Decaf coffee?

Options
Someone saw me drinking decaf coffee all the time and they asked me if it was better for the liver?

I'm not sure myself as I've never had liver problems. Infact I didn't even know caffeine effects the liver. I only drink decaf because it doesn't keep me awake all night like regular coffee.

Thoughts?

Replies

• FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the liver but I do know that studies show it raises cholesterol if you drink it regularly and it's a natural diuretic so I would definitely drink extra water to compensate for me, personally I drank so much coffee that I developed an allergy to caffeine and even the thought of drinking it gives me anxiety at this point so I occasionally have a decaf coffee.

Decaf, just like caffeinated coffee, shouldn't be an everyday thing in my opinion but a treat is okay :flowerforyou:
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    I don't know about the liver but I do know that studies show it raises cholesterol if you drink it regularly and it's a natural diuretic so I would definitely drink extra water to compensate for me, personally I drank so much coffee that I developed an allergy to caffeine and even the thought of drinking it gives me anxiety at this point so I occasionally have a decaf coffee.

Decaf, just like caffeinated coffee, shouldn't be an everyday thing in my opinion but a treat is okay :flowerforyou:

I don't really know then how much is too much. I drink 2-4 cups a day.
  • FaylinaMeir
    Options

I don't really know then how much is too much. I drink 2-4 cups a day.

in my OPINION that is too much. No one should drink coffee everyday. I know people do it but it affects your adrenal glands, and can upset your mental clarity (I assume caffeinated coffee mainly on that one) . Honestly at the end of the day it's up to you what to do with your body. Just my two ¢ dear.

Quick google search I got these links:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/788017

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20051116/decaf-coffee-may-raise-heart-risks
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    Okay then...
  • sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think, as with everything, you can find as many articles that say things are bad for you as there as many that say something is good for you.

http://authoritynutrition.com/why-is-coffee-good-for-you/

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/coffee-new-health-food

I personally only drink decaff as caffeine makes me bounce off the walls. It's like that that other old chestnut alcohol, how much is to much & what amount is beneficial??
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,034 Member
    Options
    Meh, I drink weak caffeinated coffee , (1 level teaspoon of Nescafe) about 3 cups per day and sometimes a weak cappacino as well - I dont think this poses the slightest risk for my liver or anything else.

If caffeine is going to harm your liver or anything else, it would only do so in mega quantities.
    People drinking normal amounts of coffee per day are at no risk at all.

If you prefer decaf OP then drink it.
    For those who prefer caffeinated, drink that.
    If you want neither , drink neither.

None of above scenarios are at all risky, just personal preference.
  • OllyJ_79
    OllyJ_79 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Actually caffeine has been shown to help protect the liver in moderate amounts:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/550870-high-levels-caffeine-cause-liver-damage/

Effects of Caffeine

A study in a 2007 issue of "Nigerian Journal of Physiological Sciences" reports that caffeine may suppress liver scarring in patients with chronic liver disease.

The buildup of scar tissue blocks blood flow to the liver, impairing the organ’s ability to function and heal itself. Additionally, a 19-year-long study of just under 10,000 people showed that drinking a moderate amount of caffeine-containing beverages each day significantly reduces your risk of developing chronic liver disease, as noted in a 2005 issue of "Gastroenterology." More specifically, those in the study who drank two or more cups of coffee or tea per day developed chronic liver disease half as often as those who consumed less than a cup a day.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Health_Letter/2012/January/what-is-it-about-coffee

Coffee drinking is associated with lower levels of enzymes that indicate liver damage and inflammation. Coffee may improve response to some treatments for hepatitis C. Findings suggest some protection against liver cancer. Cafestol and kahweol, substances found in unfiltered coffee, may be responsible for liver benefits.
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    Hah! Classic mfp debate...Which side would/should I choose???? :tongue:
  • OllyJ_79
    OllyJ_79 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Personally I always go by facts established by scientific studies, like below. Anything else is usually motivated by ulterior motives such as profit from one side of industry i.e health foods etc

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2801884/
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    Personally I always go by facts established by scientific studies, like below. Anything else is usually motivated by ulterior motives such as profit from one side of industry i.e health foods etc

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2801884/

I agree... I love science... :wink:
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    :drinker:
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    single kcup of decaf coffee w/ Davinci SF Syrup and HWC is pretty much a morning staple for me.
  • FaylinaMeir
    Options
    yes caffeine has been show to have some effects but 4 or more cups a day is too much plus she asked about DECAF coffee :laugh: which really has no benefits
  • sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's shown that it's not just the caffeine that benefits us in coffee.

There's antioxidents & polyphenols etc, just like red wine, these protect from things like diabetes, Parkinsons & Alzheimers as well as other things. Removing the caffeine does not remove these properties. Also decaf anything is not completely caffeine free just very low caffeine.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,034 Member
    Options
    yes caffeine has been show to have some effects but 4 or more cups a day is too much plus she asked about DECAF coffee :laugh: which really has no benefits

Why is it too much?
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options

You should see my brother he drinks 10-11 cups a day. And it's not even decaf.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Why is it too much?

Because that poster has anxiety related to coffee lol

OP, in my opinion decaf coffee doesnt deserve the name coffee! It doesn't taste lile it and is just bleh lol

caffeine-tattoo-7.jpg
    ^not my tat lol

That aside, I get the point of decaf, I'm just teasing you.
    I have no science one way or the other to add to this convo - I really just wanted to post the pic =]

Sidenote: Folgers makes a half-caff version now. My mother's doctor suggested it to her since she drinks about 2 pots of coffee a day.
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options

Why is it too much?

OP, in my opinion decaf coffee doesnt deserve the name coffee! It doesn't taste lile it and is just bleh lol

caffeine-tattoo-7.jpg
    ^not my tat lol

I have no science one way or the other to add to this convo - I really just wanted to post the pic =]

Sidenote: Folgers makes a half-caff version now. My mother's doctor suggested it to her since she drinks about 2 pots of coffee a day.

Haha all good. Like I said I wasn't drinking it for any sort of benefit and didn't even know it had any. I just drink it because it doesn't keep me awake at night. I drink it at night because I fast from 2pm-7am and it curbs my appetite.

For me though I don't taste the difference. But then I also don't taste a difference between regular and diet coke. :wink: I have weak taste buds :laugh:
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Why is it too much?

caffeine-tattoo-7.jpg
    ^not my tat lol

Haha all good. Like I said I wasn't drinking it for any sort of benefit and didn't even know it had any. I just drink it because it doesn't keep me awake at night. I drink it at night because I fast from 2pm-7am and it curbs my appetite.

For me though I don't taste the difference. But then I also don't taste a difference between regular and diet coke. :wink: I have weak taste buds :laugh:

Not bashing the fasting - I do it as well.

But why the 7a-2pm eating window?
    I'd die lol
    I do 12pm-9pm.
    Just a thought a later eating window might be more beneficial for you and then you can drink real coffee =P
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options

Why is it too much?

caffeine-tattoo-7.jpg
    ^not my tat lol

Not bashing the fasting - I do it as well.

But why the 7a-2pm eating window?
    I'd die lol
    I do 12pm-9pm.
    Just a thought a later eating window might be more beneficial for you and then you can drink real coffee =P

I binge if I eat between 3-9pm. Those are my weak times. :wink: This way I exclude them completely. Working so far. :tongue: Plus I must eat breakfast before I exercise. And lunch is our biggest meal of the day.