Increasing calories in recovery

Options
I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for me about the refeeding process. I am waiting to find out about insurance for going IP, but right now am working with a nutritionist who told me to start eating 3000-3500 calories. About 2wks ago I really started to try a recovery meal plan after major restriction/ compulsive running. I got myself to 2000 cals, but have stalled. I am trying once again (about 10 days later) to make the jump to 3000-3500. I am really nervous I have messed upy metabolism more, and now jumping to 3000 will have an even greater (ie-much more rapid weight gain) effect. If I had gone straight to 3500 from what I was eating 2 weeks ago (like 800), would it have given my metabolism a much better boost or does it not matter so much going slow?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It won't make a difference... Refeeding is supposed to make you gain weight.
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Why not gradually increase calories? Since you are using a nutritionist, perhaps ask that person, if you haven't already.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in this "messed up metabolism" stuff. We evolved to deal with feasting/starving; we've never had regular meals continuously, so I don't think what you are doing is going to have any effect physically.

Now, psychologically perhaps...but I don't know anything about that.

You say you are worried that you will have "much more rapid weight gain", but I am assuming you are supposed to be eating more because you need to gain weight, so what's the big deal? You aren't going to put on 10 lbs overnight. It takes an EXCESS (over and above what your body is using) of about 3500 calories to gain one pound, so there is no way you are suddenly going to pack on too much weight for you to keep track of (although don't forget about water - read the very important sticky post on the nutrition and weight loss forum about "eating more than your cut" or something like that).

Up your calories, weigh yourself regularly, slow down your caloric intake as you approach your goal weight. then maintain. It's simple math. Don't let it seem more complicated than it is.
  • kmanzullo
    Options
    Your metabolism may be a little slow at the beginning of recovery however, that will change drastically! My outpatient nutritionist, who specializes in eating disorders, explained to me that a 400cal jump each week is really good for kick starting the metabolism. But when I was in the hospital, they had me on 3500-4000+ cals a day but they did their cal increases every couple days. When I went there I was doing around the same amount of cals as you so it took a bit to get up to that much. When your body gets used to having nutrients, it starts to suck them up quickly and you go into a hypermetabolic state. It's uncomfortable but some of they symptoms I had personally were major hot flashes and ravenous hunger all the time. There was a point I got stuck in a wheel chair upped in cals because I started losing weight on the 3500cal plan when I got to that state. Once you get to the "target weight" they give you then you can cut back quite a bit and you'll get a new plan. One thing, I would absolutely NOT go straight from 800 to over 2000 if you've been restricting for a long time. And if you're ok at 2000 then do smaller increases so you don't get refeeding syndrome. 3000 will make you gain weight very slightly more rapidly, it's honestly not going to make much of a difference. A lot of weight gain at first is from retaining water. Hang in there xo
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Just thought I would say since you are blessed with a dietitian (wish I had the money to see one again) why not ask her? She could give you better advice on how to get to the 3000.
  • skaterickets
    Options
    I don't believe in this "messed up metabolism" stuff. We evolved to deal with feasting/starving; we've never had regular meals continuously, so I don't think what you are doing is going to have any effect physically.

Now, psychologically perhaps...but I don't know anything about that.

You say you are worried that you will have "much more rapid weight gain", but I am assuming you are supposed to be eating more because you need to gain weight, so what's the big deal? You aren't going to put on 10 lbs overnight. It takes an EXCESS (over and above what your body is using) of about 3500 calories to gain one pound, so there is no way you are suddenly going to pack on too much weight for you to keep track of (although don't forget about water - read the very important sticky post on the nutrition and weight loss forum about "eating more than your cut" or something like that).

Up your calories, weigh yourself regularly, slow down your caloric intake as you approach your goal weight. then maintain. It's simple math. Don't let it seem more complicated than it is.

A "messed up metabolism" is very real, there are many studies to support it, including the Minnesota starvation study which found decreases of up to 40% in metabolism. It is only makes sense evolutionary as well, if you're starving, the best thing the body could do is slow it's metabolism as to slow the starvation process itself.

I agree with everything else though, the point to recovery is one that a) is slowly progressive and b)is best in terms of recomposition--your putting on a good ratio of muscle to fat.
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    The one thing I'm going to tell you is do not focus on numbers. It's possible that you got into the position you're at because of obsession with numbers and quantity. I found that I had when I had problems several years ago that was the biggest battle - you need to start telling yourself the numbers don't matter and don't focus on them.

Is there someone else who is close to you that you live with that can moderate your food intake? If you don't know how much you are eating, it is likely to take off some of the strain and worry. If you can do this, ask them to do all the calorie counting for you every day, and if you haven't had enough they can nudge you towards eating more.

I know this doesn't explicitly answer your question, but the one thing you need to worry about is recovering, not how you do it and how much you're eating - if you have any real worries about how to go about it drop your nutritionist a line.
  • Dm1585
    Dm1585 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses! I know I am very fortunate to have a dietician and will be asking her these questions as well. However, because of financial reasons I don't meet with her as often as I need too. I posted my questions on here, as it will be a few weeks before I see her again and they were really causing some anxiety. I know that logically it doesn't matter as long as I gain the weight...it's just that I'd really like to do that AND repair my metabolism. I'm worried now that because I'm increasing so slowly, it won't have the same "jumpstarting" effect on my metabolism. Again, I know that is mostly just ED thoughts...but it would be reassuring to hear from others that have gone through refeeding and had some thoughts on increasing slowly vs. quickly. All of your responses have had and I am very grateful, so thank you again!!!