Non-dairy cheese suggestions?

Options
Hi all, I am lactose intolerant and would love to find a way to enjoy a grilled cheese sandwich from time to time. I've tried most every brand out there to no avail. Daiya was tasty but messed up my tummy for almost a whole day. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Depends how lactose intolerant you are, but I have no trouble eating goats cheese. It's a different flavour to regular cheese, but it's delicious! Where I am you can get several varities - feta like ones, soft cheeses - but if you want to grill it look out for a mild cheddar maybe.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I would strongly suggest using a very hard aged cheese. Those tend to have the least lactose. Softer usually = more lactose
  • laurenjill
    laurenjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest Daiya, darn! If you can find it in your area, I recommend trying Teese's non-dairy cheeses. I know you can order it online, but if you're in the Chicago area, you can probably find it at a local grocer.
  • ldy_78
    ldy_78 Posts: 61
    Options
    I was going to suggest Daiya, darn! If you can find it in your area, I recommend trying Teese's non-dairy cheeses. I know you can order it online, but if you're in the Chicago area, you can probably find it at a local grocer.

Oh I'm going to look that up! Thank you!
  • ldy_78
    ldy_78 Posts: 61
    Options
    Depends how lactose intolerant you are, but I have no trouble eating goats cheese. It's a different flavour to regular cheese, but it's delicious! Where I am you can get several varities - feta like ones, soft cheeses - but if you want to grill it look out for a mild cheddar maybe.

I forgot about goat's cheese. They make an aged variety at the health food store I frequent. In my dreams I'd love something really rich and cheddar-y... but a nice goat cheddar might just fit the bill. I have digested it well in the past. Thanks!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    im vegan and daiya is amazing

so is follow your heart vegan gourmet
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i'm lactose intolerant and i find any decent quality mature cheddar is safe

the best way to tell is look on the packet and see how much sugar is in it, the lower the number the better, lactose is the sugar in milk you see :)

so for exaple, this is a farourite of mine, catherdral city cheddar http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=268768873 scroll down the page and you see the it has 0.1g of sugar in it, so that is only 0.1g of lactose your stomach has to deal with
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty fond of veggie slices lol, my grandma was vegetarian but also had regular cheese and mixing the two together was yum. It might be good to try multiple types like the Daiya suggested with it because it can be sort of runny and not sure that would be a good grilled cheese or not...