Achilles Tendonitis/Bone Spur/Plantar Fasciitis - OUCH!

Options
I was diagnosed with a bone spur/plantar fasciitis ages ago, but now I think I may have achilles tendonitis or a combination of things. I have excruciating pain about 1.5 inches above the heel of my foot when I walk, or when I'm wearing any shoes other than my sneakers. It even hurts for a few minutes after putting my sneakers on. I have inserts, but they, of course, only help when I'm wearing my sneakers. I have tried stretching, the tennis ball under my arch, the thingy that attaches to my shin and pulls my toes back while I sleep ... nothing works. And now that I'm exercising regularly, it's really agonizing. I know it will most likely improve when I shed some weight, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on products or treatments you've used that have been successful.

I have been to an orthopedist, and he said my next step is surgery. I'm not opposed to surgery if things don't improve once I lose all my weight, but I really don't want to be sidelined when I've just started making progress. But this damn thing HURTS!!!

Thanks!

Replies

• kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have the achilles tendonitis also. The only thing the doctor tells me that really helps is to stretch the muscle every day in addition to losing weight of course. So far, I've lost almost 40 pounds and I have to admit, that the pain is lessening. I also bought a pair of shape-ups from Skechers. They realllly work. I was skeptical and they were a little weird at first, but they are very comfortable and have helped a great deal. I wish you luck in dealing with this. Don't give up hope! :flowerforyou:
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I suffered with Plantar Fascitis for ages. Finally went to the doctor and he told me to take two Aleve twice a day for 7 days. He said that was prescription strength. It stopped the inflammation and thus the pain. It would be worth a try as long as the Aleve doesn't bother your stomach.
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    I also bought a pair of shape-ups from Skechers. They realllly work. I was skeptical and they were a little weird at first, but they are very comfortable and have helped a great deal. :flowerforyou:

I will try these. I have been looking at them as well as something called "Fit Flops" - my downfall is that I live in FL and hate to wear close-toed shoes. I'm definitely a flip flop girl. Most of the time before I could handle the achiness, but it has really become painful since I started exercising.

Sue, I'll try the Aleve for 7 days. I hadn't take that in ages because I either pregnant or nursing babies forever it seems. We finally got some back in the house a couple of months ago, so I'll try that. I can't hurt!
  • sbussard
    Options
    Hi, My name is Stacey and I have been battling plantar fasciitis and heel spurs for over a year, it has been a total nightmare for me and the main reason I put some weight on, I was unable to do cardio for several months. I am back to doing some light cardio and lift daily but I am still very limited on what I can and can't do on my feet.

I have been seeing a Podiatrist for about a year and with time and finally following his instructions I am getting better. Some of the things he has done for me is custom orthotics, injections in the feet, and ICE ICE ICE and stretching and I have been told NEVER to go bare foot or wear flip flops again. I also had to wear a walking cast for about 4 to 6 wears and I think that is wear my healing really started taking place. It is also all about good shoes, I wear ECCO sandals in the summer and I am completely pain free in them and I have had extremely good luck with Sacony tennis shoes.

Another thing I can tell you is you have to let the plantars heel and that can only be done with rest and staying off them as much as possible. Not as easy as it sounds.

My doctor also told me that as the heel spurs grows it will eliminate some of the pain as it releases some of the plantars pain.

I wish you the best, I don't wish this on my worse enemy, it has been the worse pain of my life.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of the Runtones from Reebok and they have been the ONLY thing that has relieved me of my plantar fasciitis. They're been a god send.
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    [quote/]
    I have been seeing a Podiatrist for about a year and with time and finally following his instructions I am getting better. Some of the things he has done for me is custom orthotics, injections in the feet, and ICE ICE ICE and stretching and I have been told NEVER to go bare foot or wear flip flops again. I also had to wear a walking cast for about 4 to 6 wears and I think that is wear my healing really started taking place. It is also all about good shoes, I wear ECCO sandals in the summer and I am completely pain free in them and I have had extremely good luck with Sacony tennis shoes.

Another thing I can tell you is you have to let the plantars heel and that can only be done with rest and staying off them as much as possible. Not as easy as it sounds.

My doctor also told me that as the heel spurs grows it will eliminate some of the pain as it releases some of the plantars pain.

I wish you the best, I don't wish this on my worse enemy, it has been the worse pain of my life.
    [/quote]

Stacey, I will take a look at the ECCO sandals, and I am considering talking to my doctor or orthopedist for a cortisone injection. I would be really sad to stop working out, so I'm not going to, I'll have to figure something out, though. I currently wear New Balance, but I also liked Saucony's before. My feet grew TWO SIZES after having my kids, so I have about 12 pairs of sneakers in my closet. I think I may be ready for a new pair.

Ice Princess, I've never been a fan of Reeboks, so I'll have to see if there is something similar on the market.

Thanks!