Training for Tough Mudder - Should I add..

Options
I am training for Tough Mudder ( November 8th ). This is my current work out. Three days a week: Each run is for three minutes, and each excercise is for 1 minute and 15 seconds.

As I progress through this training, I will continue to increase run times, excercise times, and difficulty of each excercise.

Circuit 1:

Run
Push-up Crunches
Run
Sit-ups
Run
Dumbbell Snatch
Rest

Circuit 2:

Run
Lunges with weights
Run
Bent-over Row
Run
Plank
Rest

Circuit 3:

Run
Triceps Dips
Run
Surrenders
Run
Side Plank
Rest

Circuit 4:

Run
Pull ups
Run
Squat Press
Run
Up down Planks
Rest

Circuit 5:

Run
Push ups (With row lift with weight after each pushup)
Run
Turkish Get-ups
Run
Star Plank
Rest

I would like to know if it would be advised to add a day or two of additional strength straining (reps and sets) without the cardio. Or perhaps add a fourth day of these circuits instead, or even cut down to two circuit days with two strength training days?

All input would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• SinCosTan
    Options
    bump
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would bag some of the running in between exercises in favor of crawls or jump rope. I'd also do long endurance building runs on the days you don't do this circuit.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I would bag some of the running in between exercises in favor of crawls or jump rope. I'd also do long endurance building runs on the days you don't do this circuit.

But a TM is a running event? I would add in a lot more pull ups. The crawls are a good idea too
  • SinCosTan
    Options
    I am combining my runs with this circuit. I am attempting to somewhat re-create the act of running, then obstacle, and repeat. The idea is, once I get my circuit up to 6-8 miles with these exercises in between, ill be able to handle running the TM without a problem. I feel like running 6 miles with exercises is more difficult and tallies one up to endurance more so then just running 6 miles. So should I really be adding more running days?

I think I will cut my circuit down to two days a week and add in 3 days of body weight /dumbbell strength training.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    In for info.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I would try to add in more upper body work, box jumps, and burpees. There are lots of walls to climb and upper body + explosive lower body movements will help a ton.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am combining my runs with this circuit. I am attempting to somewhat re-create the act of running, then obstacle, and repeat. The idea is, once I get my circuit up to 6-8 miles with these exercises in between, ill be able to handle running the TM without a problem. I feel like running 6 miles with exercises is more difficult and tallies one up to endurance more so then just running 6 miles. So should I really be adding more running days?

I think I will cut my circuit down to two days a week and add in 3 days of body weight /dumbbell strength training.

So you're not doing any straight running sessions?

You'll develop more running endurance by running, rather than circuits. Given TM is a run with obstacles I'd split it as running sessions, resistance sessions then add in circuits around that.

In many ways specificity leads to greater opportunities for the general case. From a running perspective speed comes from sessions of long miles with some speedwork rather than many short sprints.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't know how fast you're running, but the obstacles on a TM course can be pretty far apart. 3 mins might not be representative.
    BUT, you don't DO Mudders to train for one. I too am concerned that you're not getting in enough long runs via this method. The courses are quite long and can approach 1/2 marathon distance. (18km vs 21km).

RUN HILLS. Big ones. One hill run a week.

DO PULL UPS. Lots of them.. You need this type of strength for many of the obstacles.

Crawls and other plank-y things are a essential as well.