A Week of Salads

Options
My husband suggested we have a week of salads to take a break from these really detailed meal plans I've been following. Would like some suggestions on what types of salads we should make!

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    My husband suggested we have a week of salads to take a break from these really detailed meal plans I've been following. Would like some suggestions on what types of salads we should make!

Fruit salad
    Chicken Ceasar
    Greek salad
    Tuna Salad
    Steak and Egg Salad

I can make anything into a salad..

just eat food, fit it into your calories for the day - meet your fat and protein macros. Have a cookie.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Even if I ate a different kind of salad every day for a week I'd get so sick of it. I need warm food on a daily basis, not cold.

And now that I've posted that, it seems very unhelpful. So here is a recipe!

Apple Pecan Quinoa Salad

Box of quinoa cooked using low sodium chicken broth instead of water
    1 cup chopped pecans or almonds
    2 granny smith apples, chopped
    1/4 cup dried cranberries or a fresh berry of your choosing or leave it out
    1/4 - 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
    3 tbsp olive oil
    1.5 tbsp dijon mustard
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    Salt and pepper to taste (if you want)

After making the quinoa, whisk the oil and dijon together and mix it into the quinoa. Then add the other ingredients, stir, and put the lid back on the quinoa pot until the apples soften and cheese melts.

It can be served hot or cold!

I used a bulgur/quinoa blend when I made this and only 1/4 cup of cheese. I wouldn't have missed the cranberries - there were so few once it was all mixed together.
  • tmyers541
    tmyers541 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Haha thanks you guys. We just want a break from the endless cooking I've been doing. We'll still have regular breakfast and lunches, we just want easy dinners and salads sound good.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love a nice cranberry and almond (or walnut) salad made with carrots and spring mix lettuce drizzled with Balsamic Vinaigrette.
  • kimekakes28
    kimekakes28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Kake cranberry pine nut salad - very simple
    Kale
    dried cranberries
    pine nuts (or a nut of your choice)
    lemon juice
    season to taste
    mix everything to your liking and let it set over night.
    I add chicken or turkey when I'm ready to eat it.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I go in spurts with salad meals. I've done taco salads with taco seasoned ground turkey, avocado, lettuce or spinach, salsa and Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and recently spinach with edamame, peppers, tomatoes and seitan or chicken with a sesame ginger dressing. Kind of a take on this. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1385111-edamame-steak-salad
  • Cheeseburger85
    Cheeseburger85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I tried that once. No luck. Apparently potato salad doesn't count.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite!

Salad:
    Baby spinach leaves
    Onion slivers
    Blackberries (halved)
    Crumbled goat cheese
    Walnut pieces

Dressing ratio:
    1/4 extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 honey
    1/2 balsamic vinegar
    (with a jigger of soy sauce)

Mmmm..... :love:
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    i love this one:

seafood salad : egg kani and mayo with onion
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Check out salads in jars. I make them in advance and they are super easy and handy to have ready to grab on the go. :) There are tons of recipes out there.
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I eat a huge salad everyday for lunch. These are the basics:
    ALWAYS:
    - Spinach, kale, and/or spring mix
    - Grape tomatoes
    - Red onion
    - Cucumbers
    - Some kind of in-season fruit (strawberries, mango, peaches, pomegranate)
    - Feta (because this gives me the most "bang" for the least calories & the saltiness contrasts w/ the sweetness of the fruit) but sometimes blue cheese
    - 1/2 fresh lemon, squeezed over
    - 4 oz. chicken, steak or other protein
    - My homemade vinaigrette (olive oil, water, fresh citrus juice, vinegar, fresh garlic, salt & pepper)

SOMETIMES:
    If I've lifted that day & need a more substantial meal, I'll add some pine nuts, avocado, walnuts, quinoa or sweet potato. I use a homemade vinaigrette & dig in!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It takes more work for me to make a salad than to just grill some meat and nuke some veggies, lol!
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    We have eaten salads everyday for lunch for the past 6 months! I love salads and can't get enough!!!

Leafy greens, usually spinach & kale, sometimes chard & bok choy
    protein--chicken, salmon, pork, tuna
    dressing--olive oil & spices, sometimes a mustard dressing
    add in as you need--hard boiled egg, nuts, seeds

I love salads and there are many more options that I have listed. There are tons of recipes for dressings which helps me to keep it different. I need a dressing, my fiancée doesn't. I've also put some what some call weird stuff in salads before, like rice. That freaked out all the people I worked with at that time. Just do what you like!!
  • quicksprt98
    Options
    I do alot of Chipotle style salads, don't know if you have ever eaten there or not but it is amazing!! They are mexican style salads that are made of fresh awesome ingredients like Chicken, Black Beans, Brown Rice, Salsa, Guacamole, and low fat cheese. By far my favorite salad. I can prep everything days ahead of time and make sure I have plenty for the whole week. Lemme know if you want my recipe for the rice.
  • tmyers541
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! It's helping me brainstorm!
  • amyrhodus
    amyrhodus Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Today is Chicken Taco Salad - Mix grilled chicken with taco seasoning, black beans and salsa (may need a little water if salsa is thick), simmer on stove top for about 5 minutes to marry the flavors, pour on top of bed of lettuce and top with a little cheddar, sour cream or guacamole, whatever you like.

Caesar Salad - top with whatever protein you like (chicken, shrimp, lean steak). The Cardini's light Caesar is really good and a little goes a long way since this is a tossed salad.

Chef Salad - chop deli meat and eggs, include peppers, onions, tomatoes. I water down my Ranch dressing and toss it. Very good that way!

Grilled chicken Salad - love with Honey Mustard and fresh tomatoes

Buffalo Chicken Salad - Water down my blue cheese, toss lettuce in it, top with grilled chicken dipped/simmered in Buffalo Sauce. Yummy!
  • NWalerys1
    Options
    Whatever salad you make, make sure you have protein in there. The fiber you will get from veggies is great but you need that protein.
    Caesar salad with chicken
    fruit salad maybe for mornings
    house salad with ham and roast beef
    some kind of mexican salad that has beans in it, with corn
    egg salad
    you really can make anything into a salad - be creative! Just don't add too much mayo or butter in because it is high calorie and fatty.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Potato salad, Egg salad, Chicken salad, Pizza salad.

Rigger
  • tmyers541
    Options
    ... Pizza salad.

Rigger

Think we found a winner