Sugar, WOW!

Options
WOW! I am amazed at how much sugar can be found in a single apple. I knew they had some but, I never knew that much. 1 med gala apple has 16 mg of sugar?

Do you have any foods that have surprised you on their numbers, be it sugar, carbs, fats, etc... ?

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    sodium in EVERYTHING.....how much and just the fact that it's even there. Also carbs......wow...those add up quick.
  • prencesskl
    Options
    I just started on Tuesday, but I have been amazed at how much sugar and sodium is in everything! it's crazy!
  • tsb50158
    tsb50158 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Carbs are sugar for the most part, your body turns it into glucose, be it table sugar or pasta.
    Try reading about the Glycemic index. Some very interesting info there.
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    Sodium.......I can't believe how much they put in food!!! I have been over my limit I think every day since I started last week. I was plugging in my meal for tonight which includes 1/2 cup of Campbell's Tomato Bisque and it has 880 mg!!!!! I originally had planned to eat a cup, but not after seeing that. I do notice that my intake is better on days that I don't have any processed food, but it's hard to avoid sometimes. I am definitely going to pay more attention and buy more lower sodium items.
  • 2Young4This
    2Young4This Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I ate a pear once and then added it on here and was amazed at the sugar in it. Fruit in general has surprised me - but I love fruit so I don't worry too much about it!
  • ErinJ1981
    Options
    I posted this exact topic earlier today. I try to stay away from the refine sugars, but it's still discouraging to see how much sugar and carbs are in fruit and milk. My 2 fav things! =(
  • suecq09
    suecq09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic about 2 years ago. My first grocery trip took 3 hours. I was reading labels constantly.

One tip - don't get Fat Free anything! Choose the reduced fat option. It'll give you the best mix over all. When you remove fat, you still need flavor - so most companies add sugar. You get a better mix of lower carbs, lower fat and lower calories with a reduced fat vs nonfat item.

This to me was a big shock

About your apple, keep in mind that apples will have a lot of sugar, but if you eat the apple you get the fiber too...so if it contains more than 5 grams of fiber, you are gaining by eating the apple. Its usually best to eat the fruit and avoide fruit juice, as you lose the fiber that helps with the carb counts.

Just a few things I've learned =)
  • efahey
    efahey Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic about 2 years ago. My first grocery trip took 3 hours. I was reading labels constantly.

One tip - don't get Fat Free anything! Choose the reduced fat option. It'll give you the best mix over all. When you remove fat, you still need flavor - so most companies add sugar. You get a better mix of lower carbs, lower fat and lower calories with a reduced fat vs nonfat item.

About your apple, keep in mind that apples will have a lot of sugar, but if you eat the apple you get the fiber too...so if it contains more than 5 grams of fiber, you are gaining by eating the apple. Its usually best to eat the fruit and avoide fruit juice, as you lose the fiber that helps with the carb counts.

great post! the tip to choose reduced fat over fat free was particularly helpful... thanks!

xo erin
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    I just came across some good info on sodium:

http://www.uhs.wisc.edu/docs/uwhealth_sodium_180.pdf
  • DoubleO7
    Options
    When it comes to fruit and there sugars, yes it can be high but the importance of fruits it’s the fiber that’s in it! Fibers are important nutrients for us because of the following reasons:
    Fiber controls overeating. It also neutralizes blood-sugar level (check on the glycemic Index for the best foods to eat that are not high in sugar). It control fat absorption in the body (this is also imp with the GI)

It’s important for people who want to burn fat or lose weight. The top five fruits having maximum fiber content are: Apple, fig, blackberries, pear and banana are top five fruits rich in fiber.
    So with that said… Enjoy your fruits :flowerforyou:

Cheers!! :drinker:
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options

Isn't it amazing the things you learn about diet and nutrition when you become a diabetic? If only we had known all of this stuff before! :)
  • borys12
    borys12 Posts: 98
    Options
    Exactly about sugar in zero fat products. I always read nutrition and in fact never buy zero fat, i turns to even 10 - 15 % sugar :).
    About sodium , I eat usually 1 gram per day.