Are alcohol calories different?

Options
If I eat great all day and then have a few glasses of wine before bed will I still lose weight? I'm still staying under my calories but I was wondering if your body "knows" whether you have a glass of wine before bed or a banana? If I am not going over 1200 calories can i still have a few drinks???

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    If I eat great all day and then have a few glasses of wine before bed will I still lose weight? I'm still staying under my calories but I was wondering if your body "knows" whether you have a glass of wine before bed or a banana? If I am not going over 1200 calories can i still have a few drinks???

alcohol is absolutely a different type of calorie than others. It's not a nutrient, it provides nothing for your body, and forces your body to halt most other energy conversion while it's in the body. It also irritates the stomach lining causing a decrease in absorption of nutrients, so what good food that is in your stomach is not processed as efficiently. this is the tip of the ice berg with alcohol. Yes there are a few positive aspects from one glass of wine every other day or twice a week, but that's one actual glass (I.E. 5 oz) and not every day. Personally, I feel that the negatives of alcohol well overshadow any positive cholesterol or heart numbers you may receive. By that I mean liver issues, kidney issues, reduced immune function, weight gain, malnutrition (in more advanced cases), and the big one, addiction. Not saying you have any/all of these, just listing the side effects that are possible.
  • ksv123
    ksv123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

alcohol is absolutely a different type of calorie than others. It's not a nutrient, it provides nothing for your body, and forces your body to halt most other energy conversion while it's in the body. It also irritates the stomach lining causing a decrease in absorption of nutrients, so what good food that is in your stomach is not processed as efficiently. this is the tip of the ice berg with alcohol. Yes there are a few positive aspects from one glass of wine every other day or twice a week, but that's one actual glass (I.E. 5 oz) and not every day. Personally, I feel that the negatives of alcohol well overshadow any positive cholesterol or heart numbers you may receive. By that I mean liver issues, kidney issues, reduced immune function, weight gain, malnutrition (in more advanced cases), and the big one, addiction. Not saying you have any/all of these, just listing the side effects that are possible.

You just really bummed me out!
  • Deadcherries
    Deadcherries Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not consuming alcohol while I'm getting used to it. Beer is usually 200 calories or so a bottle. Wine, I'm not sure. I have to look it up. These are empty calories. By the time you have hit your daily allowance and then a few drinks, you have put yourself over with no nutritional benefits. If you want the most effect without screwing the caloric intake then you don't need drinks; try a shot. A shot of tequila will put you in the mood and cause what I believe is much less harm.
  • vallinn63
    vallinn63 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm still drinking AND losing weight. Here's a great article:
    muscleevo.net/alcohol-weight-loss/
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

:huh:
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

Literally none of the things you mentioned matter if the alcohol is consumed in moderation. While fat loss is inhibited it's done so only on a temporary basis. Alcohol will not effect your weight loss if you account for it in your total calories. Sure consuming alcohol in large quantities on a regular basis reeks havoc on the body, but the OP said "a few glasses of wine", not a bottle of wine every single day.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    No, for weight loss, calories are calories. My only problem with drinking a few glass of wine a night would be that you're missing out on real nutrition by using those calories for wine and it may be enough to affect quality of sleep. I personally have cut down a lot on drinking, not only because I'd rather eat the calories but because once I get a buzz, my willpower tenda to fade and I'm more likey to get into something snacky and end up going over my calories.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    "A few glasses of wine" IS a bottle. A 750 ml bottle is five 5 ounce glasses.

4 glasses of five ounces is a glass short of a bottle. It's too much per night.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Ditto here! :drinker: I just pre-log it to see what I'm working with and plan out the rest of my day accordingly. You don't HAVE to cut out anything you don't want to. (barring a medical condition that requires it)

*I only have about two strawberitas a month or so
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    The key things to know about alcohol calories in relation to others is:

A gram of protein = 4 calories
    A gram of carbs = 4 calories
    A gram of fat = 9 calories
    A gram of alcohol = 7 calories.

So right away you can clearly tell they are indeed a different kind of calorie than the others you normally consider.

Also, your body eliminates alcohol as a toxin, and in a simplified nutshell essentially stops digesting other nutrients and begins using it's energy to process the alcohol and eliminate it, at which point it resumes normal processing again. In other words, the other calories you have taken in are not readily used while your body focuses on working out the alcohol. Very simplified, but how it works in a most general sense.

Drinking alcohol does not really give one a sense of feeling "energized" and therefore may not be as active or burn as many calories while drinking than they would otherwise. Calories In vs Calories Out simply dictate that if you are less active than your caloric intake, no matter if you drank or not, you will gain weight. There can be a tendency among many to be less active while drinking alcohol, and even to consume other calories besides alcohol either prior to drinking or while drinking.

Just food for thought. I have a drink from time to time. Much fewer right now as I am focused on my caloric intake and losing weight, so I don't take in anything extra that I don't need. I never "need" alcohol.
    Options
    Oh I am so in.
    Too bad I'm out of popcorn.
  • vismal
    Options
    "A few glasses of wine" IS a bottle. A 750 ml bottle is five 5 ounce glasses.

4 glasses of five ounces is a glass short of a bottle. It's too much per night.
    A "few glasses of wine" CAN BE a whole bottle of wine. It could also be 10 oz of wine. I personally don't think the OP is consuming a whole bottle of wine 7 days a week. OP will you please be more specific so we don't have to argue about things we are speculating? How many glasses, how big are the glasses, how many days per week average.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Interesting article. Thanks for the link!
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with enjoying alcohol in moderation if you've accounted for it's calories.

I like Guinness and Gin + Diet Tonic, not every night though..
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    You can make it work, but I'm just thinking 1200 is already pretty low - so to stay in your goal you would need to cut out potential nutrition that you probably need. If anything, I would think let yourself have a glass of wine in addition to 1200 food calories, and be okay with slightly slower weight loss. Just my thoughts.
  • vegasgyrl79971
    Options
    I have 5-8oz of wine ***EVERY SINGLE NIGHT*** I of course account for it make sure that I do not go over 8 oz's and on my days off I might indulge and have TWO glasses of wine ***OH THE HORROR*** Account for it in your totals and you will be fine. Is alcohol nutrient dense? Heck no but as long as youre not chugging down 3 shots of Vodka a night the I'd say youre fine. And if you are chugging down 3 shots of Vodka a night, there is nothing MFP can do for you because you need to find your nearest AA meeting. Off my soap box.
    Options
    I have 5-8oz of wine ***EVERY SINGLE NIGHT*** I of course account for it make sure that I do not go over 8 oz's and on my days off I might indulge and have TWO glasses of wine ***OH THE HORROR*** Account for it in your totals and you will be fine. Is alcohol nutrient dense? Heck no but as long as youre not chugging down 3 shots of Vodka a night the I'd say youre fine. And if you are chugging down 3 shots of Vodka a night, there is nothing MFP can do for you because you need to find your nearest AA meeting. Off my soap box.

:laugh: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • vismal
    Options
    Nothing wrong with enjoying alcohol in moderation if you've accounted for it's calories.

I like Guinness and Gin + Diet Tonic, not every night though..
    I used to avoid Guinness because I assumed it had to be very high in calories. I was shocked to find it's actually one of the most calorie friendly, full flavored beer around! It's almost all I drink now!
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Ditto here! :drinker: I just pre-log it to see what I'm working with and plan out the rest of my day accordingly. You don't HAVE to cut out anything you don't want to. (barring a medical condition that requires it)

*I only have about two strawberitas a month or so

Yep. Have a look at my diary. I'm averaging -2.6lbs/week.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I only gain weight when I don't drink. So I consistently make sure that doesn't happen.