Diet Coke Addiction

Options
I have been drinking Diet Coke for over 15 years now. I drink about 60 ounces of it a day, but really want to stop. I have heard in the past if I just took away my diet coke habbit I could loose 15 pounds, but I do not know how I could cut it out of my daily life. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions??? PLEASE HELP!

Replies

• jlc2002
    jlc2002 Posts: 20
    Options
    you need to ween it out. Start cutting back. if you drink a bottle a day, cut it back to half for a couple, then a quarter, etc. If you quit cold turkey you will suffer major headaches. My bf has the same addiction.
  • Linshizzle
    Options
    I would like to know as well! I LOVE soda & i switched to Diet. I dont ALOT of them but I like to have one everyday. Anywho I have TOTALLY cut out soda this week, its been FOUR WHOLE DAYS!!! So anywho im glad you asked this!
  • BethFox
    BethFox Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey (can you say nausea inducing caffeine withdrawl headache?), but you could also try tapering off. Fill up on water instead of soda. Not much help, sorry. Good luck!
  • Grubaughj
    Grubaughj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem. I still drink a lot of Diet Coke each day, but I have given it up in the past for a few months at a time. I would subsitute it with iced tea during those times, since it was one of the few non-caloric drinks (besides water) that I like. But I always end up going back to Diet Coke because I just really like the taste of it. Interestingly, for me, I didn't really lose weight during the times I stopped drinking it. I think that depends on the person and what you end up drinking instead of the Diet Coke...
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I've heard you can start by buying another brand of diet cola. Say Diet Pepsi. Now I know that they are different, but if you do that for awhile, you may reverse your taste for the stuff. Drink less and less of it every day. Or if you can't stomach Diet Pepsi, try watering down your Diet Coke. Eventually making it more watery every time. Hopefully you will eventually lose your taste for it. Good luck!!!
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i LOVE mt dew. love might be an understatement. a few years back i was drinking 5 cans a day! when i was in high school, there was only coke products so i'd bring 2 mt dews with me every day. I'd drink one BEFORE CLASS at 8am! and one at lunch. i feel your pain.

i've discovered that the more i exercise, the less i really want mt dew. it just doesn't do it for me anymore. i still drink it when i eat certain foods, like pizza, and when my family goes out to eat, but i only have one a day, if that.

i drink a lot of crystal light because usually plain water just doesn't sound good!
  • LauraLLee
    LauraLLee Posts: 210
    Options
    I have cut soda out of my diet, I started drinking water, water and lots of water. It takes a couple of weeks to get used to that and I do have an occasional soda. ( once a week 6 oz) But in the end I see more results of weight loss because my sodium intake had decreased so much. Its not easy but you can do it!
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I went for quite a while without and then craved it, I now allow myself one 20 ounce a week and I keep it in the car and only drink it when I am in there.
  • gettiskinni
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your help so far! :)
  • cremedecassise
    Options
    Hi Hun, I drink 8 pints of water a day and allow myself one can of diet coke. Do you think you could get it down to one a day? Everytime you crave one - down some water? thats how i stopped drinking it so much.

Is diet coke really so bad for you if its just one a day? Ive never noticed weight loss due to decrease in diet coke...? I know its not great on teeth etc, but does it really effect wegiht?
  • gettiskinni
    Options
    I will have to try that sometime...water just does not always seem appealing to me. But, yes that is what I have heard that once you completely cut it out then you will lose 15 pounds! But I just feel like I could never completely cut it out.
  • ARMom8251
    ARMom8251 Posts: 194
    Options
    The diet Coke habit or coke habit for that matter is a very difficult thing to break. I know I have struggled with that for many years before I finally broke free of that addiction. It took lots of time and patience. I may have one every now and then but I never have a full bottle, and I find it often to sweet for me now. The best advice I can give you is find a healthier substitute that satisfies your craving. I personally like the sparkling green tea. I know it is still carbonated, but healthier than a diet coke would be, as long as you enjoy it in moderation. I have also discovered that when you are first trying to kick this bad habit it is best to try and kick it cold turkey. I have found through trial and error that when I tried to just cut back I eventually went back to the amount I was drinking before. The longer you go without it the better off you will be. It does get easier to not drink it, but it won't be easy. Good luck!
  • gettiskinni
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • stlouiscardinalsfan
    Options
    Just try to take it away cold turkey! And try to get others in the house not to drink pop either so you are not exposed to it as much.