Hi everyone...I'm new here

Options
I am new here, but have a few friends that have been telling me about this site for a while. I finally stepped on the scale, saw that number and freaked out!!! I figured that I had been trying to do it on my own for some time and that wasn't working, so why not join this site and see if that helps? I don't have anything to lose, except weight, if it doesn't work.

I have been very interested in the Protein Power diet where you cut out all carbs for the first two weeks and then slowly add them back in under a certain amount. My dad did this before his open heart surgery and lost 27 lbs in two weeks. I know that isn't a healthy amount to lose that quickly, but after those two weeks, his weight loss slowed down. All in all, on that diet, he lost around 75lbs. So, I was interested in that and was wondering if anyone else had experience with it.

By the way, I want to add that while I want to lose weight overnight, I know it's not going to happen and I have to be very patient and not get discouraged when I don't see results overnight.

So, welcome me here and give me advice!!!

Shelly

Replies

• sbogard98
    Options
    I am new here, but have a few friends that have been telling me about this site for a while. I finally stepped on the scale, saw that number and freaked out!!! I figured that I had been trying to do it on my own for some time and that wasn't working, so why not join this site and see if that helps? I don't have anything to lose, except weight, if it doesn't work.

I have been very interested in the Protein Power diet where you cut out all carbs for the first two weeks and then slowly add them back in under a certain amount. My dad did this before his open heart surgery and lost 27 lbs in two weeks. I know that isn't a healthy amount to lose that quickly, but after those two weeks, his weight loss slowed down. All in all, on that diet, he lost around 75lbs. So, I was interested in that and was wondering if anyone else had experience with it.

By the way, I want to add that while I want to lose weight overnight, I know it's not going to happen and I have to be very patient and not get discouraged when I don't see results overnight.

So, welcome me here and give me advice!!!

Shelly
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    AddEmoticons0975.gif I'm still kind of a newbie myself and am still learning. You'll find the greatest group of folks here with lots of great advice and tons of support!

:flowerforyou:
  • Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome Shelly,

How nice would that be to lose weight overnight :wink:
  • Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    oops sry, accidently doubled posted :bigsmile:
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • mandanroger08
    Options
    welcome. if you ever wanna talk or anything just send me a message. i'm sorta new to i've only been here since monday but i've already lost 2 pounds. good luck
  • sbogard98
    Options
    Thanks for all the warm welcomes so far.

I have a couple of questions and I'm sure that the answers are going to vary depending on the person's body type and shape.

~ What is a realistic amount of weight to lose to go down a dress size and is it possible to do it in a month? I almost really need to go up a size, but I refuse to do that. I will not buy any clothing that is bigger than what I wear. If I have nothing to wear, then I have to do something, right?

~ What is the best type of exercises to do if you can't do a lot with your legs? I messed my knee up when I was younger and if I walk a lot, it hurts, I can't do lunges or squats, it will kill my knee. Maybe if I build up to it, but right now, it's not an option.

~ Any suggestions on how I can get more water in my daily intake? Right now, it's really that I do not drink water, period unless you count tea that I drink. Does flavored water count? I can do that, but plain water does not appeal to me right now. Maybe slowly I can incorporate it in the diet.

I really want to make this work this time and succeed and lose the weight that I really need to lose, so I am looking for any and all suggestions to help me out.

THanks, guys! I'm already super motivated.
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! :)
  • mknipp
    mknipp Posts: 106
    Options
    Welcome! You've come to the right place! I've been here since July 1 and have lost 14 pounds with only about 25 to go :blushing:

As for water: I don't like it either, so first thing in the morning, I fill a glass (a regular glass holds 16 oz. or so). I drink it down first thing, then refill it and cover it for later. I have breakfast (usually oatmeal, toast, applesauce, and green tea); then before lunch, I drink that room-temperature glass of water. Being room-temp makes it go down easily and I hardly taste it at all. I refill the glass, cover it and have lunch (usually a Lean Cuisine or salad); then just before dinner, I drink that room-temp glass of water. i'll have a salad, or something simple with few calories. (Large breakfast, medium lunch, small dinner, and good snacks in between). So far, it's working! I keep snacks, like 100-cal. Pringles (which REALLY take away my appetite), or that 25-cal. Raymundo's fruit & gel, or even the 5-cal. cups (4 oz.) of Jello. There's even a Skinny Cow 50-cal fudge ice cream bar, and I just found a Blue Bunny 35-cal fudge ice cream bar that stand in for the wonderful Three Musketeers bar I gave up. I used to get the Mrs. Freshly's Cream Filled Swiss Rolls; they say 100 cal on the box, but come two in a pack, which meant I ended up eating both of them for 200 cals. :embarassed: Then about 8:00pm, I drink that last glass of water and refill it for tomorrow. That does it for the water and you'd be surprised how much it helps to keep digestion moving and appetite satisfied!

Exercise: I walk, even with my bad knees, but if you can't do that, there's a DVD I found called "30-Minute Express Above the Belt" by Michelle Rotell, Fitness Instructor. I found it at WalMart, and it seems to work very well when I don't feel like treking around the blocks for 30 minutes or using the treadmill, which is worse on my knees than walking outside. Even walking through the house for 15-30 minutes counts. I got one of those "Go Walking Talking Calorie Counter" pedometers at WM for about $13. It's very inspiring and I wear it all day. It tells you how many calories you've burned, steps walked, miles walked, and how many minutes/hours you've walked.

Hope this helps and isn't too long. You can do this. I'm 63 and not in the best of health, but I'm lovin' it (and not Mickey Dees, either :tongue: )!

Best wishes for SUCCESS!
    Marti
  • sbogard98
    Options
    I also have joined a program that my work offers where you sign up for it. You get a free pedometer and you can hook it right up to the computer for easy tracking. It automatically logs your steps, calories, etc. Plus, once you reach certain goals, you get gift cards for wherever you decide. It's awesome.

I know that will give me some motivation as well, because who doesn't like shopping?!?!?

I do better with ice cold water than room temp.
  • sbogard98
    Options
    So, it's the end of the day and I still have 170 calories to spare that I didn't eat. I guess that is ok though. It really helps when you take the time and put it in writing what you are eating, drinking, etc. Now I just have to make a habit of doing this every day and we shall see how easy this is going to be for me...At least I hope so.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Hey girlie! I call that "scale shock." Yulp...I had it as well..

::sigh::

You can so do this!!! Just stay motivated through thick or thin. Errrr...no pun intended...But keep up your logging and plan your days! Hooray for taking the first step!:flowerforyou:
  • sbogard98
    Options
    ok, so far, i've lost 8 pounds....sweet huh?

I stopped taking the depo shot and I think that is helping too. But starting tomorrow, my boyfriend is not going to be eating as many carbs to prepare for his body building competition in November. I am going to follow his diet (catered to my caloric intake of course) but I think that this will help and then once I get in that habit, maybe I will be in the next competition!!
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    ok, so far, i've lost 8 pounds....sweet huh?

I stopped taking the depo shot and I think that is helping too. But starting tomorrow, my boyfriend is not going to be eating as many carbs to prepare for his body building competition in November. I am going to follow his diet (catered to my caloric intake of course) but I think that this will help and then once I get in that habit, maybe I will be in the next competition!!

That's great! I'm happy for you. One of the neat (did I just say "neat"?) things about this site is that everyone is different and there are so many ways to go about getting the weight off and use the database as your constant guide. It's all about finding what works for you. Keep at it!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    When I first started i took out 4 16 oz bottles of water and put them on the kitchen table, in plain view. If i saw i still had water left I got down to business ( i would exchange them with the ones in the fridge) If going into the office I would freeze 1-2 bottles. as they thaw you have nice cold water to drink

the body wants..NEEDS water so the more you drink the more you will want. I know I thought that was stupid cuz i actually threw up the 1st few bottles. NOW I HAVE to have my water. I search for it, i long for it. I carry a case in my trunk!

I found the elliptical machine at the gym was much easier on my knees. It is a hard machine at first, but keep at it.

Welcome! and good luck on your new journey.