Home Gym in Tiny Spaces

Options
I am thinking of getting some equipment for weight training/lifting but the only area available to put it all would be in our unfinished portion of our basement. Do any of you have at home gyms and have a limited amount of space to put all of your equipment? I would love to see some pictures for ideas.

Replies

• KurtRipped
    Options
    I have a tiny amount to space, so I just do video workouts, such as the ones from the Beachbody company. Today I burned 889 calories doing Insanity in a small space!
  • nogreenthumb
    Options
    I used to workout in my room when I lived at home, which basically gave me enough space for some dumbbells with interchangeable plates and a tv. I followed the Beachbody workouts.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    That's similar to what I do now... I do fitnessblender workout, and dumbell strength/cardio videos...
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    We have a power rack in our garage. On the lower end of the rear posts are where you put the plates. We have a bench we move in and out. Olympic bar stays onthe rack. It is in one corner of our cluttered garage, which is also where a boat and a tractor sleep, as well as an old couch and table, and my husband's workshop area, but it works. Sometimes my husband and I work out together and we both fit no problem.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    if you don't buy individual dumbells, a bench and or power rack don't take up THAT much space.

I do a lot of beach body videos myself. the only one i've done so far that you really needed some space was asylumn

you haven't really given an idea of how small your tiny space is, but if ressistance training is the goal and space is SERRIOUSLY limited then i'd recommend the TRX or another suspension trainer
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yup, my gym is in a corner in my basement. Got my weights and bench, treadmill and elliptical and a Bowflex but I just use the weights, bench and treadmill. The treadmill is only used in the winter as the winters here are brutal. In the summer I do all my cardio outside.

I would love to add a power rack to my gym one day.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have a "home gym" persay.

I have yoga mats, dumbbells (selectech adjustable), barbells, pull up bar, treadmill.......all in a room in my basement which is not large. I do a lot of Beachbody workout videos :)

it works for me!!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    21777730884898581982.jpg

99624627304581744703.jpg

About 20'x12'
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym in my garage, I would say about 10 x 10 space.

I have a squat rack, bench press, adjustable bench and all the accessories that come with that. It's small but it works for me. :smile:

Accessories are:

2 barbells
    1 curl bar (just got this recently)
    over 300 pounds of weight plates
    dumbbells
    exercise ball
    mat
    chin-up bar

ETA: Photos

10614296_10203517483571500_190920695734757338_n.jpg?oh=ed6feef62d429c8c001a32ade9cb2b3d&oe=545DAF2A

10557345_10203517484491523_1014753107856443812_n.jpg
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Tagging so maybe I'll remember to post pics later haha

I have a cage, a bar, the plates, a bench (not like Dope's), some dumbbells, a kettebell (yup, just 1), resistance bance, pull up bar (can't use the one on my cage due to the ceiling), pull up assistance bands, a bosu ball, a yoga mat, a yoga ball that's flat, an airex pad, pvc pipes for "foam" rolling, and a half foam (physical therapy).

I think my room is 14 x10?
    The rack is in the corner and with the bar centered, I've got like 2-3inches between the end of the bar and the wall.

Soon, there will be a recumbant bike in there too.
    Sadly no treadmill =[
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    <

My rack is sandwiched between a filing cabinet and a workbench with vice (a vice, not some seedy goings on...) squeezed in a spare corner of a workshop.

Room for the rack and enough room either side for the bar to poke and and for plate-loading purposes.

Top bar of rack doubles as a chinning bar.
  • katya_be
    Options
    21777730884898581982.jpg

99624627304581744703.jpg

About 20'x12'

Love this! Dream gym right there ^^
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have a really small space to work out. I have weights and there's room enough for that, but not much else. :)
  • katya_be
    Options
    I have a "home gym" persay.

I have yoga mats, dumbbells (selectech adjustable), barbells, pull up bar, treadmill.......all in a room in my basement which is not large. I do a lot of Beachbody workout videos :)

it works for me!!

That's pretty much what I have right now, except for the barbells. I really want more equipment for heavy weight lifting though
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I live in a smallish apartment and aside from the option of doing videos on Hulu or Amazon Prime and bodyweight exercises, I have a smaller elliptical, an adjustable bench, dumbbells with plates, Iron Gym Total Bar, Resistance Bands (mostly to help with assisted pull ups/chin ups), Suspension Straps that hook onto my pull up bar so I can do inverted rows, and a stability ball.

Everything is small enough so I can push to the side of the room and pull out as needed.

Here are links to some of the items:

http://www.amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-40-pound-Adjustable-Dumbbell/dp/B000VCDXNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407959552&sr=8-1&keywords=cap+barbell+set

(I have two sets of these because it makes moving to the next set or exercise easier - less time spent changing out plates. Aside from the plates here, I have larger plates which you can buy here or on Walmart as you need them.)

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Gym-Total-Upper-Workout/dp/B001EJMS6K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407959568&sr=8-2&keywords=iron+gym+total+bar

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002F24B7O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Bands-Loop-Resistance-8-Inch-Purple/dp/B007M4NR9I/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1407959610&sr=1-1&keywords=body+bands

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Mountain-Ball-2000-Pound-65cm/dp/B00DG9KIDQ/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1407959640&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=stabiity+ball
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    My home weight setup could fit entirely in a 10x12 space.

Powercage
    Platform
    bar
    300lbs oly weights
    a couple of sets of bumpers
    bowl with chalk bag
    three pairs of clips
    ez curl bar

Boom, done.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    21777730884898581982.jpg

99624627304581744703.jpg

About 20'x12'

yay rogue! will be buying from them soon. any particular reason why you choose the plate tree over storing plates on the rack? think the solution of storing plates on the rack was cheaper, but i was wondering if maybe they get in the way somehow.

OP, if you buy a power rack from roguefitness.com, then your entire order will ship for free.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I keep the plates and stuff in a pile under the tv desk. I had a bar made from a steel pipe at the metal supermarket, so it is not too big or heavy. I keep it in my bedroom. My husband built a bench that is perfectly sized for me, it fits in the corner, and when you flip it up it is also a dollhouse for our daughters. I also go to a gym.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I keep the plates and stuff in a pile under the tv desk. I had a bar made from a steel pipe at the metal supermarket, so it is not too big or heavy. I keep it in my bedroom. My husband built a bench that is perfectly sized for me, it fits in the corner, and when you flip it up it is also a dollhouse for our daughters. I also go to a gym.

I love the vibe this post gives off.