At the gym and I got the look.....really??

Options
So I am hitting the gym during my lunchbreaks because it's conveniently walking distance from my office and doesn't interrupt my time with my 1yr old son (working on the baby weight!). I am there at least 3 times a week on usually the same days. It's a gym, we are all there for the same reason, right?

Well after my workouts, I like to treat myself to the steam room as a bonus for working out. I am lucky enough that there is a steam room in the ladies locker room. Most of the ladies that go in there, are bare naked with no shame with ALL sorts of body types and all ages. So I thought, why can't I? I'm in the steam room alone and have a towel covering my important parts. Then a women walks in and gives me the ICK look. She didn't even try to hide it. The look of disgust at why wasn't I covering up my fat body. Really?

I felt uncomfortable for the 1st time at the gym and I left the steam room. Going to the gym again today but thinking about avoiding my after workout treat. Bummed.

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I bet you're imagining it. HOnestly, I used to be so insecure because I was so uncomfortable with being overweight that I assumed anyone who looked at me obviously would be disgusted. In reality, most people don't waste the energy forming opinions like that. I really doubt that she gave you a look and even if she did it could be totally unrelated. Or she has resting ***** face.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Heck if you like going in the steam room then do it! Don't let a b*tch face ruin it for you.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Are you absolutely sure that look was directed at you and not at the fact that there was a lot of steam in the room that she wasn't prepared for? (I am being serious here). Did she continue to look at you in that way until you left?

I've walked into steam rooms and given a look that could be construed as a nasty, ICK look because it's so steamy and I'm hit with a strong eucalyptus smell that it takes me by surprise. And yes, if you're in my line of site it could seem like I am making that look at you when I'm not.

Don't give up your after workout treat.
  • MsBetteDavis
    MsBetteDavis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Had you seen this woman in the steam room before?

I agree with the previous poster, there's a chance the look she made wasn't directed at you, but at the blast of steam she received (I find that steam rooms make me feel just disgusting, I hate it in there), or maybe she's uncomfortable with strangers being nude/semi nude in front of her? That's possible as well.

I remember as a kid and even now if I'm in a change room or the swimming pool with the open showers and a woman is showering naked, I feel uncomfortable. I try my best not to judge, because I'm of the mindset that you can do what you want, it's your prerogative, but I still have an initial "ugh" feeling when I see it, whether that person is overweight or not.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to imagine a look of disgust that would be so obviously in reaction to your body that it couldn't be reasonably attributed to paranoia on your part.

Everything I imagine where the look would be that obvious I'm having a difficult time divorcing it from behavior that is so confrontational it's also obvious the person wants to pick a fight with you.

I can think of a number of reasons however why someone might react to you. Maybe they wanted to be alone in the sauna and were upset someone was in there (perhaps they are self-conscious?). Maybe the steam shocked them. Maybe they just have one of those faces. Maybe they wanted to send a message like "don't talk to me." Not that it would be personal, but maybe they don't enjoy chit-chat in the sauna.

Without anything concrete, you should assume the most charitable interpretation of their behavior. Surely you would want the same in return.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    whatever to that chick Dont worry about her 9as long as you were sitting on the towel (that is a rule in most gyms)
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I don't do gyms. I get exercise through a few classes.

But I do spas.

I know this look of which you speak.

I have been to a fair number of spas (I'm hard to shop for and so people give me gift certificates) and these vary in location, fanciness and so do the temperament of the ladies and gents who go to such places.

Most people are welcoming. Most if you give them a big smile or make a friendly comment - the look disappears. It is, indeed steam or some other frustration showing on their face. They might even share a story at this time.

I have been to spas and seen the 'look', and suddenly you are aware that you do not meet an idea of body type, hair color, rock-size, or whatever. Close your eyes, sit back and enjoy your sauna. The person will be gone soon enough and they are not why you're in the sauna in the first place. You're there for you.

And they are a doody-head.

Yes. I resorted to name calling. I do not pretend maturity.
  • ScienceMom66
    Options
    Oh, I know that look - I've had it directed at my 100+ lb overweight body in a swim suit in water classes by newbies to the class. I've even heard the loudly "whispered" comments about my size and presumed lack of athletic ability. Then class starts, and I show them that size and cardio fitness have nothing to do with one another :). Ignore them - they are idiots.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know that look - I've had it directed at my 100+ lb overweight body in a swim suit in water classes by newbies to the class. I've even heard the loudly "whispered" comments about my size and presumed lack of athletic ability. Then class starts, and I show them that size and cardio fitness have nothing to do with one another :). Ignore them - they are idiots.

this sucks :flowerforyou:
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I really hope that it wasn't you she was looking ICK about, and just got some steam in her eye or something.

To be honest, i'd go in there again just to try and run into her again - but then, I like to peeve people off so theres that..
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Oh, the heck with those people ...... you just keep on keeping on :drinker:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Way I se it there are two possibilities:

1. The look wasn't directed at you/there wasn't a look/she just has b**chy resting face - therefore you should continue to use the steam room.

2. There was a look and therefore that woman is a judgmental doodie-head - therefore you should continue to use the steam room.

:happy:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It could just be in your head. You have no idea what she was thinking about when she scrunched her face up
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Maybe she just had Resting "B" Face? I have a close girlfriend who looks like she just might murder you even when she is smiling. Poor thing can't help it. Lol. Beautiful girl with a severe case of RBF.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Even if she was looking at you, to hell with her.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was the 'Darn, I thought I would have the space all to myself!" look.

We can all be too sensitive at times and I do not think you should give up your reward because of her.

Think of it this way, maybe now the looks might be saying yuck to the fat, but later they will be looks that are saying dang what a body - that's just how it goes.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it was directed at you? I really doubt anyone actually gives people dirty looks for no reason. Like others said, it could have neem anything else. Heck, maybe she just had a really bad conversation with someone and you just saw the end result.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I have a resting beach face. It probably wasn't you.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    JMO - may be your imagining it, Perhaps she was thinking about something else and expressing those thoughts on her face (I don this and it bugs my wife) or may be complete **** head. Whatever it is it isn't your body that is the problem. Its hard but even if she is sick enough to have done it does her opinion really have to mean anything to you ?
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think it's gross and weird to walk around a locker room (or steam room) naked, I don't care what you look like. But lots of people do it and don't care. The woman would probably agree with me. Don't take it personall