How many times you do cardio and strength?

Options
How many times you do cardio and strength in a week?
When you lift weights, how many hours in a day?

*one last question*

When i started lifting weeks .. i feel like 1200 calories isn't enough.. i felt like i'm hungry all the time.
I started chalean extreme just last week and i'm wondering if i should increase my calories intake? :ohwell:

Replies

• Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I do them both 5-6 days per week. I feel the cardio is a must to burn calories and feels like a great workout. After 30 minutes of cardio, I do weight lifting and other body weight exercises to build muscle and up the metabolism.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I do strength training 3x a week...heavy lifting

I do cardio usually 2-3x a week...but lately it's been 5-6x a week due to a contest at work.

and Yes 1200 calories is not nearly enough when you are exercising at all esp if that is gross calories.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

*one last question*

When i started lifting weeks .. i feel like 1200 calories isn't enough.. i felt like i'm hungry all the time.
    I started chalean extreme just last week and i'm wondering if i should increase my calories intake? :ohwell:

Cardio 5 days weights 6-7 days
    1.5hours on average depends though too

Depends on what those 1200 calroies are made up of honestly ... no one can say with out studying your diaries over weeks... and who has time for that? A nutirtionist cause your paying them to do it ;) .

Try adding more protein to your diet helps make you feel full for longer.
  • eatgoodfood90
    Options
    Hey! I usually eat the calories I burn, but I'm very, very careful about how I measure the calories I've burned. For example, I think my FT4 polar (I think that's what it's called) heart rate monitor says I burn more calories than I do during certain exercises. So for me, 30 mins and 7 miles of pretty intense (high resistance) biking only burns about 200 calories even though I sweat etc.

If you're doing chalene extreme you are probably burning a good amount of extra calories to add onto your 1200! So just eat all or part of them back so that you feel good/not hungry. It might slow down weight loss but it will be more likely to be sustainable weight loss. I think so anyway!!

edit: I do some cardio everyday, whether walking jogging biking elliptical. I need to, or I'm very irritable. I'm not a fan of very painful exercise, so I keep it fun! I do weights a few times a week, whenever my muscles crave it, but I'm not super fit OR trying to be muscular so perhaps not the best example to follow?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Both 5 days a week.
  • JaxNole82
    Options
    I lift 4 times a week, cardio maybe once or twice.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy 5 days a week for about 45-60 minutes.
    Cardio nearly every day anywhere from 30 minutes to 8 hours (Normally around 90 minutes)
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I lift 4 times a week on non-consecutive days followed by 15 min of cardio (usually running) afterwards. Typical workout consists of 24 sets which takes me anywhere from 45min - 50min to complete. I usually try to stick to compound lifts, but I do work shoulders and arms once a week. Squats are my favorite because they're the most challenging and I feel like the hulk afterwards. I never lift to failure because I think that the risk of injury outweighs any potential benefits of doing so.

During my off days I run 5K-10K depending on how I feel.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    3x Strength Training (30 minutes)
    6x Cardio (before strength training, and separately 30 minutes HIIT)

1200 calories is not enough. Especially if you're strength training.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • c_aw
    c_aw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    3x heavy lifting
    2 x cardio

:)
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options

*one last question*

Heavy weights 2-3 times per week
    Light cardio 2-3 times per week (either a little after heavy lifting or on my in between days)

1,200 is a bit low even for someone who is sitting on the couch all day. If you are actually lifting and doing cardio you definitely need to be eating more than that.
  • lisanangel
    lisanangel Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I do 3-5 cardio/ weight training a week and have lost 5 pounds in 9 days !! :wink
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

*one last question*

Cardio 5 days weights 6-7 days
    1.5hours on average depends though too

Depends on what those 1200 calroies are made up of honestly ... no one can say with out studying your diaries over weeks... and who has time for that? A nutirtionist cause your paying them to do it ;) .

Try adding more protein to your diet helps make you feel full for longer.

I am going to say that unless you are a RD it would almost be a guarantee that 1200 is not enough for that...

RD I am sure could plan a 1200 calorie day to get in all the Macros/Micros but average Joe/Sue would not ...so without studying the diary over weeks I am confident in saying 1200 is not enough calories when lifting weights and doing cardio.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 6 days a week and heavy weight lifting 5 days a week.

OP read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

You should be definitely eating more then 1200 calories.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I do 3 days lifitng per week I also do cardio 3-5 days a week (15 min max)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy 4 days a week - Wendlers 5/3/1 4-day split.

I do some cardio 5 or 6 days a week. Depends if one of my running days falls on the weekend. 3-4 non-consecutive days per week, I'll run. I'm working on increasing distance and building a decent base. Last week, I finished C25K training. This week, each run is somewhere between 4-5 miles.

On days I don't run, I'll walk, or bike, or swim (if I ever find a suit that fits) at easy-moderate intensity for 30-60 min. No pressure - just whatever I feel like doing. If I'm tired already, I'll do the equivalent of a stroll.

I don't eat back those calories because I already eat around my sedentary TDEE (1500 cals). I'm depending on the exercise to burn off the last couple of pounds.

Some days, I'll do an extra 30-60 min walk with my dog. Those calories, I will eat back. After work, the reward of a tired pup isn't enough. I need the promise of that 50-80 cals as well :laugh:
  • bubbly_charm2k9
    bubbly_charm2k9 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks For The replies.. :smooched: :drinker: