Restoring my body from anorexia

Options
Hi all, i'm 18 years old, and have had an eating disorder for about two years now. I lost about 45 pounds during that time, and now I am at about 85 pounds at 5'3". Luckily, I'm beginning the recovery process by eating a lot more, and resisting the urge to purge. I've been eating many foods with healthy fats such as avocados, nuts, and oils. I need to and want to gain weight, but in a healthy way. However, I'm very frustrated because after several weeks of drastically improving my eating style, I still feel very fatigued, and I've not gained any weight.
I eat three meals a day at about 400 cal each, and I have snacks in between each. I either drink a glass of almond milk, or a big spoon of almond butter before bed every night.
I stopped exercising in order to prevent muscle death or my body metabolizing muscle. I want to gain weight and a healthy way, so I was wondering if anybody had any tips on specific foods or meals to eat. My goal is to get to about 105 pounds.
Tips, recipes, and support are all welcome!
Thank you!

Replies

• skaterickets
    Options
    Keeping track of calories is very good, but perhaps you need to peel back a layer. It's great that your eating fats, but there are not many people who feel great without adding carbs, especially if you're exercising. Track your macronutrients and tweak them around to see if they play a role with your fatigue.
    Also keep in mind that being at such a low bodyweight you are just bound to feel weaker, its only natural and I will guarantee you it will decrease as you add weight slowly. But I can't stress "slowly" enough! By doing resistance and maybe some aerobic training, you should aim for 0.5-1lb of weight gain a week. Since you're recovering you are especially susceptible to fast increases in muscle gain, but as time goes by I would slowly pull back to maybe no more than 0.5lb a week until you reach your desired weight, and then figure out your goal from there(if any).

As for the foods, it all comes down to calories and macronutrients. You get to pick whatever you like! Obviously keep common sense--not a ridiculous amount of fructose, trans fats, etc. If you're having trouble gaining weight eat less filling foods...peanut butter, pancakes, white rice, etc. and vice versa if you're gaining weight too fast, some of my favorite filling foods are sweet potatoes, oats, and of course any kind of protein. But I think this is another thing you will have to self experiment with, and macros may play a role here as well... Some people feel very full with fats, others can eat half a stick of butter and still be hungry.
    Congrats on your determination though, I feel I can somewhat relate as I had gastritis and lost 35lb in about 2 months, and I wish I would've been smarter about the way I put the weight back on, now I have to diet back because I put on fat faster than I should've...

Let me know if you have any questions!
  • holmesmd
    holmesmd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost 1/3 of my body weight due to an illness (unrelated to anorexia but it left me at 5'10 near 100 lbs) and struggled for a long time afterwards to add the weight back on. And even though I was desperate to return to a normal weight, I did become afraid of becoming fat or experiencing the "NFL effect" of gaining lots of fat quickly and then fighting to turn it into muscle for years afterwards even if at a normal weight. My doctor was adamant that I not exercise because I was so low in body weight that I needed all the calories that I could get. But as an athlete it was killing me mentally to not be moving around and I finally started exercising despite my doctors orders.

I started biking to work and school, nothing much, like 30 minutes of light cardio a day. But it was enough for my muscles to need to spring into action and the weight came back on like magic. Take that Dr. _____! Within a month I had gained two pounds with no calorie adjustment and stayed on that weight trajectory until I reached the low end of the normal weight range and could focus on more detailed nutrition as opposed to pure weight gain.

It was a slow process though (and you want it to be a slow process to not stress your body, especially your heart). Within 1.5 years I had reached 140-145 lbs, and I spent the next year turning all the extra fat I gained into muscle (your body will put on more fat than muscle at first, which is very scary, but once your metabolism figures out that its not supposed to be in starvation mode your muscle to fat ratio will drastically improve).

Having been through all of that (and now that I am trying to put on more muscle since I am weight lifting) here's my advice:
    * It sounds like you're already eating at least 1200 calories. That really great. hold onto that number for about a month to let your body get used to turning all that fuel into energy.
    * Use this tool to find out how many calories a person with a *normal* metabolism should be eating at your goal weight: http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/
    * Then add only about 100 calories to your diet every 2-3 weeks - this helps your body & mind adjust to the added calories and lets your metabolism catch up. Stop when you reach your goal weight's calorie intake and hold onto that for a month. See how your body reacts, still gaining weight? Stay there for a while longer. Stopped gaining weight? Maybe you're exercising more than you think, add another 100 calories.
    * Only add 1-2 pounds a month - you don't want to stress your body or your heart. The first pound or two might take a while, if you suddenly find that you gain 3-4 pounds very fast, don't worry it's all water weight and will disappear in a week. Adding 700 calories a week means that you should put on about 1-1.5 pounds a month, max.
    * It will take a long time for your brain to learn that you won't get fat on an extra 100 calories a day. So I will repeat **you will not get fat eating an extra 100 calories a day**. You will barely gain weight on 100 extra calories a day, especially with 20-30 minutes of light cardio or exercise a day. This is what you want.
    * Make sure to sleep. As "sleep when you're dead" kind of person this was the hardest for me. Sleep helps your metabolism function normally, your brain to be less depressed, and generally all around goodness. Read this as to why: http://breakingmuscle.com/health-medicine/how-sleep-deprivation-fries-your-hormones-your-immune-system-and-your-brain

At some point start playing around with your carb/fat/protein macro nutrient goals on MyFitnessPal (very easy if you're logging everything). It took a while of trial and error to find that I feel and perform my best at a 50% protein. 20% fat, 30% carb mix. I used to operate at 50/15/35, that 5% shift from carbs to fat made a *HUGE* difference in how I felt everyday. I'm not anal about it day to day, but I try to make sure that I mostly hit my targets each day and have been known to eat a spoonful of high quality olive oil or coconut oil right before bed if my fat macros aren't close to target for the day (my biggest issue).

Just a general tidbit, there's been a lot of research recently that has come out saying that it takes 3-4 days for your gut to adjust to changes in your diet. If you're making drastic changes, expect to feel like crap for those 3-4 days. A little better the next 2-3 and back to normal the next week. Your body may function a little differently but will likely follow a similar pattern. This could be part of your fatigue, though likely wouldn't explain all of it.

Good luck and feel free to ping back with questions, I'll try to pay attention to this forum to answer them.

Just remember, slow and steady wins the race. If you can, get professional help for the mental stuff. I had a nutritionist/wellness counselor and even with professional help and no eating disorder it was tough. I might also try to take 5 minutes each day for yourself. Try really focusing on all the things you like about yourself, stare at a pretty flower, count your breathing, recite all the reasons you love cat or Dr Who or running (I do this all the time, it's surprisingly refreshing). You'll think you're stupid for like two weeks but by the third week of doing this every day you will relish your 5 minutes alone with your brain.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    The posters before me had great bits of advice for you. :)

I would add be sure to drink your water to help keep the muscles hydrated. Also I didn't see any dairy (saw almond milk) so I'm not sure if you're lactose intolerant or not but if you aren't you could add a little dairy to your day. Beans will also add some calories to your day, a really nice bowl of chili will not only taste good it's got some very healthy ingredients to provide more fuel for your body.

You also said you stopped exercising which may have a little effect on your feeling fatigued so perhaps you could add light walking say a couple of 15 minute walks a day followed by a snack.

Good luck getting yourself back to a healthy place in life both physically and emotionally.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor suggest?
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Looks like there was some great advice already given. Thank you for sharing your story and taking a step in the right direction. If you setup your profile for weight gaining on MFP, it will give you a certain amount of cals to eat in order to achieve your goal. But take it slow, you're body may react to different foods as you reintroduce them into your system. 0.5 pound to a pound a month sounds like a reasonable goal to gaining weight. It will take you a while to recover but if you stick around here. You will learn how to eat without gaining excess loads of weight.

Set up a reasonable goal, stick to it and you'll be fine
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You really need to consult your professional on this, but I'm sure you need to be eating more than 1200 cals plus snacks. You don't say what the meals are or what the snacks are. It's far too little food for weight gain.

My suggestion is that you eat from all food groups:
    Meats, dairy (if not lactose intolerant), fish, grains, vegetables, fruit, fats/oils. Eat whatever you want, but vary it a lot. I doubt sitting and eating cake for every meal will benefit you in the long run because you don't just need weight, you need nutrients.

I recommend you make some meal plans up with foods you like to eat. Include all the groups. Take it to your registered dietician and/or doctor, or whichever professional is advising you. Ask them to help you balance it out. But more importantly, actually eat what the meal plan says.

Day 1 may look like this:

BF:
    2 eggs scrambled with cheese
    Pancakes/french toast with butter and syrup
    2 slices bacon/ham
    Piece of fruit (whatever you like)
    Glass of milk

SNK:
    Celery Sticks with Peanut Butter or
    Yogurt with Granola

LN:
    Wheat bread sandwich with cold cuts, cheese and veggies and all the condiments you like
    Soup (any kind you like)
    Chips and Guacamole
    Glass of milk

SNK:
    Handful of nuts
    Piece of fruit
    Tea with cream and honey

DNR:
    Stew with beef, potatoes, carrots, etc. (however you like it)
    Bread with butter
    Other veggies (any you like to eat)

DSRT:
    Piece of cake or cookies or brownie (whatever you like)

Don't restrict anything and eat until you are full. If you need to add more snacks, so be it. These are healthy foods, and all in moderation. You don't have to eat "junk" food to gain weight. Eat nutritious foods in abundance.

And again, if you are not seeing a professional or two to help you with this, do it.

Many wishes for full recovery and good health.

ETA: Drink water.
  • lyndseeyg
    Options
    thank you so much!!
  • lyndseeyg
    Options
    Wow!! So helpful, thank you!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I think there is really good advice here. My only caution is that calorie counting could possible feed into the obsessional side of low weight. If you are finding that to be true, try a switch to just doing healthy meal planning like above, with 3 meals and 2-3 snacks, each meal filling a dinner plate with at least 3 food groups. It is actually hard to put on weight so I would not worry about getting too many calories, as that is unlikely. If you really have trouble eating enough food you can also add 1-2 nutrition shakes for an easy 250-500 kcals. Also, it is OK and normal to be eating when you might not be hungry, over time that will start to get more normal. You will start to feel much better quickly as you gain weight.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:, and :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: