Question for Clean Eaters!!!!

Options
Morning Yall. I have started eating clean just this week. My little sister is a bikini competitor and has set me up on a meal plan that is a variation of what she uses. Right now here is what I'm doing.

Meal 1: 4 egg whites - 2 whole eggs - 1/2 cup of oatmeal

Meal 2: Medium banana, apple, or grapefruit - one piece of low fat string cheese

Meal 3: 4oz Chicken Breast - 6oz sweet potato - 1 cup of veggies

Meal 4: 4 oz Chicken Breast or Talapia - 4 oz sweet potato, red potato, or brown rice - 1 cup of veggies

Meal 5: 4 oz Chicken Breast - 1 cup veggies

All spaced 3 hours apart and nothing but water.

My question....I'm not sure how long I can maintain eating the same thing all of the time so can I substitue anything in?

Also....For instance today I have a lunch meeting, can I not eat the sweet potato and just throw my chicken on top of fresh spinach leaves with some other fresh veggies and do a salad? Are their any dressings that are safe to eat? EVOO for instance?

Thanks so much! Also, feel free to add me if you'd like. :)

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sounds miserable and why only water and eating every 3 hrs?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Morning Yall. I have started eating clean just this week. My little sister is a bikini competitor and has set me up on a meal plan that is a variation of what she uses. Right now here is what I'm doing.

Meal 2: Medium banana, apple, or grapefruit - one piece of low fat string cheese

Meal 4: 4 oz Chicken Breast or Talapia - 4 oz sweet potato, red potato, or brown rice - 1 cup of veggies

My question....I'm not sure how long I can maintain eating the same thing all of the time so can I substitue anything in?

Also....For instance today I have a lunch meeting, can I not eat the sweet potato and just throw my chicken on top of fresh spinach leaves with some other fresh veggies and do a salad? Are their any dressings that are safe to eat? EVOO for instance?

No. It will only work if you eat it exactly as prescribed. If you change it up you will lose all benefits.
  • MrsMarkt2B
    MrsMarkt2B Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm aware I can change it up and still reap benefits. lol Maybe my questions weren't worded correctly. What ARE good substitues?

ACG67 - I was told 3 hours to keep resetting my metabolism. And as far as only water is concerned, I'm just trying to get in as much as I can and avoid the unnecessar sugars and empty calories from other drinks.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    Unless you have a preexisting metabolic condition, log all your food and eat what you like that fits your macros. Try to eat 80% "clean" unprocessed foods and fill in the rest with things you really like. Some good baseline macro numbers to hit are 1g protein / 1lb LBM; .33g fat / lb...These are minimums fill the rest with extra fats/proteins or carbs. Meal timing doesn't matter. You do not need to "reset" your metabolism.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant for the most part. No need to eat every three hours. That's an old debunked myth.
  • Jesyka_Gee
    Jesyka_Gee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi MrsMarkt2B!

Congrats on deciding to eat clean :) it's a lifestyle change but it's worth it.
    So for the substituting, I think it would be fine to do that, you really want starches after you workout so the sweet potato isn't absolutely necessary. It's a very good meal plan though, I'd like to go by it some day for myself.

Good luck!!
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to get in as much as I can and avoid the unnecessar sugars and empty calories from other drinks.

Diet Dr. Pepper is 0 calories :drinker:
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options

No. It will only work if you eat it exactly as prescribed. If you change it up you will lose all benefits.

What difference would it make if the chicken is on the veggies/salad or on the plate?
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    First, string cheese isn't really "clean eating" as its highly processed to get stringy.

All she's doing there is trying to get you to have 1-2 servings of protein and 1-2 servings of carbs with each meal. Don't forget though, you need to eat some fats or you'll get sick.

You can sub any fruit or veg for any fruit or veg. Just try to keep the processed stuff to a minimum and make all your snacks/meals balanced (a snack for me is never just an apple, its an apple w/ peanut butter. or grapes with almonds etc.). Putting your chicken on salad or other veggies would actually be better for avoiding sugar spikes as sweet potato is higher on the glycemic index (tho still totally an awesome for you food, I'm just saying...).

Feel free to add me as a friend and take a look through my diary or ask me questions. I eat pretty clean (with exception for my 1 cheat meal each week :)
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

You already know this diet isn't going to work for you because eating chicken breast 3 times a day just isn't sustainable. I think a lot of the foods on the list are great. I love chicken breast, rice, and sweet potatoes, but you have to add more variety in there if you want to stay healthy for your whole life. You need to find a diet that you can sustainably do for the rest of your life; otherwise, the weight will come back on when you stop eating that way.

Eat whatever you want. Just make sure it is at a deficit and you'll lose weight.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Fish, turkey, steak.

I prefer real potatoes to the sweet ones.

And, I'd think, any veggies

ETA: and string cheese is nasty, have the real stuff.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    I'm just trying to get in as much as I can and avoid the unnecessar sugars and empty calories from other drinks.

Diet Dr. Pepper is 0 calories :drinker:

And it tastes great!
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    Hi MrsMarkt2B!

Congrats on deciding to eat clean :) it's a lifestyle change but it's worth it.
    So for the substituting, I think it would be fine to do that, you really want starches after you workout so the sweet potato isn't absolutely necessary. It's a very good meal plan though, I'd like to go by it some day for myself.

Good luck!!

Why exactly does the timing of starches after your workout matter?
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    MrsMark-

I am what would be considered a clean eater. You are correct in your concerns about sustaining that menu. The menu appears to be more inline with someone already at the competitive level or reasonably in shape stage, which makes sense given the person who set you up with that menu. Following a diet plan from a fitness competitor when you're not in the same shape is almost a sure road to failure.

I've been eating clean for a while, Iost an initial 35lbs and am now on a secondary goal of losing another 30. But honestly, as a clean eater, your sample menu would drive me to the nearest Pizza Hut after a week. It's boring and has no creativity. Just my opinion and no intentions of being rude to your sister.

I've never considered clean eating as reducing calories but rather the type of food I choose to eat. Tracking my caloric intake is a byproduct of eating clean. And thus the slippery slope of what defines clean eating.

From a quick peek at your profile, you have some pounds to lose. I would suggest a more realistic eating plan that encompasses the right amount of calories vs. exercise vs. types of food to intake.

In other words, figure out what your daily caloric needs are for your weekly weight loss goal, then tailor a clean menu according to that. Keep in mind that eating clean does not mean you're stuck with 5 foods. There are a variety of foods that fall under what would be considered clean eating. Your menu is not very creative and will cause burnout or cracking very quickly.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You will be miserable and most likely to binge.
  • MrsMarkt2B
    MrsMarkt2B Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If been having to choke it down. I'd much rather have an ounce of actual cheese than the processed cheesestick, but I've been trying to stick to her plan. Ha!
  • semiller3
    semiller3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in learning more about clean eating, Tosca Reno has some great books on the subject. The idea is to have a complex carb & protein at every meal. You also need to add healthy fats. I can't recommend Tosca Reno's books enough.
  • Jesyka_Gee
    Jesyka_Gee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Jacwhite22,

Well to be more specific, it's recommended to eat starchy foods (i.e. potatoes, brown rice) after you do resistance training, not so much as cardio or low physical activity days. The starches help you build muscle following a workout, and since resistance training is geared toward sculpting your physique/building muscle, that's where the starches come in to play. This is according to my trainer though, he's the expert not I lol ;)
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Hi Jacwhite22,

Well to be more specific, it's recommended to eat starchy foods (i.e. potatoes, brown rice) after you do resistance training, not so much as cardio or low physical activity days. The starches help you build muscle following a workout, and since resistance training is geared toward sculpting your physique/building muscle, that's where the starches come in to play. This is according to my trainer though, he's the expert not I lol ;)

Actually a calorie surplus helps build muscle. Your trainer doesn't sound like an expert.
  • mshannond
    Options
    I would recommend you working out your macros that you want.
    Then adding all this, and reducing some of it to allow for a small treat at the end of the day.
    Clean eating can be done, however this is restricting.

Clean eating is possible, but you need to find healthy eyes to bake and treat yourself.