
    Cheeseburger85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Yes I have, and I disagree. Is that ok with you? Sorry I didn't run this by you first.

I stand behind what I have said. To gain from a 5x5 you have to push those last reps hard and go heavy. If not, your wasting your time, and will gain nothing. I do 5x5`s and have done them for years. I cycle through them when I want my strength up.

Well, that's your opinion... and it is incorrect.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    should just focus more on smaller weight ("5lb dumbbells in each hand") exercises, which leaves me a bit disheartened...

My purse weighs more than that. I'm not going to call it exercise to carry it. First I'd hit him with it and then I'd pick up some heavier weights.
  • Rachifloon
    Rachifloon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you to everyone for your answers! As many have suggested, for the first two weeks (through Workout A and Workout B) I was planning on just using the bar/minimal weight to get my form down (and if I need more practise then so be it) before I start actually adding plates. Slow and steady, right? But at least I know this is suitable for my level now.

I do have one more question: (Exercise and number increase just using as examples.) If I increase my OHP weight from comfortably doing 50lbs to 60lbs but find myself struggling on the third set to the point where I drop the bar, do I not do the other two sets that day or do I do the other 2 sets at 50lbs? Also, due to that failure at 60lbs, should I continue with that same 60lb weight the next workout and every workout onwards until I complete the 5 sets, then increase, or should I decrease back down to the comfortable 50lbs and increase to 60lbs when I feel like I can manage it?

It's been a while since I read through the SL site so I think I may have to do that again soon... |D
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I do have one more question: (Exercise and number increase just using as examples.) If I increase my OHP weight from comfortably doing 50lbs to 60lbs but find myself struggling on the third set to the point where I drop the bar, do I not do the other two sets that day or do I do the other 2 sets at 50lbs? Also, due to that failure at 60lbs, should I continue with that same 60lb weight the next workout and every workout onwards until I complete the 5 sets, then increase, or should I decrease back down to the comfortable 50lbs and increase to 60lbs when I feel like I can manage it?

You continue the sets. When you fail a rep, you take a 5 min rest period then try again on your next set. If you are on 60 lbs, you continue the rest of your sets at 60 lbs. Then next workout you try 60 lbs again. If you fail it that time, next time you do OHP you repeat that weight. If the third time you fail reps at 60 lbs, THEN you deload by 10%.

Definitely re-read the info and download the phone app.
  • Lifeisgood4
    Lifeisgood4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'll finally be in a position where I can join a gym next month and am hoping to start weights but I'm still a little confused about some things... I was looking into the Stronglifts 5x5 program and was planning to start that but was told by a friend who's been lifting for a couple of years that SL is the wrong program for a female beginner like myself** and should just focus more on smaller weight ("5lb dumbbells in each hand") exercises, which leaves me a bit disheartened... He didn't offer an alternative program so, asking here, are there any programs out there better suited to a beginner or was he just talking a load of crock?

He's wrong. Don't listen to him.
  • popem1982
    popem1982 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a real newbie in lifting, have just done day 2 of 5x5 and I love it!! I can't do the squats as I do it at home so ( please don't shoot me down) I do hack squats, For safety. But the app is brilliant.
  • 1911JR
    Options
    Hi, I am a real newbie in lifting, have just done day 2 of 5x5 and I love it!! I can't do the squats as I do it at home so ( please don't shoot me down) I do hack squats, For safety. But the app is brilliant.

I love hack squats, one of my favorite lifts.