This is where you report for generalised tantrums, yes?

Options
Somebody once said in one of those cheesy gifs that you never regret going to work out and they were wrong. Ugh.

Finished work at 5, my mum phoned right when I finished to say 'hey I'm in town, I'll come round', I said I was going to go to the gym so we went for coffee instead... left me 5 mins to get in the house, feed the cat and get changed before walking over... achy legs walking the 10 mins to the leisure centre which weirdly happens when I'm stressed. The plan was to go to a class and then the gym. The class was in the dance studio with all these floor to ceiling mirrors, I'm there in these awful grey tracksuit bottoms that made me look huge... it was oversubscribed so tight for space and I had to use bigger weights than before. So I'm in there, convinced I'm the fattest person there, convinced the girl behind is staring at my fat *kitten* and noticing my hair getting wilder and wilder due to sweat... all these skinny girls with glossy ponytails and beautifully coordinated sports gear moving smoothly through the movements while I'm losing my balance...

So I finish up in there and move into the gym, where it's pretty quiet, the usual state of guys on the machines and girls on the treadmills. I'm feeling super self-conscious where I haven't before, took a sneezing fit on the rower, had to give up on the lat machine during the second set (I've managed that weight before so I don't know what was wrong). Went to use another machine, a guy was using dumbbells quite close to it so I asked if it was okay if I used it... he said something, I don't even know what he said but I took it as snark and it just tripped something... I finished my sets on that machine and just got the hell out about half way through my planned routine.

____

Hit the 'post' button by mistake, adding on to my wonderfully upbeat mood. Augh.

Anyway, I suspect I need a sound *kitten*-kicking so any volunteers, please feel free.

Replies

• Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    "Reasons working out is hard #1, days like this!"
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    And yet, despite all that, you did it anyway. Well done. You need a crappy workout once in a while to remind you how awesome it is when they go well.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Ok, that sucks, I've totally had days like that - pretty sure most of us have - so you're not alone. I even had that same pair iof sweatpants and didn't even realize how horribly huge they made me look until I took one of those classes with the full length mirrors. EEK!!

BUT, guess what?! You did it! You even used heavier weights than normal - that had to feel good, right?! And you'll get back there tomorrow or the next day and try all over again. Put the past in the past and go buy yourself some cute new workout pants!
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I have days like this even if a gym wasn't involved.

Sometimes it feels like the world is out to get you, sometimes it feels like we own the world. Keep going, you'll be okay and a better person for it.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I recently had one of those days, uggggh. By the end I think I just started laughing and left earlier than normal. Next time will be better :-)
  • Speckgreen1
    Speckgreen1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Your post is too funny! I actually laughed and the dogs heard the laughter so I guess that's a LOL. At any rate, I can completely identify with about every thing you said.
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    That sucks. I hate days like that. But it's nice to know that they don't just happen to me, they happen to everybody! You went to the gym, which was more then most people sitting on the couch eating a pizza did (if that's what anyone here did last night, VERY jealous of you!) and you did something. That's what I tell myself on days like today. I broke a sweat. Why would I feel bad for being overweight and being at the gym with all those perfect looking skinny girls? I'm the one that needs the gym more then they do! :)

Chin up, you're doing awesome. Vent about last night then go back to the gym tonight and kick butt.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think you need an *kitten*-kicking, sounds like you powered through well enough. Better than not going at all.

Also, get out of the baggy sweats and get yourself some colorful, cute workout clothes, too! You deserve it! I cringe when I think of what I USED to wear when I first went to the gym. Now I purposely wear nice looking, nice fitting gym-wear. Makes me feel better.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    This is why I like to work out at 5am. Nobody is around to care about clothes and you can get your workout in before any of this stuff has a chance to happen.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think you need an *kitten*-kicking, sounds like you powered through well enough. Better than not going at all.

Also, get out of the baggy sweats and get yourself some colorful, cute workout clothes, too! You deserve it! I cringe when I think of what I USED to wear when I first went to the gym. Now I purposely wear nice looking, nice fitting gym-wear. Makes me feel better.

This.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You don't need an *kitten*-kicking!

This is the perfect reason why I try to look my best when I work out. For some reason, what I wear and how I present myself is a mood changer for me, and I work out at home!

I work out in makeup, cute gym clothes, and pretty sneakers. IDGAF. :drinker:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I love most days at the gym, but every now and then I have a terrible one. This dude who was curling and bench pressing in the squat rack almost sent me over the edge and straight into a rampage the other day. This annoys everyone, but I was way too upset about it and allowing it to ruin my day. I now suspect that it was PMS, and I was just being crazy. My point is that these things happen, and it will get better. :flowerforyou:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    It's just a bad day for you.

Tomorrow will be a new day.
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hot shower and a camomile tea later, I've had a complete fridge-logic moment.

I complained about having to use heavier weights during the class.

I then complained about arm/shoulder fatigue while using the machines afterwards.

Apparently, I'm not Sherlock today. *eyeroll*

Right, if anyone is looking for me, I'll be on eBay taking your collective advice to shop.... because advice to shop is always good advice. ^_~

Thanks all of you, I appreciate it.