PiYo by day & C25K by night...

Hey everyone!

I have been doing the PiYo program for 4 weeks now, and I LOVE it. But I have a 5K race coming up in Sept and I wanted to be fully prepared for it.
I would say my fitness level is somewhere between Intermediate and Advanced, so I have NO issues with fitness. I generally do my training at home, so this is the first time in 10 years that I am running.
I love the C25K App...am currently on Day 2 of week 1. My only issue is on one leg I'm getting a ton of cramping in my knee/hip. I don't want to injure myself before this race so any tips from other runners/C25K users would be helpful!

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    PiYo by day, C25K by night, burnt out by tomorrow.
  • tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    When you say knee and hip, does the pain run between the 2 up the outside of your leg? Could be a very tight IT band, which is a pretty common issue with runners...especially when you just start running. There are tons of resources online for IT band stretches. I also use a foam roller and something like BioFreeze or Voltarin. I have been getting more into essential oils though, and peppermint is a good one for pain and inflammation. Can apply directly or put in your bath.
  • mizztanjo
    mizztanjo Posts: 153 Member
    When you say knee and hip, does the pain run between the 2 up the outside of your leg? Could be a very tight IT band, which is a pretty common issue with runners...especially when you just start running. There are tons of resources online for IT band stretches. I also use a foam roller and something like BioFreeze or Voltarin. I have been getting more into essential oils though, and peppermint is a good one for pain and inflammation. Can apply directly or put in your bath.

Thank you! This is very helpful. I ran last night and the pain subsided. So maybe was just a beginners cramps? Hopefully it doesn't come back. I find with all the stretches I do with PiYo it helps a lot with running! I'll check out IT band stretches tho if it returns :)