Chia Seeds

I just got a jar of Chia Seeds today and want to know your experience with them. I have been on the fence about them for a couple of weeks now and have finally decided to start trying them tomorrow. Did you feel full after a spoon full? Did they make you feel sick? How long did you use the Chia Seeds? And how much weight did you lose while eating them?

Replies

• MargaretWalks
    MargaretWalks Posts: 38 Member
    I don't eat them without anything else. I add them to something. Like oatmeal. Or yogurt. They have 5 grams of fiber per tablespoon. I can't imagine just putting a tablespoonful of them into my mouth, although they don't taste awful or anything like that.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    I would suggest you only eat a small amount, like a half a tablespoon to start. Chia seeds are a great source of protein and fiber and ALAs but if you're like me and not used to high levels of fiber is can cause some discomfort at first if you overdo it on the first go. That being said they're a great addition to yogurts, smoothies, and even ice cream. You can make a pudding out of them by letting them soak in coconut or almond milk. Regular milk is okay too, but a little odd tasting. Sweeten with whatever you like to use.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    I just got a jar of Chia Seeds today and want to know your experience with them. I have been on the fence about them for a couple of weeks now and have finally decided to start trying them tomorrow. Did you feel full after a spoon full? Did they make you feel sick? How long did you use the Chia Seeds? And how much weight did you lose while eating them?
    sooooooooo.....

eating chia seeds alone won't have any effect on losing weight. If you want to add them to foods, awesome, but they're no miracle.

Can I ask what you thought they would do / why you bought them?
  • Chia seeds are great! You can add a tablespoon to a cup of water or warm (not hot) tea and let them soak for ~5 min to get the cleansing benefits, or directly add them to baked goods, smoothies, etc.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    They are NOT going to be the reason you lose weight...if your thinking they will then best to be warned now. They are supposed to have healthy benefits with aiding in weight loss one of them, that is "AIDING" in the weight loss and not causing the weight loss. I used them for a bit but don't like the slimy feel of them when mixed with wet stuff, so I didn't take them very long. I may have to look into trying them again for the fiber reason though. They have calories so be sure your adding that in when you take them
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Yeah, they're not going to "make" you lose weight, you do that with a deficit. I just used some for the first time today. I added them to my oatmeal, and it wasn't bad.
  • Obviously I wouldn't eat them alone. I want to put them in my juice. I'm coming off of medicine and don't want to gain much weight back. I'm still going to keep working out like I normally do. I know I worded the post a little weird.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Obviously I wouldn't eat them alone. I want to put them in my juice. I'm coming off of medicine and don't want to gain much weight back. I'm still going to keep working out like I normally do. I know I worded the post a little weird.
    Well, what others have said still applies. It's going to be a calorie deficit that's going to keep you from regaining and losing. So if you want to add Chia seeds for taste or fiber, that's fine. Just as long as your overall calories remain with the goal MFP has set you (which is your deficit).
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Obviously I wouldn't eat them alone. I want to put them in my juice. I'm coming off of medicine and don't want to gain much weight back. I'm still going to keep working out like I normally do. I know I worded the post a little weird.

There is nothing special about them that will prevent weight gain or aid in weight loss. They do have an interesting nutritional profile though, so if you want them for that reason, by all means go for it. I bought them to add to stuff and boost my ALA intake here and there - I like the crunchy texture in oatmeal and other things.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    I use chia seeds to help with my hydration on long runs... I put 2 TBS in 8-10 ounces of cold water and let them sit about ten minutes until they get like a gel. I drink that about thirty minutes before my run and it gives me a long subtle push to my endurance and hydration. I also make spelt and teff flour crepes spread with almond butter, honey and chia seeds for a mid-run snack...

I never heard that they make you "go" and they have never done that for me... and I have never heard that they can help you lose weight. Everything I have read about them has been in the context of long distance running. And in that area, I swear by them and use them regularly.
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    I add them to my yogurt. I like the consistency when eaten immediately-a little crunchy. If you wait and let them sit they become gooey. No real taste in my opionion. I started adding them for the added protein. I do not find any issue with the added fiber but I could see where others might esp if low on veggies/other fiber.
  • 00Allie00
    00Allie00 Posts: 243 Member
    I love them. I add them to smoothies, I make puddings and 'bubble tea' type drinks with them, I use them to add crunch to baked goods and salads, and they're good in yogurt and in addition to granola. I just keep them in my arsenal of things to add interest to my food and enhance the nutritional profile of what I'm eating.
  • Bmclark
    Bmclark Posts: 2 Member
    Do you have to let them soak in the water and turn to a gel for the fiber benefit? I've been using them for about 3 months (I take a tablespoon at lunch and dinner) and I just throw them in my mouth and swallow them with a glass of water.

I'm just worried about diverticulitis, but I assume they turn to a gel in my stomach.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    You can make a cereal with them let them sit in soy or amond or coconut milk for 5 minutes til gelatinous. They are a mucilage food they get a gel on them when soaked like flaxseed. It helps to scrub the colon. I suppose it could be filling. I just do a cereal when I need to go or add to smoothies. But I don't know about weight loss.
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    One idea I got was based on a yogurt ad - it was chia seeds with walnuts and blueberry yogurt. So i use plain greek yogurt, fresh blueberries, walnuts and a teaspoon of chia seeds.

Another idea was to add them to my berry smoothie

I also add them as part of my ice cream toppings with fresh fruit and cocoa nibs

And once I tried adding about a tablespoon to pasta marinara with meat sauce to pour over pasta.

Im not crazy about chia because I have to floss my teeth right after but I have found some ways to enjoy them. :smile:
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Do you have to let them soak in the water and turn to a gel for the fiber benefit? I've been using them for about 3 months (I take a tablespoon at lunch and dinner) and I just throw them in my mouth and swallow them with a glass of water.

I'm just worried about diverticulitis, but I assume they turn to a gel in my stomach.
    yes they gel up just like flaxseed. You can also just add them to water or any drink or food. You can even buy kombucha with them in there.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    The reason chia seeds are associated with weight loss is because supposedly because they expand and absorb water the volume takes more space in your stomach and that plus the fiber makes you feel fuller. I have not noticed this effect dramatically, but they are incredibly nutritious and I happen to love their weird gelatinous yet crunchy texture. I do think they help with a little energy boost but I think that is because they help you retain hydration a little more.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    They are filling! They really expand in water. I thought to see how much 'gel' it would produce by soaking just one tsp. in water (over night). I did not measure, but holly cow does it ever expand! It is very filling, so I guess That's why some think you can loose weight with it. I throw my soaked chia into baked goods-muffins,pancakes or mix it with some yogurt.
  • Thank you all for your input. Hopefully they will help me feel full while I come off of this medicine.