Working out with Curly Hair!

Options
I really need suggestions on hair maintenance and working out. I don't have a relaxer, so whenever I workout I sweat my "blowout" (hair straightened with a flat iron). It is a real pain! Any suggestions, tips, stories? My stylist told me to just workout with my hair down, but I just think that will be a disaster . . .

Replies

• twenora86
    Options
    Sorry, wish I could help. I have my hair natural and almost never blowdry it out. it is way easier to just keep it curly at all times so there are no worries when you're done working out
  • prencesskl
    Options
    i have very very curly hair, and always blow it out/iron it. And working out sucks because you always sweat into it, and leaving it down is more of a disaster. My b/f is working with a personal trainer who said he sees a lot of girls put sweatbands right at their hair line to absorb all the sweat so it doesn't get as bad. Worth a try...
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest a headband and pin it down so it won't slip, also you may try wrapping your hair up.
  • BreakOnThru
    BreakOnThru Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When you can't wash it after a workout, give it a quick blow dry, then finish with a waterless shampoo to freshen it up a bit. You can usually find these at any chain drugstore.
  • unckat09
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! These are all great suggestions.
  • Luckie712
    Options
    I have really thick, long annoying hair. When I first started working out, I wore it curly but I really get sick of washing it all the time. I sweat right through it when I got it straightened so that wouldn't work, and I don't have the patience to do it myself.

I finally got it put into microbraids, BEST decision ever! It doesn't sweat out and I can wash it without having to do anything extra to it!
  • wpij25
    wpij25 Posts: 161
    Options
    I have really thick, long annoying hair. When I first started working out, I wore it curly but I really get sick of washing it all the time. I sweat right through it when I got it straightened so that wouldn't work, and I don't have the patience to do it myself.

I finally got it put into microbraids, BEST decision ever! It doesn't sweat out and I can wash it without having to do anything extra to it!

*Best Tip Ever*
  • Cbyas
    Cbyas Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you wash with every workout? Right now I wash on the weekends.(wash deep condition), I'm thinking of adding a co wash in the middle of the week. I have natural hair I keep it braided, box braids no extensions. I should note I'm also trying to grow it.
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    i've found that wearing my hair in a curly style is a lot more forgiving than wearing it in a straight style... when it's straight it has to be so perfect... but when it's curly, it doesn't have to be & it can still look good! for example w/my hair curly, my roots can stand to get a little puffy & it's not noticeable... if it were straight, you'd def be able to tell...

i wear a sweat band when i work out & pin curl any long pieces... & @ night i use rods to curl my hair... on my sides (which are a lot shorter) i put styling foam on it & wrap a mesh head wrap thingy around it... in the a.m. i flat iron my sides (if necessary)!!
  • Helly86
    Helly86 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same, and don't want to b voice of doom but my hair suffers because I exercise so much :-( I tend to only wear it down and straight on special occasions! I wear it up with a sweatband to stop it going to wild and curly when I exercise. micro braids sounds good idea long term tho :-)
    Damn my Afro! X x x