Cardio and Strength training...same day????

Options
Right now I'm doing 30 minutes of weight lifting, then doing 30-45 minutes of cardio afterwards. I do this 6 days a week. Sometimes, I add in an extra day (Sunday) just for an extra cardio session. It's the easiest way for me, schedule wise. Doing cardio and strength training on the same day, I've heard various opinions on the this. I was wondering who else does it this way?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I do it that way. Go ahead and do it. I'm 96.4% certain that you'll live
  • sweetnsassy1491
    sweetnsassy1491 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    LOL...are you sure? I've heard otherwise...Thanks! :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    somewhere in the world a kitten dies when you do cardio and strength on the same day.

PS 2-3 of my workouts a week are weighted cardio complexes. it doesnt hamper any progress i make on my she-ra weight days. in fact it might even help...
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. In fact I'm currently doing morning weights, afternoon weights and eve cardio. Hasn't killed me yet.

Main thing to worry about is burn out, not over training.

Keep it up and you will look and feel ...stellar. :happy:
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ya it's fine but do the cardio after your lifting. Your muscles will get more of a workout.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio in the early morning and my weight lifting in the evening, all in the same day. :wink:
  • crescentgaia
    crescentgaia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ya it's fine but do the cardio after your lifting. Your muscles will get more of a workout.

Can you explain the why about this? I do my weight lifting after cardio and now I'm worried I'm doing it wrong. :)
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My physical therapist always makes me do both cardio and strength training in the same session.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    somewhere in the world a kitten dies when you do cardio and strength on the same day.

050a7c79f7986cfde5405bcc04b7a0bd28eed6c5_m.gif
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    as long as you are hitting your overall goals, whatever they may be....then do so.

and you don't die of course.

I for one do about 2 days of cardio (light cardio for ~45min)
    And the other 5 days are weights......

On some of the days I lift, after work I would go down to the beach and walk for about an hour....
    So I guess you could count that as cardio/exercise. Definitely a fun exercise.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Can you explain the why about this? I do my weight lifting after cardio and now I'm worried I'm doing it wrong. :)

There is no "wrong"

If you are able to do it that way, and the goals you want to achieve, you are reaching.....
    Then you are fine.
  • Crissy999
    Crissy999 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do the same, at least 3 times a week. I normally do 30 min of Cardio and 30 strength. Makes me feel good! So keep it up.
  • ClintonnGottaDoItAgain
    Options
    I do it 5 days a week. Been working out pretty good so far.
  • choosing_fitness
    Options

They have actually done studies that shows that when you do weight training before cardio your cardio expenditure does not decrease, but when done opposite, your body is more fatigued and less likely to lift as heavy of weights, etc. :)
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals.

Cardio warm-up BEFORE strength training AND cardio cool-down AFTER strength training puts the body in a greater, longer fat-burning mode.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I did some cardio on lunch today, then took a walk this evening, then lifted weights at night. I just fit the stuff in whenever I can with my schedule. I think you'll be fine. Like the others said, just don't over train and burn yourself out.

I think the logic behind do weights first then cardio is simply that if you do cardio first, you might be a little more tired, therefore may not be able to push yourself as hard with the weights as you would beforehand. But I think unless you're a hardcore bodybuilder type, I can't see that really affecting the average person just looking to get fit.

I'd say if you're doing both in the same day that's awesome because a lot of people do neither in the same day haha!
  • crescentgaia
    crescentgaia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks KyleBonsorPT - that really helped. It helped me realize that my goal is cardio endurance due to the 5K training and that strength training is secondary at the moment. It helps and I do it on the days that it says "cross train + strength train". Probably, after the 5K, I'll be focusing more on strength vs endurance, so I'll do the weight lifting first.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals.

Cardio warm-up BEFORE strength training AND cardio cool-down AFTER strength training puts the body in a greater, longer fat-burning mode.

Ummmm no. Strength training in and of itself, will continue to burn calories after your workout is over. Cardio burns calories while doing and stops burning calories when finished. OP bottom line is like most have told you, if you are meeting your goals stick with it and you are fine. Both cardio and strength training have benefits. Some people can do both in the same day some cannot. Right now I am training for a race in October so I am more on the cardio side. After October I will focus more on lifting and less on cardio.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm doing 30 minutes of weight lifting, then doing 30-45 minutes of cardio afterwards. I do this 6 days a week. Sometimes, I add in an extra day (Sunday) just for an extra cardio session. It's the easiest way for me, schedule wise. Doing cardio and strength training on the same day, I've heard various opinions on the this. I was wondering who else does it this way?

HandsApplaud01LASC8.jpg

You are awesome for doing it the right way. Weights before cardio. Nice

I used to do that way but double the time. hour weights then hour cardio. I found that I was burning a lot of muscle and I fell off everything.