Old school vs New school

Options
mrfreestyle
mrfreestyle Posts: 1,293 Member
Which do you prefer? In music that is. Any genre.

Since I'm a hip hop guy, I prefer old school hip hop. Quality is top notch. Old school rappers are legendary!

There's a few good joints coming out today but most new school stuff, in my opinion is for most part, crap.

Thoughts?

Replies

• boombang81
    Options
    Definitely old school
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    It's kind of hard to say. I like a lot of stuff that would be considered old school, but there's a LOT of very recent music I love as well.

For me though it's hard to do better than Joy Division, early Cure or Pixies, the Smiths, and other "alternative music" from say, 1980-1991.

The era of modern music I'm least impressed by is most of the 90's. I think music today is way better (yes, a huge generalization). I was in high school during grunge and gangsta rap and while I still smile when I hear Dr. Dre or Nirvana I think a lot of that era's music is pretty crap.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I used to be a real clubber, old skool house music for me, all the way! The old keeps getting remixed over and over but never gets better than the original stuff!
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Old school baby. Besides J. Cole, I don't care for other new school hip hop artists. In fact, don't really care for any new genre of music because bands have kind of become extinct. We can thank dopey shows like American Idol for that.
  • mrfreestyle
    mrfreestyle Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    It's kind of hard to say. I like a lot of stuff that would be considered old school, but there's a LOT of very recent music I love as well.

For me though it's hard to do better than Joy Division, early Cure or Pixies, the Smiths, and other "alternative music" from say, 1980-1991.

The era of modern music I'm least impressed by is most of the 90's. I think music today is way better (yes, a huge generalization). I was in high school during grunge and gangsta rap and while I still smile when I hear Dr. Dre or Nirvana I think a lot of that era's music is pretty crap.

Actually, on the contrary, at least with hip hop, the 90s was the best era. A lot of top notch material came out during that time. The 80s was great, but I'd say it was more a foundation that on which 90s rap got the opportunity to flourish. I often like to think of the 90s as the golden era of rap music. But then I was a teenager in the mid and late 90s so I was really feeling rap music at the time. Most rap that's coming out today is nothing but junk in my opinion. There are a few good joints like Talib Kweli, Kooley High and Clear Soul Forces but those are exceptions.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    HATE RAP! Give me tech trance, and italo-dance.
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Aprilfoolbride Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    For me, old school is the only school.

The other day I was telling someone about Who's the Man? A 90's hip-hop whodunit loaded with cameos. The plot is thin but it's great nevertheless. Stars Ed Lover and Dr. Dre (of YO! MTV Raps).
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

Old school.

The Beastie Boys are by far my favorite. I love their newer stuff, but nothing compares to their old stuff.

Also - I effing LOVE 90's music!

Gimme some Alice in Chains, STP, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Live, Counting Crows, Nirvana, also, don't forget the epic rap that came out of that time, including Biggie, Tupac, Jay Z, Method Man....and the list just goes on!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Old School... some of the new school stuff is OK, but prefer my 80's & 90's
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Define...I'd consider mongolian throat signing folk music or digeriadoo (spelling?) to be old and I enjoy that, but i do enjoy some of the latest artists
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have to go with the originals when it comes to Hip-Hop. Kurtis Blow, Ice T, Run DMC, Kool Moe Dee, LL Cool J, Boogie Down Productions, Public Enemy, Eric B & Rakim, and Africa Bambataa. I lost interest when people like Vanilla Ice and Puff Daddy just talked over other artist's records. It's ironic that Hip-Hop started as an alternative to the gang lifestyle and gangsta rap became one of the most popular genres.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

Old school.

The Beastie Boys are by far my favorite. I love their newer stuff, but nothing compares to their old stuff.

Gimme some Alice in Chains, STP, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Live, Counting Crows, Nirvana, also, don't forget the epic rap that came out of that time, including Biggie, Tupac, Jay Z, Method Man....and the list just goes on!

Clearly I'm alone in my tastes, haha. I love Beastie Boys, and I do like Smashing Pumpkins first couple of albums but all the rest of those ugh
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I love reggae and I have to say I enjoy both old school reggae and all the new dancehall tunes
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I like a lot of music, but I think I would go with Old School.

12883938_ori.png
    2056_1397685538.png
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

Old school.

Clearly I'm alone in my tastes, haha. I love Beastie Boys, and I do like Smashing Pumpkins first couple of albums but all the rest of those ugh

Lol, not at all! I just had to stand up for the decade you were bashing! :flowerforyou:
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    For R&B, it has to be old school.
    For Country, new school.
    Rap = old school
    Funk.. well, that's tough because we have Parlament and we have The Time....
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I like a lot of music, but I think I would go with Old School.

12883938_ori.png
    2056_1397685538.png

Yup
  • LouisianaHotSauce_93
    LouisianaHotSauce_93 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I can't even choose.
    I'm musically bipolar.
    I love all music.. All the time.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I can't even choose.
    I'm musically bipolar.
    I love all music.. All the time.

^^This

Currently into horns - Tower of Power. Blood Sweat and Tears, etc...