I need a routine

Options
kmradley
kmradley Posts: 27 Member
Right now I'm in a wash of anything goes, sleep when you can, eat whenever. This has to stop. So please, can you share your routines and maybe I'll get some inspiration for building my own?

Replies

• oystercatcher3944
    Options
    Here's my (weekday) routine; as you can tell, I am a creature of habit :)

Get up at 6:30
    I always eat breakfast at home before I go to work, almost always two eggs scrambled with some vegetables of some kind and corn tortillas, plus a piece of fruit. I might not eat the fruit, and instead save it for a mid-morning snack. I also have my first cup of coffee at home, and then one more when I arrive at work at 8.

I always get some exercise on my lunch break. I am lucky enough to work in a place where I don't have to stick to one schedule, and can often take longer lunches. I belong to a yoga studio near my office, so I frequently go to their mid-day "power" yoga class, or I go for an hour-long walk to get some fresh air. I also sometimes bike to work, which is a good 12-mile ride with some significant hills, so that counts as a day's worth of activity. I find that building exercise into my workday or commute like that makes me more likely to be consistent because I don't feel like I'm "giving up" personal time. Trying to get myself to exercise after work can sometimes be really hard.

Then I eat lunch at my desk at about 1:15 every day. Usually, it's leftovers from the night before, often on top of a bunch of lettuce ("leftover salad").

In the afternoon, I might have a snack, depending on how energetic/hungry I feel. I leave the office around 5, and I usually go straight home and make dinner for my boyfriend and I then because I am unfailingly ravenous after work. If I didn't get any exercise during the workday, I squeeze in a run or walk right after I get home and before my boyfriend gets home at 7. I basically reserve the evenings after dinner for reading, gardening, working on projects, or socializing - about the only exercise I do reliably in the evening is a leisurely walk around the neighborhood.

On the weeknights, I go to bed between 10 and 10:30 almost religiously. I know everybody has different sleep needs, but I really need those 8 hours to feel on top of my game the next day. I can even feel the difference when I went to bed at 11 the night before (like today- sooo groggy). I find that taking a hot shower before bed makes me tired every time.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    5:15-6:15am: Wake up get ready to go
    6:15-7:15am: Commute to work
    7:30-4:00pm: Work (eat breakfast around 8pm; lunch @ 11 or 12; snack around 2 or 3pm)
    4:00-5:45pm: Commute home/pick up kids from daycare & grandma's house
    5:45-8:30pm: Dinner/kid time/put kids to bed
    8:30-9:00pm: Sit down and relax. Breathe. Watch a little TV. Eat ice cream.
    9:00-10:30pm: Workout
    10:30-11:00pm: Get ready for bed/lounge/sleep.
  • happyapathy
    Options
    This is for a work weekday.

9:30-10:15: Wake up. I have an alarm set for 10 and an alarm set for 10:30. I prefer to wake up at the 10 AM alarm or earlier but it doesn't always happen. I weigh myself every morning. This isn't good for everyone but it works for me.

Between wakeup and 10:30: Small breakfast, check on computer before work. I always mean to start doing short workouts at this time but never do. Oh well.

10:30 - get dressed, brush teeth, drive to work.

11 AM: Work work work work

~1:30-2:30: sometime in this block I'm usually allowed to take my 20 minute break, where I eat lunch.

After break - 7 PM: Work work work work. My job requires me to be on my feet all day, I usually take 10,000-12,000 steps which my fitbit syncs to my MFP account.

7:20ish: I get home. Depending on my fiancé's schedule, I might make dinner right away, or I might go for a bike ride (he either works afternoons-- I'd bike-- or midnights--I'd make dinner.)

9-10ish: Opposite of whatever I did above. Make dinner if my fiancé is due home soon, go for a bike ride or walk if he just left.

11pm - 2 am: Relax, shower, watch TV, use the computer. Depending on my calories for the rest of the day, I might have a snack in this time.

2 AM: Go to bed.