Pasta weight query

Options
Hi.

Can someone please clarify something for me.

I eat fresh pasta and on back nutritional label it states something like:

100g = 160 calories.

Is this 100g that the packet is referring to 100g dry pasta weight OR 100g cooked pasta weight?!

My whole life I have been taking this as 100g dry fresh pasta (weighed using scales before cooking)

I have been reading other threads and now I am questioning my whole weighing system throughout life.

Have I been doing it wrong or am I right in thinking that the measurement on packet is for uncooked weight?? (Unless specified otherwise)

Thanks

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Not sure what kind of "fresh" pasta you are referring to (some is sold in the refrigerated section and is "wet"). Regardless, all weight on the serving size is prior to cooking. So, take it out of the package, weigh out a serving, then cook.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Uncooked weight normally is what they're referring to unless otherwise specified.
  • WAW26
    WAW26 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks.I was just reading another post and it occurred to me Id maybe been doing it wrong my whole life lol

Yeah there is one column with nothing written next to nutritional info and another with (x amount of cooked pasta is x) so as you say Im assuming first is the uncooked weight.

Thanks
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    The rice and pasta packages I have all specify that it is uncooked weight.
  • WAW26
    WAW26 Posts: 17
    Options
    Ill just stick with what I have been doing as Im assuming 100g cooked pasta would be about 10 bits of pasta haha

In answer to first post, its the refrigerated pasta at the Italian section in supermarkets in this case, Tesco fusilli.