Any shift workers out there?

Options
Hi,
Interested to know if there's any shift workers out there? I work a 12 hour rotating shift 4 weeks on and 2 weeks off. I'm always over my calories and gain on my night shift weeks. Also, I don't sleep enough on rotation whether it's days or nights, I average 3ish hours a day so it's extremely hard to not be hungry when you're awake 21 hours. On off weeks I take off any gain and usually a couple more pounds without any real effort but it's extremely frustrating to keep riding this roller coaster. If it weren't for the gain on my working weeks, I'd probably be at my goal by now. I'd be interested in thoughts, ideas, anything that has worked for you from others in a similar situation?

Replies

• ShellieDerrick
    Options
    I work entirely random 12 hour shifts and I actually find the opposite - during the day shifts I struggle to find easy to pack things that will keep me fuelled enough for the long haul and generally turn to carbs which not only make me feel like crap but I also gain. During the night shifts I actually struggle to eat enough calories and then feel awful that way!

What I am currently doing is planning the meals that I take before - for example I have a 'night shift meal plan' and a 'day shift meal plan'. Since I struggle to eat during the night shifts I take something light like salads to encourage me to eat enough calories. During the day I take sandwiches (with the amazing Hovis wheatgerm!) so I feel fuller for longer.

Also try eating at regular intervals - I try to eat something every 3-4 hours. By the time you've eaten your lunch and begin to feel hungry again, you know you've only got 1-2 hours to wait so don't feel the urge to snack :)

I know this probably hasn't helped much because I'm struggling with the same thing but sometimes it's just helpful to hear what others are attempting!
  • RebelMiltonMom
    RebelMiltonMom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it does help! I'm interested in what others are doing so that maybe I can try a couple different things.
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I work the night shift. I have found the best thing for me is to be consistent with food. I plan my meals and I bring my lunch and snacks with me. I eat every few hours, and I drink mostly water, with a cup of coffee or two. I've noticed that most people eat junk and fastfood. I see my coworkers eating one huge fastfood meal and vending machine food. I think that is a very easy way to gain weight. I'm moving and I just started a new job, so I haven't really been losing any weight, but I've been easily maintaining. And getting plenty of sleep helps as well.

eta: I don't rotate shifts, I probably would not be able to function that way! Try your best to be consistent either way.
  • BigSpoonSA
    BigSpoonSA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My shifts rotate every few months and right now I am on nights. We do 9 hour days 5 on 3 off. I do pretty much what grentea does and plan my meals ahead of time. Snacks are usually a bag of veggies or a pouch of tuna. I drink a lot of water, two cups of coffee and I bring plenty of gum to chew when the sweet cravings hit.

But I feel sleep is the single most important thing when doing shift work. Take whatever steps needed to ensure a decent night's (day's) sleep. Blackout curtains, sleeping mask and ear plugs are all helpful. I try to avoid medications as they give me nasty dreams.
  • seedndground
    seedndground Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey there when I saw your post I had to stop because Im dealing with the same thing. I work 10pm to 6am with 12 hour shifts atleast 1-2x a week. What I have found helpful was when I wrote out my day and ate accordingly. I stop trying to fit my eating schedule in exactly with my familes becasue we were on 2 different schedules and I paid attention to my body and how it reacted to my eating habits and schedule. This may take some time but its better to put the work in to find out what works so you can adust as your schedule changes than to try and wing it. When I didnt plan out my schedule I would eat out the vending machines, stop and get fast foods, eat what ever I had on hand. When I started tracking how my body reacted to my schedule I would adjust and plan, I kept good foods at work, plenty of water at work and in my car, I would keep things with me so I never had an excuse to stop or order something for a quick fix...long post but I hope it helps. I will be keeping an out for some tip on this post.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I work 2nd shift, but only three or four nights a week. There is a long running social thread for 3rd shifters. Lots of folks on there, so lots of info.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1360282-official-nightshift-thread

Good luck,

Larro
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I work 11p-7a 5 days a week.
  • rachiealx
    Options
    I'm a shift worker, doing a range of shifts from 0600 - 1200 right through to 2100-0700, sometimes all in the same week. I find that sometimes it has me craving breakfast in the evenings and my main meal (ever had a beer after nightshift and felt guilty about it? haha!) in the morning. But apart from that, I tend to be okay and I'm steadily losing. I've found that just running my food diary from midnight to midnight instead of for my waking hours is the easiest way to keep track though. What way do you all do it?
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work nights 5x a week 11pm-7am. For me the thing I found is most important of all is sleep. On the nights I work, I'll sleep in the afternoon and get about 6 to 7 hrs. If I get crappy sleep, then everything else just goes downhill from there. I over eat to help me stay awake going over my calories and don't bother excercising since I am too tired. I usually eat 2x in a 24 hr period. Once while at work between 4-6am and again around Noon-2pm. I typically avoid eating at minimum 2 hrs before working out because otherwise I get sick when I do any form of exercise and I also avoid eating 2hr before going to sleep. I find I have to get up and go to the bathroom if I don't, interrupting my sleep.
  • BlueberryWatermelon
    BlueberryWatermelon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I work a nine day cycle -- two day shifts, two night shifts, then five days off. I *always* struggle to stay within my calorie target during my shifts. It's hard because my job is a desk job, and I don't have the time (or energy!) to exercise after a 14-hour day (12 hr shift + 2 hrs of commuting). I pack my own healthy meals, but the more tired I am, the hungrier I get.

I haven't really found a solution, and like you, I think it has stalled my progress a bit. I try to make up for it on my days off. I exercise a lot, and I can easily hit or remain below my calorie goals. But my weight loss has been slooooowwww.

ETA:
    I've found that just running my food diary from midnight to midnight instead of for my waking hours is the easiest way to keep track though. What way do you all do it?

I do this too! It's the best way for me, since I switch between day shifts and night shifts regularly. My last day shift is a loooooong day (since I try to stay awake as late as I can), so I tend to eat more. The day after my last night shift is a short day (I sleep in the morning but try to go to bed early), so I eat less. If I track from midnight to midnight, it all balances out.
  • RebelMiltonMom
    RebelMiltonMom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I do run my food diary midnight to midnight. I try to do 2 meals and small snacks but, as I said, being awake 23 hours some days makes it really hard to keep the count low. I rarely hit the vending machine or eat fast food.

I work 6:30-6:30 either a.m. to p.m. or vice versa, and sometimes both in the same week with an hour for drive and shift change on either side. I know the sleep is a huge factor but with 2 kids it's tough to sleep more than a few hours or I literally won't see them at all and would miss most of their activities. I wish I could figure that part out but I've been at this for almost 6 years and haven't found a way yet!

Seems to be a vicious cycle...gain on shift, lose off. Never a significant gain maybe 2-3 lbs. but it's always one step forward two back!
  • rachiealx
    Options
    Seems to be a vicious cycle...gain on shift, lose off. Never a significant gain maybe 2-3 lbs. but it's always one step forward two back!

It could potentially be the lack of sleep? Not sleeping properly really does mess with your system. You need that time to rest and for your body to repair. I know it's easier said than done working shifts though! It sounds ridiculous, but I make sure to actually pencil 7 hours of sleep into my diary between shifts. If my phone beeps to remind me to get to bed, I go, even if I'm not tired. I think that has helped me.