What to do wih al my fat clothes?

Options
13»

Replies

• MichaelDByers
    Options
    I'd donate them instead of selling them at a garage sale or consignment shop. That way you get the tax write-off for full, original value of the clothes which probably outweighs any immediate cash you'd gain. That's my plan.
  • moparjer
    moparjer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When I lost 65 pounds (3 years ago), I donated several bags of clothes to our local Goodwill. This is the only choice in our city. I used to store my "fat" clothes in the garage, only to grow into them again because I knew they were out there! I suggest get them out of the house because you are changing a whole lifestyle and don't want to ever go back!
  • my_chrystal82
    my_chrystal82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you can part with them, consider donating to a battered women's shelter. Those women frequently start over with nothing but the clothes on their backs.

Love this idea!

I also love it!! Goes the same for furniture, once they're housed.

I worked at a VAW (Violence Against Women) shelter for 3 years. There is nothing un-pc about the term battered woman. She has been victimized and is in that place to reclaim her strength and independence. Before the trolls start freaking, I've also been a resident and have survived VAW myself, eleven years ago.
  • my_chrystal82
    my_chrystal82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'd donate them instead of selling them at a garage sale or consignment shop. That way you get the tax write-off for full, original value of the clothes which probably outweighs any immediate cash you'd gain. That's my plan.

VAW shelter can also provide a tax receipt for donated items! Smart tip and you get the full value of each item! Everybody wins :D
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'd just call it a shelter. For women.

Or call it whatever you like, it's not hurting me.

Honestly...I just hated how you went all crazy on the person who originally pointed out that "battered women" is an outdated term in many places.

Jeez Louise! This is getting pretty funny but I'm out...
  • JennyStixx
    JennyStixx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Burn them and never look back!!!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I donate all my clothes to goodwill. I shop there too so its like "renting" their clothes while I am dropping sizes right now. In fact I have another growing pile to give them soon. Goodwill is a great charity or you can find another one like a church who uses their thrift store proceeds to do a food pantry, etc. Yay for you on dropping sizes. Just make sure to keep only one pair so you can keep it as reference. My pair of pants I kept were tight as can be on the day I started this now they look like clown pants.

Please under no circumstances should you burn or throw them away when people could use them and that is not being a good recycler. Just saying. I vote Goodwill but do what you will.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Out if interest, in what country do you still use the term "battered women"?

Donate or sell, I think the key thing is to get rid as soon as you can!

Since I know you aren't really interested, but are asking so that you can launch into how you're better because you use a different term, why not just do that?

Also, for my amusement and the others I work with in the battered women's shelter, please do tell us why you're offended by the words.

Why do you people always pretend to have a question before you start your diatribes? Just skip that pretending-to-ask-a-question part. It's weird.

I apologise if you thought I was being passive aggressive. I wasn't, if was a genuine question because that term would be considered out of date here. As someone already explained very eloquently, it would be considered as offensive as "cripple". So when I read it's use being accepted I was surprised and curious. I am sorry my question offended you.
    Here we would use "Women's Shelter" or "Refuge" and yes, the term describing people (obv children and men as well as women) would be "those escaping domestic violence". Ie the person does not become defined by the abuser's behaviour or as Other.
    Just different societal norms I guess.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    charities have the hardest time stocking plus sized clothes from what i can remember. especially if you have work attire you could find somewhere that helps people find jobs and has a clothing bank... also halfway houses for foster kids...
  • dogluvr_2014
    dogluvr_2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I say donate them to a charity such as Goodwill or Salvation Army, etc. I plan on keeping one piece of my largest size just as a reminder of where I was but everything else will go because I am NEVER going back to that weight again. God Bless!! :happy:
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I should have sold mine. I gave them to Goodwill instead. I am not done, so maybe this next go round, I'll try a sale.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I forgot what I came on to say earlier! I got rid of all of my clothes as I slimmed down, but kept one pair of jeans as a reminder :smile:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I am keeping mine in my closet just in case I creep back up over time. That way I don't have to go shopping at the big and fat store.

Defeatist attitude! ;-)

I am not going back up this time. A year of losing and a year plus of figuring out how to stay here is not worthe another bout.

I threw some out, gave some to charity and some I left in the common area of my apartment building. I have a small apartment, so I sort through periodicaly anyway and get rid of stuff when I have too much.
  • shellecollins
    shellecollins Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Obviously donate them, if you can. eBay is a good option if you need the money. You can even join Facebook groups for "plus size" clothes. Fattoo is one that comes to mind.
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I would donate to goodwill pack them all up
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I would donate as well. Someone already said work clothes are needed big time, so I'd find a women's shelter or someting simlar. That's what I'm going to do with mine.

I already got all mine out of my closet. There is no going back!
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    There are two websites (that I know of but I'm sure there are more) where you can consign your better clothes. They are Thredup.com and Tradesy.com
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Make kites, tents, or make new clothes with them and if you can't be bothered with any of that give it to a charity.