Is my salad unhealthy?

Options
I'm brand spanking new and really know nothing about proper diet. I mean,have an idea BUT when I see a big -13 for my daily fat consumption it throws me off and maybe I'm not eating as healthy as I thought I was? I don't even want to eat anymore today because of that -13!! Today is my first day logging and I really want to start off on the right track so I would like some advice seeing as how I don't know what I'm doing. Was my salad at lunch healthy ?! If it wasn't I'm not surprised because it was delicious! lol Any advice would be great! Thank you everyone!

oh, I am insulin resistant, I don't know if that matters...

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    You're doing fine. Just get some carbs and protein for dinner and carry on.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    As above, just mainly concentrate on the calories
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Personally I treat MFP's recommendations as minimums for fat and protein as they are set quite low.
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Your salad is fine. I would worry that if you are finished for the day that your calories are so low. Try to get as close as possible to the calories even if you are over by a small number. Once you have that under control you can focus on your macros.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Don't fear the red and green numbers!

Calories are what matter for weight loss, but even going over slightly on that number isn't always a setback. If your calories are in the correct range you will lose weight (assuming no medical issues).

Macros (carbs/fat/protein) help with things like body composition, hunger and health. For instance, fats help with healthy skin and nails, hormone control, and they help keep you fuller longer.

Going over on any of your macros won't hinder your weight loss (medical issues not-withstanding, of course). And a lot of us choose to customize those numbers anyway.

Unless you have a medical reason to avoid fats, then a -13 won't make any difference.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor. They can recommend foods to avoid and tell you if you should be low fat or whatever. They may even refer you to a nutritionist.

Your doctor knows best!!
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Is the lettuce still green and crisp, or has it gone all brown and wilty?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor. They can recommend foods to avoid and tell you if you should be low fat or whatever. They may even refer you to a nutritionist.

Your doctor knows best!!

Doctors usually know very little about nutrition. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. If you want actual advice find a registered dietician, and even then there's good and bad.

The salad sounds pretty yummy!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    No foods are unhealthy, if eaten in moderate portions. Even fried croutons or pepperoni (see below)
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    It depends on what's in your salad. :flowerforyou:

As long as you stay away from processed ingredients you should be fine. No fried croutons, pepperoni, etc.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

As long as you stay away from processed ingredients you should be fine. No fried croutons, pepperoni, etc.

Those things can help make a salad healthy.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I think it looks good! You could've added a hard boiled egg, too.

ETA this. It's really helpful for learning how to fill out your diary. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

She will be fine even if she doesn't stay away from processed ingredients.

Nobody tells me I can't eat pepperoni anytime I want.

:flowerforyou:
  • mspianomistress
    Options
    -13 for fat isn't bad at all. I usually just ignore those numbers, in all honesty. I personally pay more attention to my carb number because I had gestational diabetes, so that puts me at a higher risk for diabetes. I agree with what other posters have said. If your diary is complete for the day, you haven't eaten enough. It's important to eat enough, or your body will slow down your metabolism to compensate.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The salad looks fine. A lot of your fat is from eggs and almonds, which are great foods to include as part of your diet, too.

MFP has certain macro levels that are fine, but there is a wide range of healthy macro levels that you will probably eventually want to adjust for your personal goals. Rather than making everything too complicated and difficult at the beginning, I would recommend just getting used to logging and hitting your calorie goal for a while. After you do that, you can go back and see where you were each week on your macros and if you are significantly over or under the MFP recommended default on some of them you can think about whether it matters to you and if so how to fix it.

For example, after doing this for a bit I found that I felt better and more satiated when I ate more protein, and researched recommended protein levels for people dieting and exercising and decided that I wanted to up my protein to 105 grams (30% of my calorie goal before I add any exercise calories, and also my estimated lean body mass). Once I did that, I saw that I was routinely falling short, so I changed my diet around a little to increase my protein.

No need to do that kind of thing at the beginning, though. You aren't going to be able to hit your macros perfectly most of the time, and you aren't supposed to stay under all of them, so instead maybe use them to help make decisions about what to eat. Like now you can focus on protein for dinner. But really that you are over on fat and under on carbs is no reason to be bothered. Lots of people intentionally eat fewer carbs and more fat because they feel fuller. The typical source of your fat matters more, and it seems fine.
  • KyleBonsorPT
    Options
    My best advice would be to carb control, maintain low refined carbs in small portions throughout the day to maintain your blood sugars. Don't have too much of an emphasis on fats, as long as they are good fats in moderation (Walnut Oil / Nuts etc) you will be fine, ramp up your protein intake to keep you full and help you recovery post-workout. My favourite advice is Eggs for Breakfast!

Education,Education, Education.

The better you education yourself in Nutrition, the more enjoyment and understanding you will have on your journey!

Kyle Bonsor PT
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Your salad looks delicious and pretty nutritious. If you want suggestions to make it a little lower in calories, you could try using less dressing or a lighter one..but if you love that dressing, just know it's relatively high in calories and plan accordingly.

And please eat dinner.
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would say the salad looks fine. May want to try a low fat version, if it bothers you. Says there was 18 grams of fat in that. Just a thought. Oh...and eat breakfast too! And please eat more than 2 eggs for dinner! You need to eat, sweetie!
  • CocoBeans8
    Options
    Thank you for all of your replies!! Very very helpful!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much bout the fat as getting enough calories. You want to find something thats sustainable longterm.