Snacking

Options
Don't know about anyone else, I'm doing really good when I'm away from home--I don't snack, I don't eat junk food, I hardly drink sodas. But when I'm at home, it's a different story; I can't control myself from unhealthy snacking. Need help with control of my bad snacking, any ideas?

Replies

• mbrownks77
    Options
    Bump! I have the same problem.....
  • bcastellaw
    Options
    laughing cow and the jolly green giant single serving veggies!! hot and cheesy! what we all want in a snack. I'm going to watch this post and check out the other ideas!
  • rosita76
    Options
    I always chug a huge glass of cold water first....then grab either a fruit/jello with extra whipped cream if im craving sweets or pickles with tuna if Im craving something salty. The Baked Lays chips are better tasting now, so that might be something you could snack on. I keep 100 calorie snack boxes on hand for those munchies that I need. Hope that helps!
  • suecq09
    suecq09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Find good healthy snacks, and make sure that you have them preportioned and on hand. I keep nuts, cheese and fruit available. Build snacks into your daily meal plan - and this should curb that craving at home. Its about breaking a long standing habit. I had the same problem, but I keep a pack of gum on my person to assist with that. When I have the desire to put something in my mouth - I pop a piece of gum. It helps - and keeps the calores low. Try the extra desserts gum - really satisfying.
  • zaizix
    zaizix Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't buy junk!!
    It's too easy to go back to eating junk if its there... if its not there in the first place you cant eat it :)
    Fill your fridge with yoghurts etc and your cupboards with nuts and seeds or even peanut butter!!
    You can do it if you remove the temptation :) x
  • Sohnsearae
    Options
    I cleared out my pantry, and then stocked it with fruit cups, 100 calorie popcorn bags, beef jerky, rice cakes, and some 100 calorie box sweets. I also bought 60 calorie fudge bars for my freezer for when I get that cold sweet tooth. =o)
  • beastlye
    Options
    I understand how you feel....home should be nice, relaxing place where you can recharge and feel your best! I feel so guilty about my self-sabotage at home. Keep a hobby on hand (I like to crochet), and definitely get your family on board! Social support is a major component to successful behavior change :).
  • katiecyoung
    Options
    We don't keep junk in the house. Only for our 2 year old. Sometimes I find myself wanting to eat his snacks so I have gotten him healthier snacks too which is good for him! Also, I keep crunchy easy foods on hand. I love raw sugar snap peas...they are so sweet and crunchy. Another yummy lower calorie snack is Special K cereals...they have some good flavors that really fill you up. Anytime I WOULD have gone to the cabinet to get an unhealthy snack but resisted, I put a smiley face in my notes for the day and drink a big cold glass of water. Its really satisfying to do that!
  • jillcaudill
    jillcaudill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My favorites are almonds, clementines, and skinny cow ice cream sandwiches. But I agree with the above... if you can get rid of the bad stuff in your kitchen. I know its harder if you have non-dieters in your household.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    That's where I tend to mess up, too. It would be great to get the entire family on board, but I know mine feels like they deserve to have real potato chips, chocolate and ice cream around since they don't have this weight problem. Why should they have to suffer (with only having healthy food around the house) because I have a self control problem? (That's what I hear all the time) So, I just have them hide the chips and candy and when they remember to do that, it's out of sight, out of mind for me...

PS No, there's no convincing my husband that it would be good for him to eat healthy as well. He is a healthy weight and to him that says he doesn't need to change anything...
  • fancyladymeek
    Options
    Exercise is really your friend. I do a 1200 calorie diet, but each day I aim to burn 500 calories exercising, which means I then get to eat 1700 calories.

Plan out your day so you can fit in snacks when you think you'll desire them. Low cal doesn't have to mean low volume.

Veggies are almost completely free. Keep to a fat free or light dressing and load up on those veggies! Each day I eat cups and cups of cauliflower, celery, carrots, broccoli, and cucumber.

100 cal snack packs are a real blessing. Hostess even makes 100 cal chocolate, vanilla, carrot, or strawberry cakes which are just so good!

What part of the snack are you really craving? Sweet? Crunchy? Savory? Figure out what you really want and think of some healthy alternatives.....

Sweet - 100 cal pack. Crunchy - hard to get crunchier than celery! Savory? Cheese stick (like a 60 calorie, light string cheese). Chips? Quaker Oats makes these amazing fiber crisps (blueberry is my fav) that are just like chips minus the guilt!

If you snack, do it with something that will be totally amazing to you. One of my favorite foods is cheese, and so when I eat cheese, I eat the fully-loaded, fat packed stuff. But I eat one pre-packaged stick (90 cals, 8 grams of fat) and ooooooo boy do I enjoy it! Then when I'm done, I don't need anything else because I just ate what I really wanted.

If you know you may binge or overeat on something, don't keep it in the house. If you really want it, plan the entire day out so you know how you can fit that food in - yesterday, I had burger king for lunch but I didn't go above my calorie goal (did go a few above my fat goal, but it all averages out!).
  • everyoung
    everyoung Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    love all those ideas and will try to get the family on the same boat with me. My husband can eat anything but still thin, to him nothing is unhealthy. I tried to not eat at home at all at one point and lost a lot weight but when the holidays came, I lost track of everything, the weight started to put back on...........
  • green33084
    green33084 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    tell him health isnt just about weight, and dieting. LOL
  • chrislnicholson
    Options
    try the 100 cal popcorn bags, they rule!! And there is plenty of popcorn there too so you think you are kicking yourself a goal by going nuts on your snack but your not.
  • bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I recently purged my pantry and frig. So, the only snacks I have are healthy. I find it helps a great deal. Along with chugging H2O.