Is here a digital food scale that can sync to MFP?

Options
Is "there" a digital food scale that can sync to MFP?

Looking to automatically sync a food scale to MFP app

Replies

• send2thea
    send2thea Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had that same thought today and have been searching the web. I've found a couple bluetooth scales that sync to your phone on Amazon but haven't seen anything that syncs with MFP as of yet.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Scale schmail! I know what a 4oz serving of cake looks like.
    Man-eating-cake.jpg
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

what would that buy you exactly? You still have to enter the food (what you are weighing) somewhere? is it that hard to type in a 2-3 digit number (grams) of the food as well? Seriously....Please explain to me what the value added would be.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

No. The problem with that is that is has no way to tell what you are weighing. I weigh potatoes, butter and meat on the same scale. They all have different calories and macros. A scale that could sync all that information accurately would be very expensive.

The scale for your weight is obviously just for your body weight. That's why it can sync with MFP. It assumes you won't also be trying to sync the weight of your cat in a few minutes and your dog later today.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

what would that buy you exactly? You still have to enter the food (what you are weighing) somewhere? is it that hard to type in a 2-3 digit number (grams) of the food as well? Seriously....Please explain to me what the value added would be.
    No. The problem with that is that is has no way to tell what you are weighing. I weigh potatoes, butter and meat on the same scale. They all have different calories and macros. A scale that could sync all that information accurately would be very expensive.

The scale for your weight is obviously just for your body weight. That's why it can sync with MFP. It assumes you won't also be trying to sync the weight of your cat in a few minutes and your dog later today.

I do have somewhat of a solution to this... it was one of those "smart" things (watch, coffee pot, refrigerator... you get it), they could make it so you can select it on a screen. For example: Meat > chicken > boneless skinless breast. Still steems harder than just putting it on MFP, though.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I do have somewhat of a solution to this... it was one of those "smart" things (watch, coffee pot, refrigerator... you get it), they could make it so you can select it on a screen. For example: Meat > chicken > boneless skinless breast. Still steems harder than just putting it on MFP, though.

I had considered that as well. I also considered the price. I'm cheap.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Yeah. And that's for generic fruits and veggies, meats, and such. I don't think it'd have my protein powder available when I weigh it, or any sauces, etc that I use. Even if there was a custom thing where you could enter the things you weigh and then choose that in the future well...that's what you'd do on MFP anyways so......

Just really seems like adding a hindrance rather than making things easier.
  • srslybritt
    Options

I had considered that as well. I also considered the price. I'm cheap.

Haha, yup. Those smart watches came out, and I was like, "COOL!" .... "Oh, $200 for a watch? Naaaaaaaaaaaaah."

I broke my food scale and can't get myself to spend $20 on a new one. So I doubt I would buy a "smart scale" anyway.
  • srslybritt
    Options

Yeah. And that's for generic fruits and veggies, meats, and such. I don't think it'd have my protein powder available when I weigh it, or any sauces, etc that I use. Even if there was a custom thing where you could enter the things you weigh and then choose that in the future well...that's what you'd do on MFP anyways so......

Just really seems like adding a hindrance rather than making things easier.

Yep, you pretty much just fleshed out what I meant by it being more difficult than just getting on MFP and doing it.

Sounds like a PITA.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    OP. Some help on your desire for this invention please? I am trying to understand.
  • AllieLosingIt
    AllieLosingIt Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like to enter things manually to ensure accuracy, but it'd be a neat gadget (as a gift, I'm also cheap and my $15 scale suits me just fine) to further clutter my counter space. :laugh:
  • send2thea
    send2thea Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    On the scale that gave me the idea you entered in on the scale what you were weighing when you weighed it and it had a display that would give you all the nutritional info breakdown like MFP does, but it doesn't sync the info. My thinking was if it were a scale that synced your info from the scale end I could then sync to various food logging sites or apps I choose. I like to check out different sites or apps and compare them to MFP but logging food into all of them is the most time consuming part.
  • jeztash
    jeztash Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think what you're referring to is something like this:
    costco.ca/NutriScale-Crystal-Wireless-Food-Scale.product.100157960.html

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to sync with MFP, but it would be pretty awesome. You pick what you're weighing and then like the fitbit app, the values will background autosync with MFP (and then automatically with fitbit). 6.3 ounces of steak, you betcha! 134 grams of carrots, you got it! and so on.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You only use your bathroom scale for body weight? Clearly you're not up to the semi-annual meal prep weighting and cooking level. :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I have a decent cheap digital scale I got at Beds Bath and Beyond that works fine. Open the app next to the scale, weigh food, enter data....no biggy.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There are "smart food scales" out there, but I don't think any of them sync with MFP. For example, Countertop by Orange Chef: https://orangechef.com/product-details
    Log your food, automatically.

No more manual food logging. No guesswork. As you prep your ingredients using Countertop, it automatically logs exactly what you are eating. Most food logging systems are nothing more than guesstimates. Countertop gives you the real story of how your food affects you.

Or the SmartConnect Kitchen Scale by Escali: http://www.escali.com/smartconnect-kitchen-scale
    Send wireless measurements from the SmartConnect™ Kitchen Scale to the Escali SmartConnect app on your Apple or Android mobile device for detailed nutrition analysis.

I don't see any food scales in the "Apps" tab at the top of every page: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Somebody needs to invent a "smart" scale that knows what foods you are weighing. Whoever is able to do this stands to make millions.
  • syndeo
    syndeo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

Somebody needs to invent a "smart" scale that knows what foods you are weighing. Whoever is able to do this stands to make millions.

The scale just needs a barcode scanner built in.