Im not new,but am i doing this wrong?...HELP ME!

Options
I dont know why im having such a hard time......this is the second (real go) time that i have decided to lose /weight/get in shape. I have four children (11,8,6,2) and im sick of looking as if i am expecting a fifth.
My first go round with mfp i lost 15 lbs or so with little effort. Mostly just eating better and doing home work out programs (p90x/turbo jam and the like) Needless to say life happend and i gained most of the weight back.
I have now joined a gym, working out from home just wasn't working for me and tbh i just needed the time away from the house. Im enjoying going to the gym (i go about 5days a week) and the diet......has not been going well. (Or i should say in my head its not going well) My husband keeps telling me to stop stressing out about what i eat. Just cut out the crap, eat when im hungry and drink lots of water. Makes sense to me i guess im just worried that if i dont track, i will go off track. Does that make sense?
Up till a few days ago i was doing mainly cardio at the gym. Breaking a good sweat on the treadmill, and lifting light weights in the
"woman's area" ......yeah i know. I dont have a ton of weight to lose, maybe another 15 lb but i dont feel like what i have been doing is working.
New plan.........follow hubbys advice, 1500-1600 cals per day of whole foods, good foods. Rice cakes arent working this time obviously!:embarassed: less cardio more weights. Im still a big chicken so i made my hubby come to the gym with me last night and show me/ make me feel less like a jerk/let me hide behind him in the main work out area at the gym. apparently my husband was channelling Jillian micheals last night cause he worked my *kitten* off in the weight room. I felt fantastic!
To my point question whatever......i know there is no one right answer/program but, is what my husband saying legit? Less stressing, less cardio,more lifting?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i know there is no one right answer/program but, is what my husband saying legit? Less stressing, less cardio,more lifting?

pretty much, yes!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yep, he's all over it. Also, sounds like you have a fantastic support system there!
  • arwenmakin
    arwenmakin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    yep - listen to him! he's right!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • my_chrystal82
    my_chrystal82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Look up cortisol (stress hormone) online and the correlation to women's nervous systems and metabolism. The more stressed you are, the more fat your body will hang on to.
  • cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you! And yes my husband has been pretty great about all this! Now to get over my fear of the main weight room because i cant rely on him forever right:sad:
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Thank you! And yes my husband has been pretty great about all this! Now to get over my fear of the main weight room because i cant rely on him forever right:sad:

that's something that will subside with time. before long you're gonna own that weight room!
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I think he's partly right and partly wrong. He's right with the calorie goal, but I don't see why it has to be all whole foods. I still eat crisps and chocolate pretty much daily and a takeaway meal once a week.

I think it's great that he's so supportive of you at the gym, but don't lose sight of the fact that you were more than managing on your own and that the "me time" also holds value.
  • cnjbarry
    Options

that's something that will subside with time. before long you're gonna own that weight room!

God i hope so! Im sure once i know what I'm doing i will be ok.........:blushing:
  • cnjbarry
    Options
    I think he's partly right and partly wrong. He's right with the calorie goal, but I don't see why it has to be all whole foods. I still eat crisps and chocolate pretty much daily and a takeaway meal once a week.

I think it's great that he's so supportive of you at the gym, but don't lose sight of the fact that you were more than managing on your own and that the "me time" also holds value.

I have 0 will power when it comes "snack foods" so im probably better to stay away from the all together! And as to me time, once i know which machines/weights /exercises to do i will be back to going on my own. I do enjoys the time away :)
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options

Rice cakes arent working this time obviously!:embarassed:

You'll get plenty of advice, but I just had to laugh at this - one thing I told myself when I started this whole thing in January was that I'm not eating any more damn rice cakes! Haha.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options

I don't know if it is financially an option for you, but it seems that you respond well and enjoy having someone "cheer" you on - maybe you should look into getting yourself a trainer from your gym? They can show you all of the machines, give you the routine for YOUR body, and help motivate you...
    Again, if it is financially an option...
  • cnjbarry
    Options
    I think a trainer may be in my future