Masking Oatmeal

Options
I have to admit that I would rather get a root canal before I willingly sat down to a bowl of oatmeal. I have never liked the taste, texture, or smell of it. However, after reading every possible blog, forum, magazine and book out there the one item they all agree upon is you should include in your diet is sugar-free oatmeal. Of course as soon as I read this my gag reflexes started working and before long I was dry heaving at the thought of having to include oatmeal into my diet.

So, after trying several recipes I have come up with my own super snack that includes oatmeal and I thought I would share it with all of you - those who are crazy enough to ACTUALLY like oatmeal and those of you who are like me who can't stand the sight of it.

Ingredients:

1 package of instant, sugar-free oatmeal
1 medium apple
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Directions:

Heat oatmeal as directed on package and let set for a few minutes to thicken. Cut apple into 1 inch slices. Add cinnamon to oatmeal and stir together. Use the apple slices as a spoon to eat the oatmeal.

The crispness of the apple masks the texture of the oatmeal and the cinnamon adds a little sweetness without adding calories. Also, it is suggested that cinnamon helps to increase your metabolism, so that is a nice little bonus.

Nutritional Value:

180 calories; 8g of fiber; 4g protein; 40g carbs; 16g sugar

Overall not a bad little snack to help you through the 3 o'clock slump of the day!

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Good for you for trying something new and finding away to make it work. I happen to be one of those people who love oatmeat. I haven't come across and oatmeal I didn't like.

My thing I tried but was not as forceful as you. I didn't even eat the whole piece was salmon.
    It deffinitly wasn't my thing,
  • grux41
    grux41 Posts: 1
    Options
    I used to snack on oatmeal right out of the package... a little dry but not terrible.

Perhaps you can "dip" your apple in the dry oatmeal and eat it that way. You'll get the nutritional benefit without having to hydrate it into the texture you don't enjoy.
  • lahard0
    lahard0 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't mind oatmeal so much but your recipe actually sounds like a great way to make it better and slightly more filling by adding apple. -SN: I also hate salmon. I refuse to eat it. I don't care how healthy it is, lol.
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm...love it! I've learned to love oatmeal. I'll have to give your recipe a try :o]
  • mountainwoman98
    mountainwoman98 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal but do have a tendency to add a tsp. of chopped nuts to it sometimes to give it some crunch.
  • missmaya24
    missmaya24 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I cook my oatmeal in vanilla almond milk instead of water. It has a nice flavor.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Ok, you need some help here. There are many things you can do with oatmeal, here is a couple hints, if you are going to eat it like you mentioned, try mixing (quick oats, not instant) half and half with grape nuts, cook as per directions on box, a lot better than plan oats. If you can make bread, try adding oats to your bread, or buy oatmeal bread, oatmeal cookies use stevia instead of sugar, and if you need to cut the fat try replacing some of the butter or Crisco with apple sauce, add some nuts, raisins, dried cranberries, blueberries, whatever. Muffins, you can add oatmeal to just about any muffin recipe. You will have to experiment a bit, oat meal will dry out your recipe so add a little or up the liquid some.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    One of the easiest things I do with just plain dry oats is add a couple tablespoons to my protein shakes! It sounds weird, but it blends right and I like the texture and thickness it gives the shake. I make a chocolate protein shake with a spoonful of peanut butter, skim milk and dry oats and it's yummy!

Also, if you don't like instant oatmeal, I recommend trying the old-fashioned. It's WAY less mushy than the instant stuff. I just use skim milk with the oats, and you can add apples or nuts etc to it to give it some more texture. It's chewier and doesn't have that mush factor like the instant packets to. And it only takes like 5 minutes to cook on the stove.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Just add it to a smoothie. I love my Apple Cinnamon Slushy;

1 tbsp quick oats
    ½ cup light cranberry juice
    1 apple, diced (with peal)
    1 cup ice cubes
    dash of cinnamon

now blend
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Ok, you need some help here. There are many things you can do with oatmeal, here is a couple hints, if you are going to eat it like you mentioned, try mixing (quick oats, not instant) half and half with grape nuts, cook as per directions on box, a lot better than plan oats. If you can make bread, try adding oats to your bread, or buy oatmeal bread, oatmeal cookies use stevia instead of sugar, and if you need to cut the fat try replacing some of the butter or Crisco with apple sauce, add some nuts, raisins, dried cranberries, blueberries, whatever. Muffins, you can add oatmeal to just about any muffin recipe. You will have to experiment a bit, oat meal will dry out your recipe so add a little or up the liquid some.

I've never really liked oatmeal either except for the prepackaged peaches & cream and apples & cinnamon. Now I'm going to give your suggestions a try.
  • sarahbear119
    sarahbear119 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have this Cinammon oatmeal from Kashi. I add some blueberries and flax seeds. yum...
  • NuclearGirl
    Options
    Quaker Oats - can't live without them - yum yum!! :love:
  • barberella
    Options
    I definitely agree. You shouldn't eat the instant oatmeal; yet the Quaker oats out of the round box, or any other non-instant kind. Also, something I also try to get some joy out of oatmeals is a cranberry-oatmeal muffin recipe. However, I use very little brown sugar and only use whole wheat flour..And also you can use as a substitute for brown or white sugar is applesauce. It is a good recipe!
  • misshenn78
    Options
    Funny you post this, cause I've been choking down (literally) oatmeal for my morning breakfast. The instant stuff in the package isn't too bad at all - only 130 calories. However, I'm guessing the crunch in the apples would be much better! I did litterally gag this morning! I'm more of a fan of the maple and brown sugar. :)
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    just saw Dr Oz show today, and one of his foods he cant live without, besides walnuts is oatmeal, which is one of the best foods besides brocollli you can put in your mouth

also, surprisingly, since theres nothing in the house to eat ,I had 2 servings of oatmeal, one about 9, the other about 11, and Im not hungry in the least............go figure, wished I d have known about this 10 year s ago, lol

I just put blue berries in mine, have one cup and Im set for the day...........What is interesting, is that Im not the least bit hungry, and that was 5 hours ago when I had my oatmeal........I think you may want to reconsider the value of it and include it in your diet.......Lloyd
  • adpape
    adpape Posts: 7
    Options
    I have to agree with the gag thing...I've tried, I can't do it.

I've been trying steel cut oats which has more of a grain (think rice or barley) texture and is a little more tolerable.

I also like to coat chicken breast or fish in oats as a healthier "shake and bake" option. Mix the oats with pepper/seasoning of your choice and a tbsp or 2 of parmesan...its pretty good.

Will also try your apple slices but maybe with dry oats or my steel cut...
  • garethf
    garethf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    OM NOM NOM NOM!!

If you can't stand oatmeal (you get used to it, now i just cook it with water, actually tbh it's kinda bland), try it in a smoothie!!!

Say, 200ml low fat milk, oats, some berries etc, bit of honey, bit of juice/water and you're good to go!

Oatmeal is the breakfast of champions.
  • mvedas
    mvedas Posts: 69
    Options
    This sounds delicious, thanks for sharing!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I find all this talk of adding different things to oatmeal to mask the flavour to be disgusting.

It should be eaten the proper traditional way...boiled in milk or water and nothing added.

Guess what I have for breakfast every day. :laugh:
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    First off, good for you for making a healthy change!

I think you will get used to eating oatmeal the more you play with it. Try old-fashioned or rolled oats; they're not as mushy as instant. Also, try adding a scoop of yogurt to your apple/oatmeal mixture. I eat this all the time and I think its delicious. (add the yogurt after your oatmeal is cooked and your cinnamon and apple are already stirred in. then sprinkle some more cinnamon just for fun. :smile: )

Other things to try are a similar grain for breakfast. Barley, grano, cous cous, quinoa, and brown rice are all healthy grains as well! Barley is similar to oatmeal, however its easier to cook it in a way that it remains crunchy. You may find that you like the texture of one of these grains more! And remember, you can flavor any of them that same as you would oats.