too good of a start to be true

Options
I don't know if my scale is just being nice to me but how can I lose approx. 5 lbs in 7 days? does not make sense but I am all smiles. Hope to keep it going. I do know my 170 to 180 chiseled physique is somewhere hiding under the 70-80 lbs I will shed. Best thing is I am all for it and will win!

RIO

Replies

• Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My body behaves this way too. Once I establish a regular daily calorie deficit, it drops approximately 5 pounds of water weight in a few days. It's almost all water. It doesn't mean a thing about long-term weight loss. But smiles are certainly appropriate! It means you're responding to the new eating scheme. It's great!
  • mabzmuzik
    Options
    My body behaves this way too. Once I establish a regular daily calorie deficit, it drops approximately 5 pounds of water weight in a few days. It's almost all water. It doesn't mean a thing about long-term weight loss. But smiles are certainly appropriate! It means you're responding to the new eating scheme. It's great!

thanks for the reply, I was wondering what was going on. Just by having this app on my phone I immediately saw how I was over eating…smh. 180lbs Here I come!
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Of course the corollary is that it's also easy to gain a few pounds quickly for folks like us who have sensitive fluid retention systems. In my case, just one day with calories slightly above maintenance and high sodium intake is enough to make me gain 3 pounds. It can take a week to get back where I was.

In the long run, those sorts of fluctuations don't matter a bit. The overall calorie deficit will have its effect regardless, eventually. That's important to remember!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It's just math. To lose 5 pounds you would have to eat 17,500 calories less in 7 days or burn that much in a week. Highly doubtful. Now if you're one of the super obese, accustomed to eating 4 to 7 thousand calories a day and you cut back to less than 1500, maybe a 5 pound loss could be done in a week, but that doesn't sound like it fits your circumstances.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's normal to lose a lot at first... it's mostly water weight.
  • mabzmuzik
    Options
    I screwed up today. I only ate 751 calories and had 6 cups of water. I did eat 9 jalapeño cheetos for 1 serving so technically I am at 911 calories. I feel full, strange because I have been eating 2000+ calories for past 10 days. Off to bed I go.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks are always awesome, then reality kicks in...sigh...laughs
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Well, the weight loss does mean something since fat is 95% water! The losses will taper off in time, and stop at times as you adjust. But as you level out you will lose, just smaller amounts. Some weeks I lose half a pound, and recently I lost 4.6 in 10 days. Do not starve yourself for results, as this will bring losing to a halt.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I lost 5lbs in my first week. Just water weight. The weight loss will be a slower progression after that.
  • AllieLosingIt
    AllieLosingIt Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I believe the majority of the weight I've lost so far (14 pounds in the last 14 days) has been water weight, too. It can happen pretty fast at first, but it does slow down after that. I'm considering mine a nice "kickstart" because it lets me feel successful in seeing progress almost immediately, even though I know the real work is just getting started. :laugh: