TDEE & Fitbit

Options
After doing quite a lot of information re TDEE vs BMR and calorie intakes, I'm adjusting my calorie requirements on MFP to a higher level manually (I currently have MFP set to lose 0.5kg a week which gives me 1450 calories per day for). However, I just need a little clarification from people who have a little more experience in this, please. (And yes, I've tried to find info on this in the forums, but am having trouble so thought I'd start a new thread.)

I used http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ with the following stats: 34yo female, 64.5kg (141.9lb), 170cm (66.9 inches) tall, 3-5hours per week of moderate exercise.

It came up with BMR 1420, TDEE 2201, Daily calories 1761 (at 20% calorie deficit to lose fat).

I use a Fitbit Flex, and having looked at what my Fitbit estimates as my TDEE to be (2010 based on my history of movement), if I take off the 20% my daily calories should be 1608.

Do you think I should go by the calories I've calculated off my Fitbit TDEE rather than the Scooby's Calculator one?

I know it's like 150 calories, but still...that's 1050 calories extra over a week. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks.

Replies

• j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue as you. I started out at 2500 calories and had to bump it up to 2800 calories because I was losing weight too fast. With as much exercise as you're doing I think the 1761 would be fine. Those calculators give goods starting points but everyone's body is different so it takes a bit of trial and error to get to the right intake. Just do a calorie number for a few weeks and adjust as needed.

Also, I personally like the idea of macros. Not sure if you've factored them in or not. Makes me feel less hungry if I hit my protein target. There are other benefits but I mostly do it because it makes the whole calorie counting thing easier to sustain.
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Yeah, I do also focus on my macros to help me get to my goals re body fat percentage, but that's a separate issue. I figured I'd start with adjusting my daily calorie requirements and than adjust my macros once I've got the calorie part right.
  • my_2_cents
    my_2_cents Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit one, and what I do is set my MFP to automatically determine calories for a sedentary activity level. I then let it automatically add calories for any exercise based on my fitbit stats. On days when I do absolutely no exercise, MFP is right on, and on days when I run for an hour it adds about 500-600 calories, maybe a bit more depending on my speed.

I have mine set for 2 lbs per week and I consistently lose 2-2.5 lbs per week with that setup.

Basically my theory is to trust MFP and fitbit as they have thousands of people's stats where they compare food in with weight lost and exercise. This means their computers have so much statistical data that they can easily be very accurate. So far its working very well for me. I have read that the only time you really need to carefully calculate TDEE on another site is when you don't have an activity monitoring device.

Of course Fitbit doesn't monitor weight lifting, so if you're doing activities like that, make sure you manually log them on the fitbit app to get the calorie credits. The only activity I currently log is driving, and I use the Drivebit app to do that quickly and easily, and only for drives over 20 minutes or so.
  • peejaygee1
    Options
    I've never heard of Drivebit before...thanks for the tip!
  • my_2_cents
    Options
    I've never heard of Drivebit before...thanks for the tip!

I use it on my BlackBerry Z10 and it works great.

Its a very basic Android app that only does one thing....you hit start when you start driving and stop when you stop. It logs driving on the fitbit site for that time, but it also cancels any steps that were logged from you hitting potholes or moving around in the car. The calorie count for driving seems high to some people, but I drive about 90 minutes a day and eat all my exercise calories and so far it works for me. I believe the brain uses far more calories for driving than the body though, that's likely the difference over sedentary calorie burn numbers.
  • peejaygee1
    Options
    Anybody else, please? I'd love to hear a few opinions on this. Thanks.
  • peejaygee1
    Options
    Bump
  • my_2_cents
    Options
    Bump

Bump this during North American daylight hours and you're likely to get a large number of answers quickly.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit flex. My best advice is throw it away! Seriously, the flex only measures wrist movement and bases their guesstimate calorie expenditure on that. The flex does not measure calories burned if your arms aren't moving - such as carrying a child, pushing a stroller or grocery cart, etc.

I find the accuracy of the Flex to be highly questionable and would not base any of my calorie calculations on what it says.

I personally, prefer the approach of setting my calorie goal at my BMR and eating some of my exercise calories back when I feel I need too. Note: according to my research MFP exaggerates the exercise calories burned by about 1/2 - so if you eat your exercise back beware!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would trust a monitor over an online calculator, especially if it gave a more conservative estimate and I wanted to lose weight. It's not like you even need to know your TDEE. You can just pick a clear deficit eating level and see what happens. If you lose at the rate you want, continue. If not, eat less. Most people can lose at 1500 or at 1200, it's just a trade-off of speed vs. comfort.
  • peejaygee1
    Options
    Thanks for your input guys!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I use the One and letting it calculate my total daily burn seems to work well.

In my opinion - the Fitbit does well for me. I think it would be off (low) if you did alot of intense cardio since it doesn't have a HRM function. Can't tell anything but steps and frequency. So if you're on a treadmill at 4.0 and 0 incline its going to register the same burn as 4.0 and 10 incline.

With that said, it would be sensible to pick one and try for a month. Determine how you feel, see how you're progressing. Then adjust if necessary.
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I use both a TDEE calculator (with body fat % calculations) and a Fitbit Flex. I was pleased to find that the calculations for both are always within 50-100 calories of each other. I have lost weight steadily at a 20% deficit using the online calculator as a guide and the weekly Fitbit summaries as validation.

Pretty darn accurate for me.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I use Fitbit's just because I know my TDEE changes daily- for example, if I'm going to classes and running all over campus to make appointments v. a weekend where I sit on my butt. For me, at least, fitbit lets me change how I eat accordingly.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How long have you been logging, using what method, and what have your results been?

For example, I have a fitbit and I've been using the calorie burn estimation for 2 months. In that time my weight has done what I would expect it to do. Which makes me reasonably sure that my fitbit is fairly accurate.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Fitbit uses the BMI method of figuring out your daily allowance, so if you're not perfectly, statistically average, it will be off. My Fitbit calories are about 250-300 less than my actual TDEE. I got my Fitbit after figuring out my true TDEE over a few months of data collecting, so I appreciate it for what else it does. :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Fitbit uses the BMI method of figuring out your daily allowance, so if you're not perfectly, statistically average, it will be off. My Fitbit calories are about 250-300 less than my actual TDEE. I got my Fitbit after figuring out my true TDEE over a few months of data collecting, so I appreciate it for what else it does. :)
    I think you mean BMR. Every estimator uses that, but you're right, it's based on averages. Averages work fine for most of us, but not all. But if you're 10% below average, you always are, and the trend from an estimator is still very useful.

If you know you burn more than your Mifflin St Jeor estimate (the one Fitbit uses) you can tweak your inputs to make it closer to you're own estimate. E.g., you think you burn more than the estimator so tell your Fitbit you're taller than you are to ratchet that up as much as you want.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Personally, I set my fitbit to a 1 pound a week loss and have it tell me daily where I am at and what I can eat. It adjusts by the minute and automatically takes into account how much I have burned. I never put myself on an I can only eat 1400 calorie budget. With an office job and 6 kids I could be stuck at my desk all day or running around. I can burn 1400 calories one day and 2200 the next depending so I rely on its accuracy to tell me how much based on my movement is left in by food budget for the day.

I use it for all my exercise and found it relatively accurate. Yes you can’t have it know if you are carrying a baby or doing something of that nature only a HRM can give you your burns on that. However, it is MUCH better then guessing and MUCH more accurate as to where you are at for the day with your overall burn. Helps me put down that bowl of ice cream if I haven’t earned it.

I am in maintenance mode right now and I am finding it very helpful to maintaining my weight.
    So to the point. Let it tell you daily what you can eat as each day can very greatly.
  • peejaygee1
    Options
    How long have you been logging, using what method, and what have your results been?

For example, I have a fitbit and I've been using the calorie burn estimation for 2 months. In that time my weight has done what I would expect it to do. Which makes me reasonably sure that my fitbit is fairly accurate.
    I have been a member of MFP since 2011, but have only started using it properly for about a year. I lost most of my weight offline and when that progress slowed, got on MFP to track what I needed to change. I sat on the MFP recommended 1200 calories per day for about 9 months or so and wasn't getting anywhere fast. With the help of the forums I decided to change my settings to lose 0.25kg (0.5lb) per week, which gave me 1450 calories a day and started the scales moving again. Albeit only for a short time and then I stalled again. I've been maintaining now for approx. 3 months and just want to lose this last little bit before goal (59kg/130lb).

I have been reading up a lot about TDEE vs BMR and have decided to take a leap of faith and follow the TDEE-20% method to help me kick these couple of final kgs. I've also recently starting lifting so feel I need to increase my calorie allowance so I'm not starving every single day...lol