weight flututaions

Options
hi all... i joined mfl 16 days ago...i have lost 2kgs.. when i checked my weight today it had an increase of 0.4 kg.. i dont know why.. im on 1200 calories per day and iam under my calorie control...need help on why there is fluctuation in my weight..

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Day to day changes in weight are absolutely meaningless. Pay no attention to them. If you stand on a scale and someone hands you 16 ounces of water what do you think will happen?

Weigh yourself every single day at the same time (usually first thing when you wake up after you pee). After a week goes by average you 7 daily weights. After a month goes by, compare your averages. You should see a downward trend. Once you have several weeks worth of averages, the day to day fluctuations become much less significant.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I agree that an average gives a more accurate account of your weight than daily fluctuations.
  • Aikigoth
    Aikigoth Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think an average person carries around about a 1/5 of a kilo of glycogen. (That is basically 100% ready to use energy, traditionally made from consumed carbs.) That number can swing down after heavy exercise and then spike back up after sleeping, for example. And I think we can vary our water in our body by 2 kilos without being considered odd. There is even more variance for women, although men do have their own hormonal cycle that does mess with their weight slightly.

Now, for this to be from fat you would have had to have eaten about 3,100 calories over maintenance.

How often are you weighing yourself?
  • anushyam13
    anushyam13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think an average person carries around about a 1/5 of a kilo of glycogen. (That is basically 100% ready to use energy, traditionally made from consumed carbs.) That number can swing down after heavy exercise and then spike back up after sleeping, for example. And I think we can vary our water in our body by 2 kilos without being considered odd. There is even more variance for women, although men do have their own hormonal cycle that does mess with their weight slightly.

Now, for this to be from fat you would have had to have eaten about 3,100 calories over maintenance.

How often are you weighing yourself?

i actaully weigh on every sunday but today i just checked out of curiosity...:tongue:
  • anushyam13
    anushyam13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Day to day changes in weight are absolutely meaningless. Pay no attention to them. If you stand on a scale and someone hands you 16 ounces of water what do you think will happen?

Weigh yourself every single day at the same time (usually first thing when you wake up after you pee). After a week goes by average you 7 daily weights. After a month goes by, compare your averages. You should see a downward trend. Once you have several weeks worth of averages, the day to day fluctuations become much less significant.

thank you so much..:smile: