I stopped losing weight, I'm stuck! :(

Options
2»

Replies

• aligatorwww
    aligatorwww Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Try adding some resistance exercises along with all the walking. Squats, Planks, kettlebell swings, lunges, one arm dumbell overhead presses, pushups, leg lifts, etc. Go heavier with your weights as you go. Your body is getting used to all the walking and now you have to change it up and freak it out by using more and different muscles.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Your exactly right. I just need to be patient because I know I'm doing the right things. Just going to keep going. I don't care if I lose 2 lbs just SOMETHING lol

Seriously, buy yourself a food scale. It's the most useful kitchen tool you can own, especially if you are preparing a lot of your food yourself. I got an OXO brand one from Target for about $17 two years ago, and I haven't looked back.

Also, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1296011-calorie-counting-101
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    like with weight training progressive overload is how you get stronger and burn more calories at rest. Same goes for cardio especially slow steady. If you are doing the same workout over and over there is no way it will burn as many calories as it did on that very first workout.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    measuring cups. I do not own a food scale. Where can I buy one?

you can buy a food scale almost anywhere. walmart, target, bed bath & beyond. you can go cheap (i did and it works just fine) or you can go fancy just depends on your needs. weighing food is much better than measuring cups. you'll get more accurate amounts by weighing. good luck.
  • kanona_42
    Options
    The biggest thing that I've found with getting stuck is not changing up your exercise. If you've hit a plateau, try changing up your treadmill walk to a faster speed or add some incline. If you can't add incline, add some arm weights (even a couple of large cans of soup or full water bottles, if you don't have 3-5 lb dumbbells) and do overhead presses, bicep curls, and raise your arms out in front of you and out to the sides (flies). It may be enough to convince your body you're still working out and burning calories. What's most likely happened is that your body now sees what you've been doing as the new normal, so it needs a challenge. Consider adding some short spurts of running (30 seconds at a time, here and there throughout your walk), that may help as well.

Good luck and best wishes!
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    i burn 500 calories with my workouts sometimes 600

are you eating back some of your calories? based on your previous msg about it being difficult to eat 1300 calories a day and some days you were eating only 1100 calories, you might be putting stress on your body. You should be eating back 1/2 of your exercise calories along with getting in your basic caloric needs (1300) - yes a heart rate monitor will help with getting a true measurement of calories burned.

Perhaps you start adding in some basic exercises to help build muscle along with the walking you're already doing (squats, modified push-ups, lunges, shoulder press, etc.). This will help develop muscles so that when you've lost weight, there's some muscles there. It will also help increase your BMR so you burn more calories even when you're doing nothing. Make sure you're eating enough protein as well to maintain those muscles. MFP sets our protein requirements too low IMO.

Great job on your losses so far but you'll need to mix it up to continue with the losses you've had already!! Good luck :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

are you eating back some of your calories? based on your previous msg about it being difficult to eat 1300 calories a day and some days you were eating only 1100 calories, you might be putting stress on your body. You should be eating back 1/2 of your exercise calories along with getting in your basic caloric needs (1300) - yes a heart rate monitor will help with getting a{b] true measurement of calories burned. [/b]

Perhaps you start adding in some basic exercises to help build muscle along with the walking you're already doing (squats, modified push-ups, lunges, shoulder press, etc.). This will help develop muscles so that when you've lost weight, there's some muscles there. It will also help increase your BMR so you burn more calories even when you're doing nothing. Make sure you're eating enough protein as well to maintain those muscles. MFP sets our protein requirements too low IMO.

Great job on your losses so far but you'll need to mix it up to continue with the losses you've had already!! Good luck :)

How true is a heart rate monitor when you cannot put in body fat % and lean body mass?
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. It's a process and not a quick thing. Actually the slower you lose weight, the more likely you are to keep it off.

If you want to rev it back up, switch up your routine a bit and shock your body. Ride a bike, lift some weights. For no reason at all in the middle of the day, quick do some burpees! Or some jumping jacks. Sometimes I'll put on some loud music and dance for 20 minutes or so.
  • Julibug86
    Julibug86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I'm by no means an expert, but I don't think you'd burn that many calories just with an hour of walking (even at a fast pace). Are you doing something else in addition? I'm not the best at tracking my food and exercise correctly (although I'm working on it! who knew that curry powder had calories in it?) and it can be so easy to accidentally over estimate calories burned and under estimate calories consumed.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You're eating at least 2000 calories a day to not be losing at 260 pounds.

Try(log) harder,
  • rachelkrueger11
    rachelkrueger11 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What if you only lose 4 lbs by the end of the month. So what, are you not gonna be invited to some awesome "I lost 5 lbs, you didn't!" party? No.

love it! lol.