YEA TEAM MFP! GO Jadiagle, Steff, and familybugs!

Options

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    COME ON GUYS! CHEER THEM ON!

TEAM MFP--CHARGE! 1053178878.gif
  • shorerider
    Options
    you-make-bunny-cry-20M.jpg

YOU'RE NOT CHEERING!
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Wow this is awesome!!

Good luck guys! We're here cheering you on!! Best of luck! :heart:

(and lol @ SNL photos -- they made me giggle, loved those skits!)
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    Ride report

I am back

I made it.

Sorry for being so short. I had only a few hours continuous sleep last night and am very very tired'

I'll post a detailed report later.

Thank you for all your support, it really means a lot to me!

Steff
  • shorerider
    Options
    Ride report

I am back

I made it.

Sorry for being so short. I had only a few hours continuous sleep last night and am very very tired'

Steff

woohoo.gifwoohoo.gif
    WAY TO GO, STEFF!

Congrats! I know how big an accomplishment that Century was for you! I knew you could do it. Can't wait to hear details--how long did it take? Any problems? How many breaks--how often? What kind of food??
  • shorerider
    Options
    Ride report

I am back

I made it.

Steff

woohoo.gifwoohoo.gifwoohoo.gifwoohoo.gif
    WAY TO GO, STEFF!

Congrats! I know how big an accomplishment that Century was for you! I knew you could do it. Can't wait to hear details--how long did it take? Any problems? How many breaks--how often? What kind of food??
  • shorerider
    Options
    Ride report

I am back

I made it.

Steff

woohoo.gifwoohoo.gifwoohoo.gifwoohoo.gif
    WAY TO GO, STEFF!

• jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Congrats Steff! Way to go! I can't wait to hear your report. Get a good meal, stretch and get some rest.

J
  • stschulz
    Options
    OK here we go. Report. For all those people who were cheering. Made me a mile faster guys!

I had prepared for that event for three month, and today was the day. For some reason that I have not figured out yet I did not sleep much the night before the event. I don't think I was really nervous. Anyway, did not get much more than a couple hours continuous sleep. When the alarm rang in the morning I was tired. Very tired. But... I said I'd do it, I had taken a whole weekend off, so I got to go. No excuses! It was an opportunity to learn what it feels like in events longer than 100 miles when you have to ride with very little sleep. Maybe some caffeine would help. I settled for a Starbucks since you can't buy that real espresso here that is so thick that the spoon sticks in it. At 06:50 I arrived in the parking lot of the school. Where the event started. the event. There were quite a few people there when I arrived But the parking lot was not full as I would be in maybe an hour. I payed my starter fee, got on my bike and off I was.

Right within the first two miles there was a pretty steep hill that we rode down. I thought about having to ride back up there again at the end as I knew we would come back this way. Back up there after almost 100 miles? Oh my.... Anyway. The first miles where just warm up and settling in. My infamous cue-sheet holder did not work at all, so I had no chance to read the cue sheet anytime while riding. Turns out that it was not necessary. The roads where marked with arrows at every turn and it was almost impossible to miss them. Plus there were so many other riders that you could always see where they turn and pay more attention to the signs.

After a while I saw a bike way back in my mirror that I instantly identified as “not an upwrong”. I slowed down a little and met a gentleman who rode a Tour Easy. We rode together for a few miles until the coffe forced me to take an emergency pit stop. After 20 miles I arrived a rest stop #1. Didn't even refill my Gatorade sinde I knew the next stop was only 16 miles down the road. Ate some Clif Shot Bloks (wonderful product, soooo easy to reaplace electrolytes!) and a PB sandwich and pressed on. I wasn't feeling to bad, the first 40 to 50 miles of my longer rides usually fly by, and I was not as tired as I thought I'd be. Still many rider on the road. Some roadies riding in groups that just fly by. Here I am, old turtle Steff, slowly churning my miles. I had explicit instructions to pace myself and every intention to listen to that advise. Didn;t chase people, did not try to catch anybody, just slowly but surely piled up the miles. Rest stop 2 was at mile 36, and here the moment of truth came: 65 or a 100? Confidently I turned my bike to the 100 mile option.

Now there were way less riders on the road than before! No more following anybody in turns, I had to pay attention to the signs. The club has however done an excellent job marking the route. No problem at all. After 22 more miles on quiet and flat country roads I arrived at rest stop 3.

Different story. Only a few people, and you could see a few tired, hurting, struggling. Some faces were now familiar from previous stops. A little chit chat, refill the Gatorade, eat, and continue. Knowing that I had already more than half of the distance and was still feeling good made it easier. It was at that time that I checked my average speed and discovered that I was about a mile faster than I usually am. Dang! And that was pacing myself. Honestly. I kept riding at what ever speed I felt comfortable. A little depressed that many of those riders on the rest stops kept passing me. Again. But this is not a race! And obviously, since I met the same people over and over again, I kept up with them. Rest stop 4 was the same as rest stop 2. Getting a little tired, I started feeling my legs at times. But I only looked at the next 14 miles to rest stop 5. 14 miles is not that far!. And there was pizza waiting at rest stop 5! The cue sheet had a slip for 2 slices of pizza and a soda. Nice. That greasy pizza and a coke (which I usually never drink) were just wonderful. A few chairs and a table to sit on. And only 15 miles left! Now that I can do since I made it so far!

I was really energized, even kinda rested. After 10 miles that hill came back in my mind again. Had to come up soon. I was riding up a few minor climbs, but they were easy because I had plenty of speed left from the downhill part leading into them. Knowing I'd be there very soon I just pedaled as fast and hard as possible on the downhill part and the rest was a breeze. That hill still did not come. I know it's there waiting for me.... Mile 99. Still no hill. I was on the right track. Hmmm.... must have been one of those little hills I was flying up just a few minutes ago. Funny that it looked so easy now at the end and much worse in the beginning.

I turned back into the school parking lot at mile 101. First century finished. It was a beautiful ride.
  • shorerider
    Options
    PIZZA!! Alright! I hope they have pizza on my ride! Since I got those slicks, I'm considering going for a full century in October instead of the Metric.

But sounds great, Steff! How long did it take you? What was your average speed?

And congrats on that first Century! I read that they just get easier after the first one....yeah, right!

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif
  • nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    congrats. that is amazing. great job.
  • stschulz
    Options
    PIZZA!! Alright! I hope they have pizza on my ride! Since I got those slicks, I'm considering going for a full century in October instead of the Metric.

But sounds great, Steff! How long did it take you? What was your average speed?

And congrats on that first Century! I read that they just get easier after the first one....yeah, right!

Ok I'll answer all that. But first: if you are comfortable as far as control of blood glucose goes, definetly and by all means go for the century! I tell you why: when you ride alone, you are on your own. Yes you can call hubby in emergencies But you need to plan the route, check the map constantly, make sure you have places to refill. In an event like this, that is all taken care off! All you have to do is get on your bike and pedal. And worst case scenario there is a SAG wagon. I saw a few people using that option.:ohwell:
    After that ride yesterday I'd say a century is a nice and easy trainings ride where you don't have to worry about anything. You can do the metric part and just blast down the road as fast as you can. No worries.

It took me a little more than 8 hrs:embarassed: Average 13.2 miles. Slow!!!!! Turtle speed. But hey, this was after 3 month training starting at 4 miles a day working up to 100. I'll work on the speed in the off season and next year. I saw people blasting by with 20+ miles. At the end though, at about mil;e 60 or 70, those who were left got slower too.

How many breaks? 5. This ride was the 10 year anniversary of the Shorefire century. The local club organizes that extremely well. Really great job. There are directon arrows painted on the road at every turn, you do not even need the cue sheet. And the rest stops are organized and placed very smart. They have 3, but 2 of them you use on the fulll century twice, on your way to and back from the most distant point. So no rest stop was further than 30 miles away. You can do that on one big bottle of fluid. Food? Bananas, Watermelon, PB sandwiches, muffins, cake, Clif bloks... really good cycling food. And of course pizza at the last stop:smile: .

Again: if you pay the starter fee for a ride anyway look at it as just an other trainings ride and go for the longest distance. I will never be that easy on other rides! Are they getting easier after the first one? I guess so. You get more routine, you get more training and experience and you probably get faster. When I go on a long ride the first 40 - 50 miles seem to be really easy and fly by fast. I guess I can ride 60 miles any time right now. From there to 100 is really not as far as you think it is.
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Steff, congrats; I'll read your posts after I've showered; but I just wanted to let everyone know that I finished! .6 mile swim; 17.5 mile bike and 3.4 mile run. I exceeded all of my goals, and ate that bagel before 9:35 this morning!
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am so impressed by everyone! Makes me wish I had a bike. :sad: Then again, it's been so long since I rode on a real bike, I'd have to teach myself all over again. :blushing:

Way to go Steff!! Can hardly wait to hear how jadaigle did and how familybugs will do!
  • shorerider
    Options
    WAHOO!! Great job on the Triathlon! WOW--I'm impressed by your times! Hope I do any where near that on my ride during the Tri.

Steff--sounds great! I'm seriously thinking of trying for a full century--especially since it is looking like I might not get to do the Seagull. Some stuff has come up that will probably keep me from heading up that way :frown: Will have to see.

thanks for the information! I'm going to take a few days off the bike then see how much "easier" the long distances are on the slicks.
  • stschulz
    Options
    Congratulations jadaigle. Great accomplishment. I could maybe learn to swim that distance, probably ride the bike (:wink: ) but run 3.4 miles? No way!

I am very impressed. A Triathlon, any length, is probably the hardest competition one can sign up for.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Yay Steff!! Thats so awesome!! Congrats!!! :bigsmile:
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    It is the tenacity of MFP members like Jad and Stschulz that make my day and help me imagine the possiblities of my own life. ( Hmmm kitesurfing anyone? :tongue: ) Congratulations to you both!!

Shorerider...many good wishes your way because you know how to be a good buddy to all! :wink:

~Namaste :flowerforyou:

~Mi
  • shorerider
    Options
    It is the tenacity of MFP members like Jad and Stschulz that make my day and help me imagine the possiblities of my own life. ( Hmmm kitesurfing anyone? :tongue: ) Congratulations to you both!!

Shorerider...many good wishes your way because you know how to be a good buddy to all! :wink:

~Namaste :flowerforyou:

~Mi

golly gee :blushing: ....thank you so much!
  • stschulz
    Options
    Gee thanks Carrie and Lavender.

Lavender, if you can imagine it, you can do it. I know it's hard to believe, but these long rides are more a mental thing than anything else. Least part of it is physical fitness.

And yes, Shore is a good buddy. That was really nice of her to start this thread. Made me faster for sure!