Potatoes potatoes, wtf do i do with them?

Options

Replies

• SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I like them grilled. If they're large, slice them about 1/4" thick, par boil, coat lightly with olive oil, season, and grill. If they're small, I boil them whole then toss with olive oil, rosemary, parsley, salt, and pepper and grill whole until the skin is crisp.

I also like Parmesan smashed potatoes. With small potatoes, boil them whole, drain, remove and let cool slightly. After they're cooled somewhat, place them on a greased baking sheet and smash them to about 1/4" thickness with the heel of your hand (put a folded kitchen towel between your hand and the potato). Then, drizzle with olive oil, season, and top with shredded Parmesan. Bake in the oven set at 375 until golden brown and crispy.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are great! Try Potato Dauphinoise (loads of recipes online) You don't need cream if you don't have any - milk will do. Just remember to slice the potatoes nice and thin. Lush beyond belief.
  • EastFork
    EastFork Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Potatoes have a high glycemic index. If that doesn't concern you, eat all the potatoes you want.
  • tennisgirl444
    tennisgirl444 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just ate red potatoes tonight!

I cut them up, put them in a microwave-safe container, put some olive oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary on them, and microwaved them for 10 minutes. Finished them on the stove to get them a bit crispy. Made two eggs, stuck the potatoes and eggs in a bowl, broke the yolks, and voila- eggs and potato dinner!

Great source of potassium :-D
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Potato (Head) Salad
    potato_head.jpg
  • wolf_tickets
    wolf_tickets Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Recently learned about Cunningham's law: "The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer."

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cunningham's_Law
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    so i have a bunch of potatoes left over from the weekend, and i dont know what to do with them
    i make some of the best mash potatoes but im burned out on those so how do you make them?>?

potatoes-sam1.jpg
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    in for potato ideas!

Love me some potatoes! yum
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options

potatoes-sam1.jpg

Dah! You beat me to it! Won't stop me from reposting, tho.

d49cc0beceafd702d776539b4a2fab49.jpg
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Perfect potato soup.. Winner every time...

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/absolutely-ultimate-potato-soup/
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are my fave! They're a staple in my everyday diet and are one of the most filling things - which is why I like to eat them often. They last forever, so just hold on to them. I don't think you really need to worry about getting rid of them anytime soon - they're not going to go bad in your pantry for a looong time.

Some things I like to make with potatoes [I buy smallish Russet potatoes]:

Single serve potato salad with one or two potatoes, one hard boiled egg, one pickle, a little bit of onion, low fat mayo & mustard.

A baked potato with some I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray & greek yogurt ranch.

Fried potatoes. Even if I use normal, high calorie margarine to fry them in, one potato in a half tablespoon of margarine is around 200 calories. Last time I had fried potatoes, I had them with smoked turkey sausage, & it was so good!
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Cut potatoes in 2inch dice and sprinkle with olive oil salt and pepper.. Roast in oven for 30 min or until tender inside and browned on outside. You can add carrots too.
  • peaceful_minion
    peaceful_minion Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    REAL sour cream (or greek yogurt) and chive potatoes. Chop em to bite size pieces, steam them and add equal parts sour cream and butter (doesnt take much, just enough to barely coat them). Salt to taste and add a boatload of fresh snipped or freeze dried chives. Nom nom nom.

Or make potato pancakes...
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are not good carbs.....make that salad and only eat half of it. Then buy sweet potatoes!

What a crock of ****!
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Yay for potato love!
    Recently learned about Cunningham's law: "The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer."

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cunningham's_Law

So very true!
  • Raaynn
    Raaynn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    treat potatoes like a dessert but that is exactly the way your body will handle a potato. Moderation is key with them if you are trying to lose weight. keep it to a half cup or under per meal if you must have them . potatos are full of potassium , if you eat the skin. Ice cream is full of calcium but that doesn't mean you should eat a ton of it to get your calcium. you can get potassium from tons of other things that wont help you pack on the lbs. potatoes mean nothing to extremely active people who use those carbs fast. those people can probably also eat an extra large portion of mcdonalds French fries everyday and not gain a single pound. lightly active and sedentary people that are actively trying to lose should really limit potatoes. I love it how all these super active gym nutz are consistently pushing the carb heavy foods on people who are not extremely active. eating those foods are how most of us ballooned up to the weight we are.
  • Raaynn
    Raaynn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are not good carbs.....make that salad and only eat half of it. Then buy sweet potatoes!

sorry you are getting so much flack on this thread. not everything you dig out of the ground is good for massive consumption. it appears we are in the minority here on the value of the " potato". lol
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Ha ha!

Thanks for that... needed a good laugh!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

I beg to differ.

Potatoes are delicious carbs.

Sweet potatoes... gag. What sorcery is this?

On a serious note..
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/barbecue-stuffed-potatoes-10000001896091/
    http://blommi.com/homefried-kielbasa-and-potatoes-recipe/#_a5y_p=1561689
    http://www.lovefoodies.com/spiced---oven-baked-potatoes--baby-carrots.html#.U70JM_mSzhT

You're welcome.

I, also, like to put them in my eggs (scrambled).

Potatoes are not inherently evil. Like all things, moderation is key.